suspension set up help needed - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-10-2005, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
talker of shite

Posting Frequency

suspension set up help needed

Hi folks, can anybody point me in the right direction as to suspension adjustments,I find that my 10 is a bit too hard on bumpy roads ,I weigh in at 161 pounds ,please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-10-2005, 06:57 AM

Posting Frequency

A great place to start is www.ohlins.com even though you don't have their stuff you can download their manuals that give very detailed and excellent setup information, step by step with pics. Oh yeah, and have a few extra donuts in the morning!
post #3 of 10 Old 07-10-2005, 10:58 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Initially from stock. I set my preload (sag) which mainly included backing off on the rear spring. I think I wound up with a little less than 1 inch of threads showing. Then I backed off the compression damping a little on both the front and rear. That helped. I weigh 170 lbs.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-10-2005, 11:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta xray
Initially from stock. I set my preload (sag) which mainly included backing off on the rear spring. I think I wound up with a little less than 1 inch of threads showing. Then I backed off the compression damping a little on both the front and rear. That helped. I weigh 170 lbs.

I did exactly the same with the compression damping. and I weigh a little more then 170 (190)

I also took a little preload out of the front fork.
I took a little out of the rear too but put it back because it was causing the bike to wallow a little on me through the corners felt good around town though.

I owuld guess with your weight you could take preload out of front and rear and soften the compession damping a click or two..
make small adjustments you'll be amazed at the difference you feel.

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2005, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
talker of shite

Posting Frequency

thanks for advice folks have done some adjusting & also let some pressure out of tyres [33f37r]will let you know how it is cos I've been pissed all weekend
post #6 of 10 Old 09-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno22
Hi folks, can anybody point me in the right direction as to suspension adjustments,I find that my 10 is a bit too hard on bumpy roads ,I weigh in at 161 pounds ,please help.
I was struggling to find a good set up for the normal rubbish UK roads and in the end I found that the best for me (160lb) was close to the PB settings.
Try these:
Front rebound: 2 clicks out from fully in
Front compression: 7 clicks out
Rear rebound: 2 turns out
Rear compression: 5 turns out
Rear preload I left the same and front preload I backed off 1 line from standard.

The bike now sits down a bit more when hard on the throttle out of corners and it's lost the front end chatter it suffered from before.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-24-2005, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
talker of shite

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B
I was struggling to find a good set up for the normal rubbish UK roads and in the end I found that the best for me (160lb) was close to the PB settings.
Try these:
Front rebound: 2 clicks out from fully in
Front compression: 7 clicks out
Rear rebound: 2 turns out
Rear compression: 5 turns out
Rear preload I left the same and front preload I backed off 1 line from standard.

The bike now sits down a bit more when hard on the throttle out of corners and it's lost the front end chatter it suffered from before.
Thanks Andy,I weigh about the same as you so I'll try those tomorrow,BTW

Has anyone seen my marbles ?
post #8 of 10 Old 09-24-2005, 03:05 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

heres a little help.

http://www.gpsuspension.com/

http://www.crstuning.com/

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Posting Frequency

You will definatly have to take out a bunch of rear preload out to get to 25-30mm sag. As far as the front goies you will probably end up somewhere between 6-7 lines showing (mine is at 6.5) on the front preload adjusters for a 34mm sag. In the rear I had 14mm of thread showing on the preload. FWIW I weigh 155 w/o gear, and had 28mm of sag with this setting. As far as comp/rebound goes, Front i think was 9 reb/ 8 comp. Rear 1.75 reb/ 3.75 comp. These setting yielded the best results for ME on the street using stock suspension components. YMMV. Hope this helps to at least get you started.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-24-2005, 03:31 PM

Posting Frequency

Hi danno try these settings front sag with rider 39mm rear sag with rider 26mm front comp 7 clicks from fully in rebound 2 clicks from fully in rear comp 4 turns from fully in rebound 1 1/4 turns from fully in. if youre finding the bike too hard backing off the preload wont sort the problem you may need softer springs and a revalve but try these setting first the damping settings were the ones used by performance bike and work well personally I felt the need to change the rear shock and link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in