Stuck in gear - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Grease
Stuck in gear

OK...was going to a bud's house this morning. Downshifted to pass some cars, now it won't come out of 2nd. Don't know if it is a contributing factor, but I did miss a shift from first to second and got it in neutral about 20 minutes prior.

Bikes: '88 EX250 (sold), '86 Nighthawk S (sold), '03 ZX7R (R.I.P.s), '07 ZX10R (sold)

I don't like repeat offenders; I like dead offenders.
My idea of 'gun control' is putting as many bullets as I can into the same hole.

- Ted Nugent
Iím all for gun control, I just define it a little differently. If you can put 2 rounds into the same hole from 25 meters, thatís gun control!
- Jesse Ventura
God gave man a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time. - Stephen E. Ambrose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 AM

Posting Frequency

Your clutch is shot. But you should be able to shift without using the clutch
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Ex Postwhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to 9520G
It can also be that the shift linkage is loose, it happenned to me and I couldnt shift at all. Tightened it up and worked flawlessly again.

"Never trade the thrill of living, for the security of existence"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineiac1008 View Post
Your clutch is shot. But you should be able to shift without using the clutch
Uh...no. Clutch isn't shot as I can still get it to engage/disengage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9520G View Post
It can also be that the shift linkage is loose, it happenned to me and I couldnt shift at all. Tightened it up and worked flawlessly again.
Not sure what you tightened. I have a shop manual, so more detailed info would be awesome.

Also...forgot to say that this is a Gen 2 with 16K and no mods.

Bikes: '88 EX250 (sold), '86 Nighthawk S (sold), '03 ZX7R (R.I.P.s), '07 ZX10R (sold)

My idea of 'gun control' is putting as many bullets as I can into the same hole.

- Ted Nugent
Iím all for gun control, I just define it a little differently. If you can put 2 rounds into the same hole from 25 meters, thatís gun control!
- Jesse Ventura
God gave man a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time. - Stephen E. Ambrose
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Maybe a bent shifter fork, or a shift shaft spring may be broken. Pull the right engine cover (clutch) and see if you can get a visual in the shifter shaft behind the clutch basket.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa rocket View Post
Maybe a bent shifter fork, or a shift shaft spring may be broken. Pull the right engine cover (clutch) and see if you can get a visual in the shifter shaft behind the clutch basket.
Yuck. Sounds like warranty work fo' sho'!

- Ted Nugent
- Jesse Ventura
post #7 of 10 Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Well, I just got her back!

At the end of the shifter shaft, there is a "fork" that is spring loaded and catches the pins on an eccentric, when the shaft returns to center position, the fork slides against the next pin, is pushed down, then once it passes the pin, the spring returns the fork to its correct position for the next shift.

It turns out that this fork was stuck in its down position and wasn't grabbing the pin. he got it unstuck but ordered new parts since he could make it stick by hand. The tech said that if happen to catch it "just right" before it returned to the correct position and tried to shift, it MIGHT cause it. But he said it could also have been a piece of trash.

Warranty paid for it, but they didn't cover my oil since it is a maintenance item?! WTF?! I will be writing a letter to Kawi about that one. I can understand not covering my synthetic, but charge me the difference, not for the oil AND THE LABOR to put it in. FWIU, Suzuki does the same thing.

:headshake

But, I took advantage of the timing and change to GP shift...now that is going to take me a day or two to get used to.

- Ted Nugent
- Jesse Ventura
post #8 of 10 Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease View Post
Warranty paid for it, but they didn't cover my oil since it is a maintenance item?! WTF?! I will be writing a letter to Kawi about that one. I can understand not covering my synthetic, but charge me the difference, not for the oil AND THE LABOR to put it in. FWIU, Suzuki does the same thing.

:headshake

But, I took advantage of the timing and change to GP shift...now that is going to take me a day or two to get used to.
This is the reason I didn't want to take in my Water Pump failure because I had a feeling they would charge me for Oil(Manual says to drain but not needed) and Coolant which I already have. I bought my Water Pump from a member on this site for only $40shipped....the oil and coolant alone from a dealer would be more than that.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I can see if it may not be needed to do something. But when you pull the shifter rod out, you have to drop the exhaust so that you can drop the pan. You have to drop the pan so that you can access the stupid snap ring that hold the thing in place.

Now, that tells me that it is necessary to drain the oil...no fault of mine.

I also found that if something is wrong with the forks, they will cover the fork oil. Now with the reasoning that they don't cover engine oil because it's a maintenance item doesn't wash when replacing my fork oil is also a maintenance item.

- Ted Nugent
- Jesse Ventura
post #10 of 10 Old 11-07-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Just called the Kawasaki Consumer Service Department about my Good Times Protection Plan. Told them what I understood about what what going on and that I remembered my shop telling me that the warranty code didn't originally have enough time to drop the oil pan so the dealer had to call the GTPP help line to get "permission" to add additional labor to the ticket.

They guy's response was that the codes already have enough labor on them and that wasn't necessary. He went so far as to say that since they are the ones that define what gets done, they have the codes correctly noted with labor. He proceeds to get my VIN and look up the warranty claim. Lo and behold, he finds where they called in and had to add time. Of course I had to poke fun at the fact that they were supposed to have it correct. But, he said this was some sort of oddity. No matter.

When it was all said and done, Customer Service said that when they added time to the code or whatever so that they could file the warranty claim, it would have included my oil. He suggested having the shop contact call him and get it straightened out and the it probably wasn't clarified correctly on the phone originally with GTPP and the dealer.

So...$40 coming my way soon.

I feel much better.

- Ted Nugent
- Jesse Ventura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in