Stock Exhaust vs Aftermarket - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Mojo
Stock Exhaust vs Aftermarket

Hey Crew...

Alright, I have a burning question that may or may not make sense. It's obvious that the jiffy's nowadays have tons of engineering and technology packed into them, right? I mean, the push for more ponies, steering dampers, perfect buns, etc...it's all there. So I have one question - why is it, that no matter what sweetass, new shiny bike we buy out there, the aftermarket exhaust systems ALWAYS offer more HP than stock? Why don't the manufacturers just make kickass pipes/cans to start with?

I am an owner of a black '06 and was investigating the aftermarket cans/systems out there by Akropovic, Arrow, etc. Just makes me wonder why high end jiffy's don't come with already mounted high end pipes.

Mojo...always chillin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I think that OEM pipes are actually, given the noise and emissions standards they must achieve, pretty incredible. Think about it - you need to shell out a cool grand for a system that completely disregards noise and emissions and nets five or ten more hp after buying a PCIII and getting a custom map done for it

One specific example is my old ZX9R. When I was looking for pipes and jets for it, no less a tuner than Ivan said that you either bought a full Akro system, or slapped a slip on on the stock header. The Akro was the only full system that was better than Kawi's header with a less restrictive can.

Older bikes had comparatively huge hp gains from exhaust swaps - nowadays it's mostly for looks and noise.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 05:38 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by limenine View Post
I think that OEM pipes are actually, given the noise and emissions standards they must achieve, pretty incredible. Think about it - you need to shell out a cool grand for a system that completely disregards noise and emissions and nets five or ten more hp after buying a PCIII and getting a custom map done for it

One specific example is my old ZX9R. When I was looking for pipes and jets for it, no less a tuner than Ivan said that you either bought a full Akro system, or slapped a slip on on the stock header. The Akro was the only full system that was better than Kawi's header with a less restrictive can.

Older bikes had comparatively huge hp gains from exhaust swaps - nowadays it's mostly for looks and noise.

{nowadays it's mostly for looks and noise.}

Akra for looks (and power)

Boz Moira for noise (and lots of it!)

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Emissions standards are going from strict to harsh...you would think they'd go easier on bikes since they don't guzzle as much gas.

Anyway, I think OEM does a great job considering the strict guidelines they have to meet.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

noise....and emissions. plain and simple. Sorry, and go buy you an exhaust.

These bikes are as close to perfect from the factory within the limits.

Last edited by morrisjl2; 05-29-2007 at 08:41 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
WTF is a "JIFFY" ? I remember UJMs, never heard of a "Jiffy"

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/josh10r/IMG_0144-1-1-1.jpg
Sent from your mom's IPhone using dirty fingers
post #7 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 08:49 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to K7ZX10RGuy
[QUOTE=limenine;663782]:
QUOTE]

Not positive, but i had a ZX9R also and i remember reading somewhere that the same person designed the stock header (for the ZX9R) and the Akra stuff. I took Ivans advice and slapped on a Muzzy that I won off Ebay for $200.....Someone correct me if I am wrong about the designer.....

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisjl2 View Post
noise....and emissions. plain and simple. Sorry, and go buy you an exhaust.

These bikes are as close to perfect from the factory within the limits.
If you read, somewhere on the bike it says the motorcycle meets the 80db noise standerds. or some shit like that.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 AM

Posting Frequency

Basically everyone here has hit the nail on the head. Noise is the biggest issue with manufacturers and can design. The emissions end of it is where the power really comes from though.

Anyways, if you are looking for an aftermarket exhaust, the Akra's are very nice....but very expensive. The option I am going to take (at least I am 90% sure) is Leo Vince. Akra and Leo are the only two pipe manufactures that do everything in house, from pipe bending to welding to making the cans. I would say the quality is equal, though the price is not...which is a good thing! The other exhaust that I got to sample lately was the KR Tuned. It was on a GSXR 600, but it sounded very deep and throaty. The customer also said that drivability was still excellent even without a fueling change! The only problem is that they can be just as expensive as the Akra's...and there isn't a whole lot of info out there on them yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in