stock master cylinder ? (front brake) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-14-2005, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

stock master cylinder ? (front brake)

Ok Guys
Got a quick question in regard to the stock master cylinder on the front brake of my 05 zx-10r.
I have fitted brake lines..bleed them..my brakes feel strong..but whats bugging me is the slack in the lever travel,before it seems to move the piston in!....1/system has been bleed feels nice and firm..2/I've cracked the banjo by the master cylinder to bleed any air that may have gotten trapped there and bleed the whole system twice.....it seems to be a problem with the piston moving to much....just wondering if anyone has gotten the stock system to work good for themselves...I know lots of people just junk the stock master cylinder and replace it with something else..Just want to see if I can try and make the stock one work for me....I'm quite happy with my brakes..just the travel (slack?) the stocker has.....Thanks Steve........

I also had a problem like this once with a 01 gxsr600 I owned and ended up placeing a thick washer on the end of the piston!...it worked....and the zx10r master cylinder looks almost the same as the suzuki...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-14-2005, 02:05 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Many have done exactly what you have, i.e. ss-lines, quality fluid, aftermarket pads and still the lever travel is no better, so baring replacement of the OEM MC i'd say thats it. If your inclined to try the washer/spacer coonass Mod then be my guest and let us know the results.

moved to tech

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
Many have done exactly what you have, i.e. ss-lines, quality fluid, aftermarket pads and still the lever travel is no better, so baring replacement of the OEM MC i'd say thats it. If your inclined to try the washer/spacer coonass Mod then be my guest and let us know the results.

moved to tech

BD
As BD said and from my own experience with it it really does not get any better with line,pad, and fluid upgrades. Personally I have a Brembo 19x18 mc that is amazing and the answer to all my braking problems and brake fade. I believe some here have gone with the 05 zx-6r's mc with pretty good results so do a search and you should find some good info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-14-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Spacers!!!

Thanks for quick reply big D.....yep I guess I'm got some coonass in me..cause I'm forever using washers for stuff...shimming carb needles...rear shocks and such... hell I even made pre-load fork spacers for my 1st race bike (honda hawk 650) out of plastic plumbers pipe...in fact once back in the old uk it was cheaper to use to 2 pence coins to pre-poad the fork springs on my yamaha RD350...guess I'm giving my age away little here.....but I will let you know how it work,s...

Ok so my next question is which M/Cs fit the zx10r...I was looking @ the new 04/05 R1 and the m/c looks good to me ...better start trolling ebay huh..

So basically no one seems to be able to get the stock M/C to work ??...steve...(the coonass british guy)
post #5 of 8 Old 12-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
post #6 of 8 Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

M/Cs

Ok...Looks to me like any radial M/Cs from the a newer 636 or yamaha R1 or R6 (04/05) and all gsxr's (04/05) should me able too made to work with the zx10r.....any one used a M/C from anything other than a 636?...if not I will let you guy's know in a few weeks how I get along...Steve...
post #7 of 8 Old 12-16-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

ok "told you so!"

ok the washer..."cheap bodge" did not work...even with the thinest washer I had..the piston was some how not fully returning and pressure would build up in the system and would eventually cause the brakes to drag....back to the drawing board on that one then.
I think I will try a radial master cylinder from another 05 bike....like the look of the suzuki and the yamaha..seems to be a whole lot cheaper then going the 636 route....although the unit will be black not that nice golden green color..(i can live with that tho)..will let you guys know how I get on once I purchase one off ebay and get it installed.....so far the only problems I may have to twist round the throttle cables a little and one end of my brake line will have too have the fitting changed...but I live next door to earls (brake line shop) so should not be a problem...steve

Last edited by speedkelly; 12-16-2005 at 06:00 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-16-2005, 05:44 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

aight dammit quit postin and git er dun!!

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in