Spark Plugs - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Spark Plugs

Can someone point me to a quick how to on spark plug replacement for an '08? Service manual says I have to completely remove the tank and drain all the fuel. (?) Yes, I searched already. This is a 20 minute job on my gsxr, cannot be that difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think it's pretty similar to the earlier gens but I think it's going to take a bit longer than 20 min. It was stupid long on my 1st gen. I had to remove the tank, airbox, side fairings and motor mounts in order to get the outside plugs out. It took me 3 hours. Hopefully it won't be that difficult for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Damn, 3 hours? I was hoping the manual was over-complicating the job. I guess not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

You dont really need to drain the tank. And i heard you dont need to remove the engine mounts on the 3rd gen, but not sure

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #5 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop View Post
Can someone point me to a quick how to on spark plug replacement for an '08? Service manual says I have to completely remove the tank and drain all the fuel. (?) Yes, I searched already. This is a 20 minute job on my gsxr, cannot be that difficult.
The best thing to do is follow the instructions in the service manual although I will tell you that you do not need to remove the gas from the tank before you remove it. The fuel line has a quick disconnect that attaches to the fuel pump and no fuel will run through the fuel pump unless it is running.

What I do is remove the two front mounting bolts (the ones that also mount the steering dampener bracket) and then I slightly losen the larger bolt under the seat. I only loosen the back bolt because you can then use the back bolt as a hinge to lift the front of the tank up. Then with a medium size flathead screwdriver release the red tab on the quick disconnect and then disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump. A small amount of gas will leak out so put some rags underneath the pump before you disconnect the fuel line. Make sure that when you take the tank off that you don't sit the tank directly on the nipple where the quick disconnect slides on. I usually place a roll of paper towels under the front of the tank and that will lift the front up enough to clear the nipple.

The rest of the job is relatively easy. Removing the airbox isn't a problem and the throttle body assembly is not very difficult to remove either.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

By the way you don't actually need to remove the throttle bodies but it makes the job a lot easier. How many miles do you have on the current plugs? The reason why I ask is because even the stock plugs should be good until the valves need to be checked at 15K miles. This is the best time to change the plugs obviously. I know the manual says to replace them every 7.5K miles but if you ask any mechanic who works on these bikes they will tell you that the plugs will typically still look new even at 7.5K miles. I have experienced this myself so many times working at a motorcycle dealership that only change the plugs when I have the valves checked.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymike View Post
The best thing to do is follow the instructions in the service manual although I will tell you that you do not need to remove the gas from the tank before you remove it. The fuel line has a quick disconnect that attaches to the fuel pump and no fuel will run through the fuel pump unless it is running.

What I do is remove the two front mounting bolts (the ones that also mount the steering dampener bracket) and then I slightly losen the larger bolt under the seat. I only loosen the back bolt because you can then use the back bolt as a hinge to lift the front of the tank up. Then with a medium size flathead screwdriver release the red tab on the quick disconnect and then disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump. A small amount of gas will leak out so put some rags underneath the pump before you disconnect the fuel line. Make sure that when you take the tank off that you don't sit the tank directly on the nipple where the quick disconnect slides on. I usually place a roll of paper towels under the front of the tank and that will lift the front up enough to clear the nipple.

The rest of the job is relatively easy. Removing the airbox isn't a problem and the throttle body assembly is not very difficult to remove either.
Thanks...doesn't sound too bad.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymike View Post
By the way you don't actually need to remove the throttle bodies but it makes the job a lot easier. How many miles do you have on the current plugs? The reason why I ask is because even the stock plugs should be good until the valves need to be checked at 15K miles. This is the best time to change the plugs obviously. I know the manual says to replace them every 7.5K miles but if you ask any mechanic who works on these bikes they will tell you that the plugs will typically still look new even at 7.5K miles. I have experienced this myself so many times working at a motorcycle dealership that only change the plugs when I have the valves checked.
Bike just hit 7300. I'm super anal about sticking to the scheduled maintenance - but I've also noticed the plugs on my gsxr were fine after 13k. The stock plugs in the 10 are NGK iridium so I was a little surprised the interval was only 7500. I guess I expected they would last longer.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 11:17 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I wouldn't say 20 mins...more like 30 min job for a gen 3.

Remove seat
remove tank
remove 2ndary injector lines
remove air box
plugs are right there
for plug 1&4 pull it forward towards the radiator

replace everything.

For the 1st gen...yes, it takes a bit longer cause you have to remove the side motor mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in