Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Surging beyond 9k

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  bluedevil 
#1 · (Edited)
I just threw a headlight in my race plastics and took the bike for a spin for the first time since I tucked the front at the track.

I rolled on full throttle in 2nd gear and it started surging. At first I thought the tire was spinning and grabbing intermittently but then it did it again in 3rd.

I slowed down to about idle with it in 4th and rolled on full throttle and it started surging [like I was momentarily closing the throttle] around 9k and continued surging on up to the red line.

The only crash damage (APPEARS) to be cosmetic, other than a little oil leak.
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Clutch Vehicle

Any ideas?

Also it seems to be idling fast (2k) and rough like it's missing or weak on 1 cylinder.

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
The only thing I've done since the crash is wash off the dirt with a pressure washer, fill the fuel tank(yesterday) and ride it 6 miles (today).

You would think everything electrical would be dry by now unless water got in where the oil is coming out. I don't know what is behind those 2 damaged engine cases.

I was thinking it was possible that it sucked some air while on it's side in which case I would expect it to take care of it's self just by riding it.

#10 ·
You would think everything electrical would be dry by now unless water got in where the oil is coming out. I don't know what is behind those 2 damaged engine cases.

I was thinking it was possible that it sucked some air while on it's side in which case I would expect it to take care of it's self just by riding it.
You still haven't replaced the damaged bolts on the starter gear cover?

I would fix the leaks and only then ride the bike. IMO leaking oil = pretty unsafe thing.

#4 ·
Tor it down and pulled a plug.

Auto part Screw

The bike has 17,000 miles. The plugs are probably the originals so I'll be replacing them.

The bike was running like a mofo 6 miles ago, I low sided and now it's cutting out over 9k so I'll be shocked if it's due to a wear item.

Any ideas?

#14 ·
Tor it down and pulled a plug.

View attachment 148908

The bike has 17,000 miles. The plugs are probably the originals so I'll be replacing them.

The bike was running like a mofo 6 miles ago, I low sided and now it's cutting out over 9k so I'll be shocked if it's due to a wear item.

Any ideas?
Those plugs are some of the worst I ever seen on this site if not the worst.......hate to say it but sounds/looks like something internal but hope not and more like a fuel pump going bad. I must have changed out my plugs at least 5 times since owning my bike(maybe 30k miles) and they are always clean as a whistle yours look down right nasty :badteeth: something is amiss. :badteeth: ......on that note maybe take the new plugs out and see how they look now with little time on them should not be getting oil.

bloo

#5 ·
I've replaced the plugs, serviced the air filter, changed the oil and when I started it there was a red light flashing on the right and (fi) flashing on the lcd display.

I didn't notice it before but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Find it hard to believe I wouldn't have noticed a flashing red light though. Especially considering the attention I was giving the instrumentation as soon as I noticed I was having problems.

#6 ·
After extensive internet searching and begging around for information in places like ZX10r.net I've found that no one has any idea what might be wrong with my bike so I'm going to give it away to the neighbor kid and get a Honda.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
That video was from when it was running fine.

Try this one.

I just found that I'm getting an error code (13).
Anyone know what that indicates?

#8 ·
Dude,
On page 41 of the Service Manual, it says:
○Be sure to connect the air temperature sensor connector.
When the ignition switch is turned ON with inlet air
temperature sensor connector disconnected, the ECU
detects the service code 13. Then the ECU starts the
fail-safe (see Self-diagnosis Outline in the Fuel System
(DFI) chapter). In this case, the engine vacuum synchronization
can not be inspected correctly.
Sounds like something got knocked loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.