Stock chain snapped at 18k miles - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Stock chain snapped at 18k miles

So I was cruising around yesterday and ripped into the throttle in first gear around 40 mph when I heard the snap and no more go. I coasted into the closest parking lot and saw the chain dragging. I had a buddy bring my truck and finally got it home around 930pm, backed into the garage, grabbed the sockets and took the cover off. It ended up snapping and getting pulled back into the cover and it ended up on the inside of the sprocket halfway around. Its stuffed in there pretty damn tight and I didn't feel like getting too deep into it that late but did get on it and found that it wouldn't click into first. Second is good but got nothing when pushing down past neutral.

I've never dealt with this problem and couldn't find any info specific to my problem on other threads. Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

You should have no problem with a well maintained 525 (I think that's the stock 10r chain size), I had well over 15k on a 520 ERV3 chain installed on an R1.

Did you clean and lube it regularly? Was the rear wheel aligned properly? Are your sprockets worn at all or missing any teeth?

-Ryan
06 ZX10r
post #3 of 16 Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I bought the bike 2 months ago so as far as maintenance goes, it was a visual inspection when I bought it because he didn't have any records. I lubed the chain when I got it and it didn't have any excess play, all teeth looked great on the rear and from what I got to see last night, even after this mess the front looked good too. I guess this will be my validation for changing the gearing a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

You're really lucky (if that can be said) that this chain didn't fling up and wreck some serious shit on the bike, or your leg.

I had a buddy that got his leg ripped pretty good from a chain break at speed (He doesn't wear shorts anymore when riding... fool).

If it was the stock chain, I find that most reputable aftermarket (DID, RK, etc.) chains have much higher tensile strength than the stock units. As for maintenance, this chain may have appeared maintained, but I may have been stretched and just re-adjusted to it's max tolerable limit.

Either way, gearing change sounds like a good plan now!

Jeff
post #5 of 16 Old 07-19-2010, 03:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Know a guy that facked his Busa tranny when that happened. Lucky it never got your leg either! I've broke a couple & had to push, now i change them every 20k kms

If its got tits or tires it'll give u problems
post #6 of 16 Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonick8503 View Post
So I was cruising around yesterday and ripped into the throttle in first gear around 40 mph when I heard the snap and no more go. I coasted into the closest parking lot and saw the chain dragging. I had a buddy bring my truck and finally got it home around 930pm, backed into the garage, grabbed the sockets and took the cover off. It ended up snapping and getting pulled back into the cover and it ended up on the inside of the sprocket halfway around. Its stuffed in there pretty damn tight and I didn't feel like getting too deep into it that late but did get on it and found that it wouldn't click into first. Second is good but got nothing when pushing down past neutral.

I've never dealt with this problem and couldn't find any info specific to my problem on other threads. Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing?
There is nothing wrong with your Tranny. There is to much tension on the front sprocket. Losen up the chain and then try and shift the gears (all gears). Remember there is a tighten spec on your chain as well.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

C

On the Fast Orange One. Marvics Silverstone Gold Mag (lighter than Marshs), Full Akra Ti Hex, 14 Cals, PC3 with a bad ass map, Scotts, Pazzos, hell about 7k in aftermarket parts fast. So now you know I'm Floyd Money Mayweather fast!! Kanye taking the mic from Taylor Swift fast!! haha Just damn fast!!
post #7 of 16 Old 07-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

A couple years ago, I had borrowed my friends VFR750 interceptor. I was accelerating pretty hard and at about 85 mph I hear a loud bang, the engine now revs like it's in neutral, and I smell oil. I shut it off, pull over and there is a fist size hole in the motor in front of the front sprocket, the chain is nowhere to be found except for the 3-4 pieces that are in the new hole. I get the bike back to my buddy's house. I tell him what happened and he said he had just cut the chain earlier that day grinding off the mushroomed rivets. He didn't have a master link so he put the chain back together and welded the side plate of the chain to the rivets with his wire feed welder. He thought that would be alright. It wasn't.

I'd say you were very lucky the same thing didn't happen to you. I'm sure a zx10 can swing a chain much faster than a VFR750.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Don't we need to clarify......I never in my life heard of a "Chain Snap" on a rivet chain....I believe the title should be it jumped sprocket...I may be wrong but this doesn't make sense...if you use a chain with a master link clip-on then it makes sense....OP give more details...did it BREAK Completely or come off the Sprocket.

bloo
post #9 of 16 Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I have seen chains snap and bust the cases so count your self lucky.

I have seen chains that got wraped up lock up the sprocket and broken trasmission parts. it is never a good thing to throw a chain.

High Velocity Cycles 2005 Ti ZX10R
Greeensboro NC
post #10 of 16 Old 07-24-2010, 10:01 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The master link let go on my old FJ11 and when the chain came around it grabbed the starter and ripped it out leaving a good sized hole in the engine. The bike had well over 100k on it so needless to say, that was it for the old FJ. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that master link was put in backwards.:headshake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in