street idiots and their "awesome brakes" - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to caboose
street idiots and their "awesome brakes"

fugg, i get irritated when riders who have no need for good brakes talk about good brakes.

1st and 2nd gen 10R brakes are more than adequate for street riding. IMO anyone who thinks they really benefit from braided lines and the Nissin caliper upgrade is a tool. The problem is dirty brake fluid, the stuff Kawi uses in their assembly plant is garbage and turns to shite after just a few thousand street kms. Then most ppl think its the whole brake system that's garbage.

The only reason these ppl think that the Nissin's are such a great upgrade is that they happen to put new fluid in it at the same time. I would love to have these guys do a blind test with stock 10R brakes with dirty ass fluid, stock 10R brakes with fresh fluid and and Nissin calipers with new fluid.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of them would not be able to tell the difference between the stock brakes and the Nissins with clean fluid.

All they end up doing is driving up the price of the Nissins for the few among us who would actually benefit from a caliper upgrade.

BAH!!

Discuss.....

2010 10R Superbike

Last edited by Big Daddy; 11-02-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 12:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
fugg, i get irritated when riders who have no need for good brakes talk about good brakes.

1st and 2nd gen 10R brakes are more than adequate for street riding. IMO anyone who thinks they really benefit from braided lines and the Nissin caliper upgrade is a tool. The problem is dirty brake fluid, the stuff Kawi uses in their assembly plant is garbage and turns to shite after just a few thousand street kms. Then most ppl think its the whole brake system that's garbage.

The only reason these ppl think that the Nissin's are such a great upgrade is that they happen to put new fluid in it at the same time. I would love to have these guys do a blind test with stock 10R brakes with dirty ass fluid, stock 10R brakes with fresh fluid and and Nissin calipers with new fluid.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of them would not be able to tell the difference between the stock brakes and the Nissins with clean fluid.

All they end up doing is driving up the price of the Nissins for the few among us who would actually benefit from a caliper upgrade.

BAH!!

Discuss.....

The stock Tokico's on my 07 felt the same since the first day I bought the bike, so maybe all that is wrong is the fluid, but the Nissins ARE a better caliper. I can agree with you on the shitty brake fluid as when I put the Nissins on and drained the old ones, the right side caliper was NASTY, while the left side was just fine. I couldn't believe the black crap that came out.

At its core, the Ninja ZX-10R is a motorcycle built for the accomplished rider who can fully appreciate its capabilities--whether put to the test at a racetrack, or merely the focus of bench-racing conversation. It is, by all standards, the embodiment of the ultimate superbike.

Member of The Elite - Growler Group

Last edited by Big Daddy; 11-02-2008 at 04:25 AM.
post #3 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

the brake fluid does play a major role, but different calipers act in different ways, and so the performance of these brake "upgrades" are beneficial when talking maximum potential. So i wouldnt say people who opt for different lines and calipers are tools, they just want something that gives them piece of mind and absolute confidence.

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you ONLY referring to 04-05?
Personal experience with my 07 is that the brakes felt pretty much the same (soft) from the day I bought it with 12 miles on it, to about 5k when I went to braided brake lines and put in synthetic fluid. Now the brakes arent much better, they just dont fade after some hard riding or track days. I have to disagree with you on this, When I changed fluid COMPLETELY, and added braided lines, AND bled the hell out of them more than a couple times including all the "tricks" for braiding (i.e. taking the calipers off and pushing the pistons back in during bleeding, tying the lever closed overnight and re-bleeding in the morning, getting them good and hot, then re- bleeding AGAIN, etc), They still are not up to par with bikes Ive owned in the past that I never did anything to brake system.
I have owned three Yamahas prior to this bike and have never had any issues with brakes. In fact, when switching to braided brakes on one of those bikes, the improvement was noticable with absolutely zero brake fade with noother mods to the system.
After riding bikes with great brakes, it IS an issue with my Kawi. Its a matter of confidence in your system.

Last edited by Ruiner; 11-01-2008 at 12:53 PM.
post #5 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 12:55 PM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
nuggah please:

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*
post #6 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 01:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Man i cant believe your bringing this old topic up! If the nissans are too expensive for you than put some other tokicos on there that will only cost you 50$.

Marchesini Magnesiums,Nassert beet,kawi cam,.45 headgasket,DJ PC/Ig.M/QS,velocity stacks,bmc race,gipro,sato rearsets,helibars,throttlemeisters,pazzo shorties,speedohealer,520 renthal sprockets,penske 8393 double clicker,traxxion dynamic springs,scotts stabilizer,lsl frame sliders,cox radiator guard,powerbronze hugger,puig DB,solo seat cover,Valentine1,dual low beam projectors,55w.hids, brembo superbike rotors,Goodridge superbike lines,nissin calipers and rizoma mirrors,mda123 battery.
post #7 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 01:07 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

What is the point of your post? Is it really any of your buisness what other guys want to do with their bike? So what if someone wants to upgrade their bike just for the hell of it, thats part of the fun of ownership. After all bike ownership is a hobby, some pepole get into hobbies more than others, so what if I want to spec WSBK parts on my streetbike just to say I have it. Do you think the guys driving around in the zr-1 corvettes and such really can use all of thier cars performance.

Seriously, caboose your post and attitude are a little uncalled for, so what if someone wants to overdo it with the performance parts, thats their perogitive.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #8 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 01:11 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Shit, the only thing stopping me from riding a MOTO GP bike on the street is money and access to the parts.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #9 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 01:13 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Awesome brakes only work if you have awesome tires.
post #10 of 173 Old 11-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

will they take full advantage of the better brakes? maybe not. but you cant tell me that you wouldnt be able to see a difference riding street between the stock brakes on the 04/07 zx10 and upgrading to the nissins or some a similar setup. as far as I see it, stoping better is stoping better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in