Stainless Steel Fuel Lines?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Stainless Steel Fuel Lines??

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone on here knows if anyone's every changed their fuel lines or any other lines (other than brake lines) to stainless steel braided?

I wonder if the race teams do it?

Reasons why I was thinking about doing it:

1. My main fuel line (right under the tank) connected to the fuel pump and routes to the throttle bodies got kinked. So fuel is not efficiently flowing through this line and the bike hiccups like its starving for fuel. I can't imagine how it got kinked so bad, the inside of this line is some sort of hard plastic.

2. The OEM line (P/N#51044-0118) if ever gets messed up again or kinked or damaged... this part is backordered EVERYWHERE. I've checked all online oem parts dealers, all motorcycle dealers around me, and nobody can get it. You have to order it overseas and takes approximately 2-3 weeks to get it, unless you find one used on ebay in which i have not been successful in for the past 2-3 weeks (should've ordered it over seas by now lol). Not sure if this is accuratly true, but I've even called Kawasaki Corporate here in the states and they say Kawasaki generally don't stock oem parts with dealers that they don't think is in high demand (that sucks but it's understandable supply/demand).

3. IF you do SS, you won't have to worry about it getting kinked ever again

Problems i've encountered while trying to find someone to make a Stainless Steel braided fuel line:

1. Checked a couple places around me who do custom SS braided lines for old school cars, diesel trucks, and even big rigs. They all say that they can't because of that special fitting (the connectors are square with the red clips).

I think that's kind of BS, i'm sure someone can make it... just have to find them.

Any ideas???

Last edited by Omgnqqb; 08-28-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
post #3 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 03:37 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
The Gen 3 and Gen 4 are the same then?

The part # he posted is for Gen 4, but the ebay add looks like Gen 3 is why I was asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 04:07 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

SS lines look cool, but they are like little bandsaws if you don't completely prevent them from moving or coming in contact with other lines/wires/metal. I've done several set-ups on with socketless hose and fittings, and it works really well (also called Push-Loc and Twist-tite). It's cheaper, easier to use, and lasts just as long.

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113618

Scroll down on that thread and there are some picture examples. :) If you were just dead-set on using braided steel you could do exactly the same thing with those hard-line adapters and reusable socket hose AN fittings.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 08-28-2014 at 04:21 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 04:43 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If the SS fuel lines are coated with a plastic sleeve, like most brake lines are, I couldn't see it doing much damage.
On a different route, there is Tygon fuel tubing (the translucent yellow stuff) that is better than rubber. Won't kink as easy, plus it just looks awesome. About $8 a foot though I believe.

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 05:28 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I've never seen coated SS lines larger than -3AN, but that would be cool if they made a -6 or -8 coated for sure! Probably freakin' expensive, though.

Also there is the new(er) style nylon braided socket AN hose. Constructed exactly the same as the SS hose, but they use a tough black nylon instead of steel. It looks tits, and it doesn't saw through stuff. :)

Also, Aeroquip makes a socketless type hose that is BAD ASS (also a polymer/non-steel hose). Very tough, high pressure, abrasion resistant stuff here.

post #7 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 05:35 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

This is the adapter that will work with the stock fuel rails... commonly used on GM LT1/LS1 fuel rails.

post #8 of 17 Old 08-30-2014, 09:05 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Stainless Steel Fuel Lines??

Anyone here know the inner diameter of the oem rubber fuel lines on the 4th gen??
Would think they'd be the same on all the gens, but don't want to make an assumption.

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtradamus View Post
The Gen 3 and Gen 4 are the same then?

The part # he posted is for Gen 4, but the ebay add looks like Gen 3 is why I was asking.
They are different my mistake.

Bear Jew
post #10 of 17 Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Found this searchin the web,
http://www.jpcycles.com/2011-kawasak...10r/fuel-lines
SS braided and coated

What is best in life?..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in