Stuck Sprocket Nut? A final desperation solution ... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Stuck Sprocket Nut? A final desperation solution ...

I've had tough times removing sprocket nuts in the past, but they've always budged eventually with an impact gun, sometimes after adding heat. Tonight, though, I rounded off the wimpy nut and had to come up with a new plan.

I found a big nut (1.25"), cut it in half, did some gutting and welded it onto the rounded Kawi nut. Then I was able to get it off easily with an impact gun.

I can't help but wonder why Kawasaki used such a stupidly shaped nut. I assume there was a reason, but I can't guess why it has so little meat to grab.

I am vowing to put it back together with a half height nylon locking nut, assuming I can find one. I think the thread is 20MM x 1.75. Can anyone confirm?

On edit: Threads are 1.5 pitch.

When I locate the better nuts, I'll post here where I found them. I am hoping that will solve the problem once & for all.
Attached Images

RussMcB
F1000 (SCCA Formula Car w/ '07 ZX-10R engine) - Sold in 2010 :-(
'99 ZRX1100
Marietta, GA USA

Last edited by RussMcB; 01-02-2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Corrected thread pitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think that is a bad idea to modify the factory sprocket nut
post #3 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

That was just to get the old stripped nut off. I don't plan to use it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

This is all I could find part number 92015-1963 http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...p/Transmission
post #5 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I think it was a three way nut if not mistaking. Don' t know why kawi used it. It was bitch for me too. If you are talking about the foward sprocket. I went with the largest socket to lock but first shoot some WD40 on it. I let it sit for more than an hour. Then hit it. She came off with elbow grease.. Good luck finding a replacement bolt...

On the Fast Orange One. Marvics Silverstone Gold Mag (lighter than Marshs), Full Akra Ti Hex, 14 Cals, PC3 with a bad ass map, Scotts, Pazzos, hell about 7k in aftermarket parts fast. So now you know I'm Floyd Money Mayweather fast!! Kanye taking the mic from Taylor Swift fast!! haha Just damn fast!!

Last edited by cardeea; 12-21-2008 at 09:24 PM.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Put a socket on the smaller part of the nut, there is a whole lot more for it to grab on to. I assume you dont use the speedo(because your looking to change the nut to a different one) so you dont have to worry about messing up the triggering edges.

Last edited by Vince10R; 12-21-2008 at 09:46 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 09:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you poping the transmission in first and having someone hold the rear break before you hit the nut with a impact gun?? Also is your impact gun strong enough? Just tossing some ideas.

Marchesini Magnesiums,Nassert beet,kawi cam,.45 headgasket,DJ PC/Ig.M/QS,velocity stacks,bmc race,gipro,sato rearsets,helibars,throttlemeisters,pazzo shorties,speedohealer,520 renthal sprockets,penske 8393 double clicker,traxxion dynamic springs,scotts stabilizer,lsl frame sliders,cox radiator guard,powerbronze hugger,puig DB,solo seat cover,Valentine1,dual low beam projectors,55w.hids, brembo superbike rotors,Goodridge superbike lines,nissin calipers and rizoma mirrors,mda123 battery.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince10R View Post
Put a socket on the smaller part of the nut, there is a whole lot more for it to grab on to. I assume you dont use the speedo(because your looing to change the nut to a different one) so you dont have to worry about messing up the triggering edges.

any deviation otherwise will mess with the speedo.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 09:52 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

1 gear does not work. Hurting the transmission! You need to have someone to lock the rear brake then with the chain and rear wheel still in riding position..

On the Fast Orange One. Marvics Silverstone Gold Mag (lighter than Marshs), Full Akra Ti Hex, 14 Cals, PC3 with a bad ass map, Scotts, Pazzos, hell about 7k in aftermarket parts fast. So now you know I'm Floyd Money Mayweather fast!! Kanye taking the mic from Taylor Swift fast!! haha Just damn fast!!
post #10 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince10R View Post
Put a socket on the smaller part of the nut, there is a whole lot more for it to grab on to. I assume you dont use the speedo(because your looking to change the nut to a different one) so you dont have to worry about messing up the triggering edges.
AHA! Yes, you are correct. I knew there must be a reason. I feel dumb. :-).

I have a big socket in my toolbox that fits the widest part of the nut, but not the smaller (27mm?).

While Googling, I've found this in the UK. Still looking for a source in the USA.

https://www.z-power.co.uk/merchantma...oducts_id=1646
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in