Stock exhaust removal question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to dbltakeZX10 Send a message via Yahoo to dbltakeZX10
Stock exhaust removal question

I am having trouble removing my stock exhaust. I couldnt get the swing arm heatshield off the bike cuz the screws got stripped. Is that any other way to get the pipe out. Its the bottom weird looking pipe. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Posting Frequency

Are you talking about the cat and headers, becuase it looks to me that you have the other pipe out that might be alittle difficult without takin that heat sheild off.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Retired post whore

Posting Frequency

I think a couple of 06-07 owners on the forum had this same problem with the 3 screws on the heatshield strippin out.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmond Burke (1729-1797)

Last edited by Alien10; 08-02-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-02-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Yep its the black shield with 3 bolts. That pic is just a pic of what I'm talkin bout. What did u guys do when this happens??
post #5 of 16 Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Posting Frequency

i personally didnt have that probelm. So just so i know whats goin on and not getting things mixed up. You have that one pipe stuck behind that heat sheild and you cant get the pipe out. Correct?
post #6 of 16 Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

exhaust

correct. that y shape pipe is stuck between the bike where the swing are is. there is a black shield that comes out with 3 bolts but the screws are really soft, and strip easy. ill see if i can find a pic of it. you can see one screw in the pic. the one u can see is the one that is by the swing arm

post #7 of 16 Old 08-02-2007, 05:52 PM

Posting Frequency

yea, thats a fun job, lol. the only thing i can say to do because i dont have a 10 infront of me anymore is to gently lay the bike down in the grass and loosen the pipe from the cat and see about loosing the cat from the header. I wouldnt recommed removing the header unless your replaceing the header(such as putting a new full system on. Also from the looks of it you will be trying to pull it up from the top(when the bike is standing, but leave in layin on the ground). Dont think it will come out from the bottem. When i took mine off it twisted right out from the hole(when you remove that black heat sheild and rearset. Try that and let me know. i'll go see if i cant talk to someone for you.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

GOOD LUCK that things a bitch to get off the screws have Yellow lock tite on them I got one out stripped the other 2 then i broke one off in the swingarm with an ez-out so after that i still have one screw to go so me and the boys broke the plate off and removed the last screw w/visgrips.Luckily for me my man had another plate and screws for me for $20. Like I said Good Luck a 1 hour job was 4 because of that dam plate.

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..
post #9 of 16 Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Use a centre punch and give a sharp tap in the centre of the screw to break the loctite. If the allen part is too chewed up to get a grip, then get a cold chisel, sharp, and strike it at 90 degrees to the screw, to get a depression to work with. Then, lean the chisel to about 45 degrees and tap the screw anti-clockwise using the top or bottom of initial cut to unscrew it, I found after about half a turn I was able to get a flat screwdriver into the cut and unscrew it manually. I tend to tap into meat of the swingarm, so as not to break off, or deform the metal tab.

Hope that makes sense, it's easier than it sounds. I had the same problem on my 2007 10 and this solved it.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-03-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

exhasut

Is it safe to lay the bike down with all the fluids in it? Do i need to drain anything? How long can you lay it down for? I think it will come out of the top if you give it more room by seperating the subframe and rear tire almost like your raising the bike. Thanks for all the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in