Sprocket question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to dr_wookiee Send a message via MSN to dr_wookiee
Sprocket question

I am very interested in changing my sprocket setup. I've searched the forums and found some useful information.

I live in CO at about 6200 ft above the sea so it kills my bike's ability to breathe! I weight 200+ and want a more torquey bike off the line and be able to wheelie it more easily.

I only have 1300 miles on it so far (less than a month old) so I doubt there's much wear on either sprocket or chain. But when I do something, I do it right. So should I go with new front and rear sprockets and new chain? Also, what brands are good. I see a lot of people are using vortech sprockets. Is the ERV3 chain worth the money?

What's better: aluminum or steel sprockets?

What's the difference between 520 and 525 sprockets?

I was thinking about doing a 16t front and 42t rear. Any suggestions? I've never done anything like this so I am a little intimidated.

How difficult is it to put new front/rear sprockets and chain on. Is it hard to make sure the back wheel is aligned once you put it back on? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 03:26 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_wookiee
I am very interested in changing my sprocket setup. I've searched the forums and found some useful information.

I live in CO at about 6200 ft above the sea so it kills my bike's ability to breathe! I weight 200+ and want a more torquey bike off the line and be able to wheelie it more easily.

I only have 1300 miles on it so far (less than a month old) so I doubt there's much wear on either sprocket or chain. But when I do something, I do it right. So should I go with new front and rear sprockets and new chain? Also, what brands are good. I see a lot of people are using vortech sprockets. Is the ERV3 chain worth the money?

What's better: aluminum or steel sprockets?

What's the difference between 520 and 525 sprockets?

I was thinking about doing a 16t front and 42t rear. Any suggestions? I've never done anything like this so I am a little intimidated.

How difficult is it to put new front/rear sprockets and chain on. Is it hard to make sure the back wheel is aligned once you put it back on? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Based on your comment 'i do it right' i'll say purchase a new chain/sprocket setup and use one of the following final drive combos.........16/40 or 16/41 W/112L chain.

Theres many choices available but a few that stand out are DID & EK chains. Sprockets are a plenty but again some notable ones being used by many are AFAM, Renthal and RRP. The difference between a 520 & 525 chain is the physical size so if your wanting the lightest but strongest chain with a high tensile strength the DID 520erv2 is it but if your not too concerned with such trivial nonesense then stay with a high quality 525.

As for attempting this yourself you'll need a few tools like a chain rivet tool, air rachet & compressor to remove the countershaft nut so if your more comfortable letting someone else do the job do it.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

With only 1300 miles on the bike, I'd stay with the OEM chain and go down 1 tooth in the front. All the front sprockets are steel because of the load on only a small number of teeth.

Depending on how much acceleration you want (at the expense of losing top end) go up in the rear as needed.

Mal
'12 ZX-14R
'12 ZX-10R
65+ and medicated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 07:20 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to crispin
I used to be so hot on gearing the bike untill I leared to clutch it up.

Once you learn how to use the clutch the gearing doesn't really matter too much.

I run 17/40 520 and am real happy with it

ya ya ya...
post #5 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 08:33 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I went to a 17/42 setup yesterday and took it out today. very please with the results.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 10:18 PM

Posting Frequency

I'd try going -1 up front. It is an inexpensive mod ($30) and if you don't like it you are not out very much. From there you can determine if you want to change the gearing further.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 10:21 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketracermike
I went to a 17/42 setup yesterday and took it out today. very please with the results.
Did you happen to do any high speed runs? What was your top speed with this gearing? This is the set-up I am thinking of going to with a 520 chain
post #8 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 10:43 PM

Posting Frequency

17/42 is my recommendation. I went with a Renthal alum sprocket, DID ERV 525 chain, and a Vortex front sprocket. VERY pleased with the results. Haven't noticed any faults with going to an alum sprocket either. It's every bit as tough, maybe tougher than the OEM sprocket piece of crap.

Here's a photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	5252  
post #9 of 22 Old 07-18-2005, 07:44 AM

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the response Bchild! I was wondering if you could giv eme some info though. Would you please be able to tell me how fast you are going cruising at 6500 rpms in 6th gear? Again thank you very much
post #10 of 22 Old 07-18-2005, 10:00 AM

Posting Frequency

Im running a 16/41 520 renthal ultra light weight sprockets and an EK chain went with EK because i wanted the green links. I live about 2 hours away from denver in gering Ne. its about 4400 ft here. It will definitly help Ive had no problem with reliability with the smaller lighter chain. I would'nt go with. any lower gearing than this though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in