Stripped Phillips Head...NEED HELP!!!!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Stripped Phillips Head...NEED HELP!!!!!!

Ok guys, I'm trying to install these CA lights. I'm trying to remove the seat latch assembly and one of the phillips head screws WILL NOT COME OUT. I tried to use my Dewalt gun after unsuccessful attempts with a regular screwdriver and it stripped the freakin' screw. Now I've made the screw head practically round and I don't know how to get it out. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2005, 07:09 PM

Posting Frequency

if u have a little cut off wheel, you can cut a straight notch into the head, and then use a flathead screwdriver to remove it, if not you can buy a screw extracter, i have one from sears i think, and it works all the time

good luck
post #3 of 7 Old 12-27-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE10R
if u have a little cut off wheel, you can cut a straight notch into the head, and then use a flathead screwdriver to remove it, if not you can buy a screw extracter, i have one from sears i think, and it works all the time

good luck
Thanks, I'm headed to Home Depot right now to pick up one of those extracters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-27-2005, 07:43 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE10R

good luck
Those extracters work great!!

Kenny Poppell
AMA Dragbike SuperSport #1000
2007 AMA Dragbike 1000SS National Champion
2007 1000SS 1/8th ET Record Holder 5.967
Best 1/[email protected] Best 1/[email protected] Stock Wheelbase
Special Thanks:

Performance Psycle
Richies Tires
http://www.XXXRacingFuel.com
http://www.SuperbikeSpecialties.com
http://www.Tsukigi.com
http://www.CycleConceptsRacing.com
http://www.myspace.com/ruthlessracing1
post #5 of 7 Old 12-27-2005, 08:44 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarPlyr
yeah, the extractors work good sometimes, if you can get them to bite.....if not, you can drill a small hole in the head of the stripped screw to give the extractor something to grip...good luck

John 8:24:
Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
post #6 of 7 Old 12-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Another choice, if you know the thread size (measure the one you got out), is to carefully drill into the screw head using a drill bit that is the same size as the threads. The stripped screw head will act as a guide to center the drill bit, and beyond that, you will just have to be careful to drill absolutely straight down. Frequently take the drill out of the hole to check if you have made it through the head. It helps to make a little notch and knock it in a direction trying to turn the screw loose using a punch.

I've had to do that a couple of times. It's always a bit scary. Worst one was drilling out a stripped-out bolt that was holding the front pulley onto a car engine; had to be removed in order to replace the timing belt ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

By the way, I prefer drilling the head off instead of using extractors. The reason is that if you ever break one of those extractors off inside the screw, now you are *really* in trouble. You can't drill out the extractor, it's harder than any tool in the known universe - and they are very brittle.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in