Speedometer not working. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to caboose
Speedometer not working.

Bike is an 04. Had it apart this winter and just got it pretty much put back together and i noticed today that the speedometer stays at 0.

Sprocket cover and sensor appear to be installed correctly. I know there's one connector at the bottom of the motor and another behind the top, right motor mount. I still have to make sure those connections are good.

Are the CSS sensors prone to failure? is it likely just a bad connection somewhere? Any one else had this start happening for no apparent reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
Bike is an 04. Had it apart this winter and just got it pretty much put back together and i noticed today that the speedometer stays at 0.

Sprocket cover and sensor appear to be installed correctly. I know there's one connector at the bottom of the motor and another behind the top, right motor mount. I still have to make sure those connections are good.

Are the CSS sensors prone to failure? is it likely just a bad connection somewhere? Any one else had this start happening for no apparent reason?
Not common...04 bike is easy to check out. Do you have a SpeedoHealer?....If not shame on you as that also makes it easy to test out your system.....but yes check out the connector by the motor if not.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

No speedohealer. So far couldn't be bothered to install one, the speed being off doesn't really bother me.

Alright, i'll get me some dielectric grease and do some wire wiggling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

It's really easy to pinch the wire that goes down from the upper fairing, along the left side of the engine, to the plug for the speed sensor. Been there ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #5 of 14 Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

hi there....,mi speedo is working but the numbers keep jumping up n down..
wat the cause of these.bad speedo sensor or i need to clean up n check wiring...
post #6 of 14 Old 03-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

SPEED SENSOR may be the cause.. I have a NEW OEM speedo sensor CHEEP.. I bought it for my 05 and came to findout it was the METER itself.. LMK if anyone needs one..
post #7 of 14 Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

well i pulled all the connectors, put some dielectric grease on them then put em back together. after i cleaned the two connectors behind the left upper the speedo worked again. after i put all the fairings back on it wasnt working.

seems like a bad connection somewhere, gonna take em back off again soon and make sure nothing is pinched.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
well i pulled all the connectors, put some dielectric grease on them then put em back together. after i cleaned the two connectors behind the left upper the speedo worked again. after i put all the fairings back on it wasnt working.

seems like a bad connection somewhere, gonna take em back off again soon and make sure nothing is pinched.
Did you check the Instrument Cluster Connector as well? Also try pulling out the Speed sensor it's easy to do and clean it. You can also check voltages at the bottom of the engine connector because the Cluster for the 04/05 is supplied by the cluster to the Sensor. This is another reason besides the Speed being off by 6% on your bike to have a SpeedoHealer. It has a test mode to simulate the Speed sensor and helps in troubleshooting problems like this. Good luck and let us know.

bloo
post #9 of 14 Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

turns out it was the plug on the back of the instrument panel. wasn't quite clicked in completely, shoved it in there properly with some dielectric grease and it seems to be working properly. i don't even remember unplugging that connector! oh well.. the winters rebuild is now 100% complete!
post #10 of 14 Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to jdgun_13
Well how about some pics Caboose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in