Suspension question about forks - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-16-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Costas
Suspension question about forks

I did a search and didn't really find a question similar to mine.

Anyways, my fork seals are leaking, a shop quoted me around $170 to get them fixed. I was gonna go ahead and do that and then get the bike tuned to my weight afterwards since I just bought it a couple weeks ago and haven't done so.

After talking to a friend of mine, he mentioned that the stock springs in the forks are setup for a minimum of 160 lbs rider, and I'm 130 lbs, and roughly maybe 135-140 with full gear on. The question is.. while I'm getting the fork seals replaced, should I pitch in the extra cash for different springs that are closer matched to my weight? I was thinking maybe racetech products, but that would make the price jump from 170ish to 400ish to get it respringed/revalved.

I mainly daily the bike around to work/school, and on my 636 that i used to have (err.. still need to sell it), I did a track day almost every month, with my first one being around 6 months after having the bike. I think I did around 5 trackdays on it with the suspension never being touched, and then I finally had it tuned to my weight and the guy that did it said it was a huge difference bc it was set wayy to stiff, but I honestly didn't notice any difference on the track. I just noticed my front suspension would heavily load up under hard braking as opposed to before but that's about it.

My question is.. for a person that doesn't even notice major changes in suspension such as getting it tuned to my weight, would getting softer springs even be worth it? I started out riding in lvl 1 out of 3, then got bumped up to lvl 2, and then the last TD i did one of the instructors heavily recommended that I ride in lvl 3 instead, which resulted in me getting passed by quite a few people so I still got some work to do. Would getting the suspension tuned to my weight only be good enough for me? I'll be tracking it with street tires (corsa 3's) and just do TD's for fun with friends, no real racing, so I'm definitely staying away from any aftermarket forks or shocks for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It really depends on your feel. Yes suspension tuning will transform your bike and make your bike work for you not you work for your bike. Springs I would get but don't worry so much about the valving. Springs should run $125 and no additional labor. But once again its how you feel. If the bike works for you as is leave it alone until you get to a level where you can feel the difference. Just my opinion.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 08:34 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Go ahead and get the springs done and skip the valving like the guy said above. Stock springs are progressive and aftermarket springs are linear. (big diff) especially for your weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The stock springs are ridiculously stiff for your weight. I'm guessing you never set the sag - cause I don't think you'll be able to. If you're tearing into the forks anyway, spend the $100 to get the right springs.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll go ahead and switch out the springs while the shop has the forks in pieces so I don't have to shell out extra money to do it later. I plan on keeping this bike for a couple years, so might as well do it right the first time. Looking at the springs, I'm guessing I would need the 0.85kg/mm ones right?

edit:
http://www.racetech.com/evalving/Spr...pringType=Fork

says to use 0.90kb/mm ones for racing and .85 for street, so i'll just ask the guys at the shop and see what they say

Last edited by Costas; 03-17-2009 at 05:42 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 05:15 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

yup getting my springs and seals done, cost is probably under $300
post #7 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

what's the best site to get them from? i noticed kneedraggers.com has them for $98 + s/h
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in