Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

slipper clutch & clutch plates...

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  jarhead05 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where I can buy OEM clutch and friction plates pretty cheap along with a slipper clutch? Which brand is good and will last me...a couple of my friction and steel plates burnt on me and I am thinking its from downshifting too fast. The bike is under warranty but the shop said that it is a wear&tear item so it's probably not going to be covered :angryfire ...they are hopefully going to just replace the bad plates and then this winter I will replace all of them. A buddy of mind told me to invest into a slipper clutch and it would help...does the ZX-10 have one built in on the 04' model?

#4 ·
They told me it was 3 friction plates....the total out the door is $170...and no it doesn't come with a slipper clutch....the zx-636 or zx6r does....not the 10...and I wish I could do wheelies and stoppies!!!!

#6 ·
I would bet there are more than three plates in there, more like 9 friction and 9 steel. I thought both the ZX6RR and the ZX10R both had the slipper clutch. You can buy the parts to convert them, all you need is the outside hub and some of the internal washers. I priced mine while doing the clutch and it was going to be another $100 to convert it.

#9 ·
sorry guys...the service mech told me that they didn't come with a slipper...and I know there is more than 3 friction plates....I just need to replace 3 of them...and I need to stop engine braking and using my regular brakes...this is the first time I have ever burned out a couple of clutch plates and I have been riding for awhile...so I don't know WTF is going on...

#10 ·
I'd visit another service mechanic if you can't do it yourself. If someone else is going to do the wrenching, they better damn well know that I have a slipper clutch... Otherwise, they have no business even draining my oil! :sad:

#11 ·
Agreeing with Bikerscum, the 10r HAS a slipper clutch, STOCK!! They may call it a back torque limiter, but its the same thing, so if the mechanic doesn't know the 10 has a slipper clutch, you should seriously take it some where else, as he obviously doesn't know the 10 very well at all!!

#13 · (Edited)
Your mechanic is an idiot.

It has a slipper clutch that can be adjusted (by removing springs) to slip more to prevent wheel hop if desired.

Now you paid the labor for a full clutch job and went half ass.

Any decent mechanic would have pressed you to replace all the plates if you burned some steel and some friction.

Slipper lessens clutch wear from downshifts as it jumps the one way ramps rather than applying full force to the crank.

More likely you burned plates on take offs with the extremely tall 1st gear.

If I tried to get this bike to come off the line like my short(stock) geared cbr900 I'm SURE that I would burn the clutch quickly.

#14 ·
jarhead05 said:
sorry guys...the service mech told me that they didn't come with a slipper...and I know there is more than 3 friction plates....I just need to replace 3 of them...and I need to stop engine braking and using my regular brakes...this is the first time I have ever burned out a couple of clutch plates and I have been riding for awhile...so I don't know WTF is going on...

I'll echo everybody else...your mech is a dumba**.

2nd i'd never replace only 3 friction plates, if your going to do it replace them all while your in there

#15 ·
Sorry Guys

Wasn't trying to yell at anyone...I know it has a slipper...it just needs adjusted...I am having them replace the 3 plates and I will be replacing all of them this winter due to the weather I won't be able to ride...that is when I am overhauling and adding all the toys....thanks for all of the advice....and yes....the mech is a dumba$s!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.