Suspension setup advice - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-07-2006, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Suspension setup advice

Hi guys, I've been lurking and searching this forum for a while now, and though I'd finally say hello and post. Thanks to this kick arse site I bought a 2005 ZX10R Titanium colour :), and what can I say.... what an awsome machine... its got some monster power.

I've been going up to the mountain roads recently, which can be bumpy at times, and whenever I entered a corner it would just feel real unstable.. wobbling around.... I couldn't keep a straight line no matter what. I checked the tire pressure and the front was below 30 and rear around 34. Now I am on stock tires, and I upped the pressure to 36/37 the other day. I will upgrade the tires once I get some cash.

It rained for a few days so pissed at this unsable handling that inspired no confidence I decided to set my sag with rider.

My weight: 214pounds with gear

- Front sag was 5 lines showing which was like way over 40mm sag. I adjusted it to barely 2 lines showing and got it down to 34.5mm

Does this sound about right?

-The standard rear sag gave me 30mm so I left that as is....

- Front compression damping i backed to 11 from fully hard to prevent harshness. Original was 7
- Front rebound I set to 7 from fully turned... Original being 9 is this ok?

- Rear compression damping I set to 5 turns (Original 3) out as I have heard that it is too harsh... which might be causing my bobbing around as soon as i hit bumps.
-Rear rebound I set to 1 turn(Originally 1 3/4) to prevent it from coming back too fast and creating more bobbing.

Now I went for a ride before... couldn't really test it out as it started to rain AGAIN, but i feel that now the front does not dip down so much.. which before was causing me to slide down and force me onto the tank and bars with heavy braking. I think its much more more neutral feeling now which i like. I am worried that it is too much preload.

I did not try and heavy braking but it seems there is 1 1/2 inches of fork travel left.. so that might go to 1 inch with some high speed braking. Does my preload sound right? The front is a lot tighter now but not harsh for me at all. I didn't really get to any corners, but I might take some force to dip into the corners in more.. again i might just be tripping out.. I will test on a better day, but if is the case, what could be done to better this? I think it will be much better at holding a line now though... still yet to test...

Please feel free to comment on my rebound and damping settings guys! Thanks for the forum. Later!

Mag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

If you are at 34.5mm front sag for street riding then your preload is fine (I'm assuming you measured for sag correctly). Track you want 30mm front and rear sag. But you should adjust your rear preload to match your front, they should be the same. As far as setting compression/rebound well, you'll have to ride it alot and tinker with it alot to get it right for you.

Last edited by Otis; 09-07-2006 at 07:39 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Cool... yeah I'm setting it up for street riding at the moment, I usually ride up to the nice mountain roads up here for some faster paced riding. Any compression and rebound setting ideas for good stability and turn in? Should i back my front compression fully out since i've got 2 lines front preload or is 11 a good baseline to work from? Thanks.

Mag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-07-2006, 06:58 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Not sure about your clicks but the sag settings are a little difficult to set up on the 10. Most all the suspension people (GMD, Traxxion, CPR) suggest 10/30 for the rear and 20/35 on the front. The stock shock had hardly no rebound so you can back it almost all the way out. The forks really are pretty good from factory for street riding. I would stick with the factory settings and work on the rear a little.
If you can get a set of pilot powers or the qualifiers, you will notice a immediate difference, more so than the suspension changes.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-07-2006, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I'm a bit confused there madkaw, I though the rear shock had too much compression, so I backed it out to 5 turns.. max being like 6. Should I back out the rebound as well.. or in? I turned it fully clockwise, then backed it out 1 turn (original being 1 3/4 turns), meaning it wont extend back as quick yeah? Not too sure on what to do with the rear rebound did you mean all the way clockwise?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-08-2006, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I just went for a ride with that last setup and all I can say is WOW!!! The bike is a totally different bike... its like its on rails now... just point and go... holds its line really well, and dips in nicely. To all the people doing magazine setups.. guys set your sag, I've noticed a massive difference! I'm still grinning from the fun I had. I can't imagine what its gonna be like when i get new tyres. I'm gonna keep it like this for a while and see how I go, probably make a few small changes once I get a better feel to it. Thanks for the help dudes.

Mag.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-08-2006, 07:45 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If you take the spring off the shock and compress it then let it go even with the rebound backed all the way out the shaft just stays in the shock. It should push back oput by itself slowly. What I meant was that the spring is doing all of the rebounding and not much of the shock itself. I had to back the rebound all but 1 turn ccwise because I was wheel hopping under heavy braking due to the lack of rebound. Then I got wise and got a penske....
post #8 of 11 Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

You have a 2005 and I have a 2004, and there are some differences in the internals, but from what I've seen, your changes were all in the right direction and are probably pretty close to right. Proper set-up does make a huge difference.

Madkaw, the situation you describe is consistent with a shock that has no gas pressure left in it ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #9 of 11 Old 09-09-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Hey GoFaster... I read a lot of your posts too... I think I was using your rear setting to set my rear up, which took a lot of that harshness away. And the preload made it a whole new bike.
Madkaw, I think if I took out all my rebound out of the shock it would pogo around like crazy like before, but then I guess there can be differences in bikes..... hehe I'd love to get a penske, but I think i'll need to increase my skill and get some more cash before I change the suspension over. Or maybe when i hit the track at the end of the year, i'll get the bug and i'll end up buying everything. How much do they cost anyway?

Mag.

btw. what do you guys think i should get next, pilot powers or a steering damper? Anyone got any good tyre suggestions other than PPs ... what about the 190/55 profile tyres?

Last edited by magarac; 09-09-2006 at 01:23 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-09-2006, 10:39 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Steering damper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in