Starter motor problems - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Angry Starter motor problems

Ok so i have 07 zx10r. When i turn the bike on the starter motor stays running, (doesnt shut off), replaced the starter relay solenoid, not it... Took apart the starter motor everything looks fine... What in the world could it be??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Replace your relay box. The starter circuit is a 3 stage relay with the first stage easy to damage. A stator wire is connected to the relay box to energize the headlight relay when you let off on the starter button. Did you just replace your stator with a Rick's stator? I asked because that maybe the cause of the relay box failure. Be wary of the used relay boxes on Ebay to only buy from salvage yards not private parties cause those are probably blown. We went thru this a year ago with my son's 07 gen2. HTH
post #3 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 01:52 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

the push button is sticky

2004 ZX10R-few mods here and there......
and even made more Evil by Woolich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 07:06 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

be aware that when starter staying engaged running it is in serious overdrive, not hard to sling it apart. seen this before. what dale c said.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Relay box would be my first thought as well.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #6 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Unlikely but just throwing it out there is the fact that the starter clutch plate might be stuck engaged.

“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
post #7 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus-CO View Post
Unlikely but just throwing it out there is the fact that the starter clutch plate might be stuck engaged.
That's actually not unlikely at all. The starter clutch could very likely be the problem. The difference with that is it's more of a mechanical link between the motor and the starter as opposed to electrical. I inferred from the first post that it was an electrical issue. But it's possible that the starter clutch is the problem. Certainly something to be looked at in the troubleshooting process.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 14 Old 10-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus-CO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
That's actually not unlikely at all. The starter clutch could very likely be the problem. The difference with that is it's more of a mechanical link between the motor and the starter as opposed to electrical. I inferred from the first post that it was an electrical issue. But it's possible that the starter clutch is the problem. Certainly something to be looked at in the troubleshooting process.
How do you un-stick it?
post #9 of 14 Old 10-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelhung View Post
How do you un-stick it?
Try cleaning but probably replacement is only answer. We bought a used one to try first before the relay box. Nope wasn't the problem. New relay box stopped the starter running continuously. We replaced stator, regulator (3 diff. ones), starter motor (killed itself), starter clutch and relay box. Damn expensive sequence of failures. I think the Rick's regulator blew the relay box and then starter motor died from too much on time.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleC View Post
Try cleaning but probably replacement is only answer. We bought a used one to try first before the relay box. Nope wasn't the problem. New relay box stopped the starter running continuously. We replaced stator, regulator (3 diff. ones), starter motor (killed itself), starter clutch and relay box. Damn expensive sequence of failures. I think the Rick's regulator blew the relay box and then starter motor died from too much on time.
Are you talking about the starter motor or starter clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in