A Study of Motorcycle Oils (Very Helpful!) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-09-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thumbs up A Study of Motorcycle Oils (Very Helpful!)

So, my buddy and I were trying to figure out which oil would work best for our Gen.4 ZX-10Rs in regards to clutch perfomance and the motor. I typically use Mobil 1. But recently, multiple vendors and companies that make clutches (which I have been calling around to because I need a new one lol) have recommended Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil. I've heard the ole' "oil is oil" debate. But, I've also heard that the little things in each brand of oil really make a difference.

So, what do I decide to do? I Google'd it, just like anyone of us would. lol

Here's what I stumbled upon... It's a fantastic analysis of all the different types of oils, multiple tests, and an overall statistical review of which oil they found to be the best overall.

Lucky for us, the oils they did the tests on are the same types of oils that we all use...10W-40! If you don't feel like reading through the whole write-up, feel free to scroll all the way down to the end where the final results are.

Needless to say, the vendors know what they're talking about ;)

I hope everyone can take something away from this in deciding which oil to buy for their bikes.

Enjoy!

http://www.combscustoms.com/pdfs/Amsoil_Study.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-09-2015, 04:44 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I stick with the Kawasaki 10W40 and OEM filters. Got a five-year warranty so want to keep it "worry-free". It's JASO MA and all that.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Cool write up. Lots of info.

To bad they didn't test Rotella, as that's what I've been running lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-09-2015, 04:57 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Im an Amsoil Dealer and it is good oil. The important thing to remember when buying motorcycle oil is that it is rated to meet "JASO MA" spec. This means it is wet-clutch compatible.

So you want to know what the "best" oil is? That depends what you want it to do best. For racing, in my opinion, the Maxima 4 Extra is best, due to the having the highest levels of zinc and phosphorus. For longevity, Amsoil has the highest TBN rating, which means you can run it for a long time between changes. Best oil for the price is Honda GN4. Whats best for you?

Oil is oil, until the additives are blended.

A 1st Gen Ten will eat the hearts of grown men.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-09-2015, 06:30 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Keep in mind, that study is almost a decade old. I've tried pretty much everything and the Mobil 1 4T is the best I've tried from a feel standpoint. No other oil had made such a significant difference in the shifting smoothness as much.

But hey, Scout runs amsoil so it must be good stuff.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #6 of 14 Old 01-09-2015, 07:09 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Im with skydork, ive tried most of the primo stuff and in terms of shifting feel Mobil One Racing feels great and lasts. Motul 300v feels even better but fades on me at 1500 miles or so.

Will be using Redline for the first time next round so im looking forward to it.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

That study was paid for by Amsoil. I'm not saying Amsoil is automatically "bad" because of that (it's not), just be aware that the various tests may have been cherry-picked to showcase their own product's strengths, and may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with how long your engine will last.

I've used Rotella for a long time, but recent reformulations to address diesel particulate filter compatibility have me skeptical, and I've switched to Motul 7100 (which did not exist when this test was done).

I am not surprised at the Lucas and Royal Purple results. Those are two brands that I won't use. Castrol is not one of my favorites, either.

FWIW my car was a mild oil-burner when I bought it (used car dealer had probably used the cheapest possible 5w30 that they use in everything) but has near zero oil consumption 80,000 km later when I use the specified Mobil 1 0w40 ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #8 of 14 Old 01-09-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for all the info. guys. I saw that this article was done a little while ago and also that it was done by Amsoil. I just figured the quality of the oil can only get better as these companies make enhancements through the years, and that the tests would should show some validity and not totally be biased towards Amsoil. lol I've always used the Mobil 1. I've just gotten feedback from multiple people that Amsoil is the way to go. So, why not?
post #9 of 14 Old 01-10-2015, 12:21 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

The best oil is the one you change regularly and it's Jaso MA certified.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-10-2015, 07:48 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring-Jay View Post
The best oil is the one you change regularly and it's Jaso MA certified.
Scout would not agree lol.
scout likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in