suspension ?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-26-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

suspension ??

finally decided to do something about the suspension, went and got this generic spring nut tools to adjust the rear preload. doesn't even work right, scratched up everything. then i check the default settings which is set for 150lbs load and they were somewhat off. the preload was way off, about 15mm. now it rides a lot better. i can tell it made a lot of difference even at 150lbs setting and im around 130lbs.

so now my question is this.

front setting for 150lbs.
rebound - 9 clicks
comp - 7 clicks

if 9 clicks @ 150lbs then 130lbs should = 7.8 clicks. do i just take the difference which is 1.2 click and add to 9 which is 10.2? higher nubmer is softer. does that make sense? if so i can do the same for rear. correct?

if not how much turn should i try for 10-20lbs less than default settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

got to remember to add the weight of your gear too.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

You may want to do a little research as to what damping does, there are plenty of sites that give you some setup guidelines. Aslo the adjusters are not linear.

For rebound, your spring's compressed energy is what its suppose to be controlling as the fork extends. The so the less you weigh the less mass to counteract spring force (you may need more not less) but it also depends on your main spring and how much you are compressing it in the first place (if you have it set hard or soft). Damping is a speed control, its not like setting sag numbers, you have to ride it to see how far you need to go though some of the guides do give reference for a static starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-27-2005, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

well this is zx10r. the manual says it also depends on the type of roads and speed.

im wondering if there is any compile settings that works well for different loads for street riding. 150lbs, 135lbs, 175, etc.

the sportrider.com has the setting below in their chart and it's very different than the factory setting. it didn't say for what load so im not using.

--------------------------
ZX-10R ('04) 6/04, 10/04 2 lines showing 9 clicks out 7 clicks out 22mm thread showing 1.75 turns out 5.5 turns out note:set fork tube height to 3mm showing above triple clamp
---------------------------

i think it' s all physics. the spring rate is constant. if you know the starting point and the load, there should be a math relationship to get the end point. at least to give an idea of where to start at for a given load.

i dunno.

any math wiz? :D
post #5 of 15 Old 03-27-2005, 08:53 AM

Posting Frequency

The adjusters are normally on ramps whch is why they are not constant but if you like the feel leave it there.
I can offer my settings at http://www.motorcycle-nerd.com/ZedX10R.html
post #6 of 15 Old 03-27-2005, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

thanks BNninja. good write up. i felt the same way except the mod. there is plenty of power for me already. the brakes well, my first track day the inspection dude didn't want to pass because it didn't feel right to him until i told him it's all stock.

how heavy are you? you're tall so you must be a lot heavier than 150lbs.

anyone weight 130-135 lbs and like their settings?
post #7 of 15 Old 03-27-2005, 09:58 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzco
anyone weight 130-135 lbs and like their settings?
If you bought it from a dealer, I'm sure someone there would be able to help you set your suspension?

When I bought mine the dude wouldn't let me ride it until we set the suspension.

Smiley
post #8 of 15 Old 03-27-2005, 11:50 AM

Posting Frequency

i'm 5'5" so I'm short. I raised the rear to make this thing feel like a 600
I've talked with GP suspension a lot and we are trying to figure out what to do...lighter spring to bring less resistance to my valving or revalving. I talked to some racers who think my sag is too much at 30mm, if I tighten the sag back to 26mm my valving will to stiff! Swapping the spring rate might bring the valving back into a usable range and that is what they recommend. Stock the sag was okay for me, but the valving was so off. I like the stock feel though, great traction feel and bump abosorbtion I just want a little faster steering and more feedback from the front.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

moved
post #10 of 15 Old 03-27-2005, 03:39 PM

Posting Frequency

why you picking on the little guys Andy? Remember rich is short also...fugger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in