Smog Block Off Question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Smog Block Off Question

Has anyone actually tuned their bike before block offs, and then again after? I know they are supposed to help get a better A/F ratio reading but is it worth the $25 +/- dollars (i know you can do it yourself but id prefer a cleaner install) and the pain in the ass to install them?

Basically any block off reviews and is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 PM
MIdlife PIMP

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to bodymanruss518
never on a dyno......but after I installed them,......the bike sounded a lil deeper and throaty.....also eliminated backfire on decel.........for me it was worth the 25bucks

Better to have a gun and not need one, than to need a gun and not have one!!.......

you can lose money chasing women, but,......
you'll never lose women chasing money!!....
post #3 of 67 Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Venom132
They are cake to install dude. I just installed Ivans plates on my '08 2 weeks ago. A&R and Muzzy also make some decent ones. I took some pics I can post when I get home. I run a full exhaust and the block-off plates kill the backfire on decel like bodymanruss said. I didn't dyno the bike before and after the plate install, but being that this system injects exhaust gas into the airbox, getting rid of that can only be a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 08-08-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom132 View Post
They are cake to install dude. I just installed Ivans plates on my '08 2 weeks ago. A&R and Muzzy also make some decent ones. I took some pics I can post when I get home. I run a full exhaust and the block-off plates kill the backfire on decel like bodymanruss said. I didn't dyno the bike before and after the plate install, but being that this system injects exhaust gas into the airbox, getting rid of that can only be a good thing.
sounds like it was worth it then. I have the Akra SS full system and i get the occasional pop on decel, but i was considering getting the block offs before going in for the custom map. saw some A&Rs on ebay for $25 and some no names for $15. ill prob pick some up. thanks guys
post #5 of 67 Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Smog plates removal

OK here are some pics. This is on my '08 10r but yours shouldn't be much different.

First pic is with the "Air Induction System" installed. 2nd pic is the removed AIS on the bottom and the block-off plates on top. 3rd pic is the block-off plates installed.

One note: I actually had to keep the AIS motor plugged into the harness to keep the FI light from coming on, but this might only be an 08 thing. I just removed all the hoses and tucked it away and secured it down with zip ties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373-22.JPG
Views:	1201
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	74950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380-2.JPG
Views:	1278
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	74953  
Attached Images

post #6 of 67 Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
..... but being that this system injects exhaust gas into the airbox, ......
You sure 'bout that?

Thou Shalt Respect Thy 10, And Revel In It's Power, For It Is Good, And Plentiful.
post #7 of 67 Old 08-09-2008, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Looks a bit cramped, but the install seems to be cake. Thanks for the pics Venom.
post #8 of 67 Old 08-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenshead View Post
You sure 'bout that?
Sorry lenshead... I just re-read my post and my statement that the AIS injects exhaust into the airbox is all backwards. The AIS injects air into the exhaust. Specifically, it injects air into the exhaust manifold at the exhaust valve. This allows any unburned fuel exiting the engine with the exhaust to burn and decreases emissions. That "popping" you hear on decel if you don't remove the AIS and have a full exhaust is that excess fuel igniting. If anyone has more info please share, this is my understanding.
post #9 of 67 Old 08-09-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Sorry lenshead... I just re-read my post and my statement that the AIS injects exhaust into the airbox is all backwards. The AIS injects air into the exhaust. Specifically, it injects air into the exhaust manifold at the exhaust valve. This allows any unburned fuel exiting the engine with the exhaust to burn and decreases emissions. That "popping" you hear on decel if you don't remove the AIS and have a full exhaust is that excess fuel igniting. If anyone has more info please share, this is my understanding.
From what ive read, that sounds exactly right. guess i quickly skimmed over your initial post. this air going into the exhaust manifold also alters your baseline A/F ratio when getting a custom tune. so by eliminating this with the block offs your baseline A/F ratio will be more accurate, hence a better final A/F ratio once tuned. Just wish i could see some before and afters on the dyno. I dont blame anyone for wanting a waste a few hundred just to see, but it would be nice.
post #10 of 67 Old 08-10-2008, 02:46 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

To tune a bike on the Dyno you will need to block the airflow somehow. Tuners can use clamps to do it but then they have to be able to clamp the hoses that come out of the valve cover. So why not just get the block off plates and eliminate that stuff?

If you gotta ask you can't afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in