Should I be concerned? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Should I be concerned?

I have a 2nd Gen, with 42,000kms on her, I just had oil and filter changed, KN air fliter cleaned, new plugs, and new front pads, put on her last week.

I took her for a ride the other nite, rode for about 20 mins then got stuck in dead stop traffic (they were workin on the roads) so the bike sat idle for about 5 mins, so I did notice the temp was gettin warmer but nothing she hasnt done before. So once we got goin again, I went around a sharp off ramp, so the bike was leaned over, which Im not sure if that had anything to do with it, just tryin to figure out and tell all details so it might have happened to someone else. Anyway why goin around this turn my red lite started flashin. I stop as soon as I finished the turn and the red lite continued to flash. I shut the bike off, and check my oil window, to make sure she wasnt low, but it was perfect, a couple guys with me did some checkin of the bike, made sure the oil pump was working, and all seemed fine. So we started the bike back up and no lite, so I drove her for about an hour and never seen the red lite again.

I took it out again last nite and still no more red lite, to be honest the bike is workin so nice with the new plugs and air filter cleaned....works so nice!

Im goin on a long ride to another province this weekend and kind of concerned, dont want to damage the bike.

So with this only happenin once, should I be concerned, or is there something I should check....anything?

thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'd say no harm no foul.

If it happened in my wife's car I'd put a piece of tape over the red light just in case it did it again

post #3 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Red that happened to me once as well. I did a quick U-turn on a highway and took off and noticed that my oil light was flashing. I pulled over and quick checked to see if the drain plug or oil filter were leaking, nothing. Didn't see anything else so got back on her and took off. No light flashing after that.

I don't know where the oil pickup is at on these bikes but I wondered if maybe it just picked up some air or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Most likely an air pocket in the system from the oil change. IF it was just the red light. If you get an FI warning, the same light will flash in conjunction with the 'FI' label on the LCD to indicate a problem. If that happens, something triggered an alert for the fuel injection system.

If it was momentary (i.e.- reset when you turned the bike off and then on), I wouldn't worry about it too much. Go on your ride and not sweat it, but do keep your eye on it and be more diligent about watching for it. I'd also familiarize yourself with the procedure to pull the FI error code if it happens again and you notice the FI tag on the LCD. The code will tell you if there's an error and you can pull the code on the side of the road if it happens again and is not just the oil low warning light. But you can only pull the code while the light is flashing.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R_Sinner View Post
Red that happened to me once as well. I did a quick U-turn on a highway and took off and noticed that my oil light was flashing. I pulled over and quick checked to see if the drain plug or oil filter were leaking, nothing. Didn't see anything else so got back on her and took off. No light flashing after that.

I don't know where the oil pickup is at on these bikes but I wondered if maybe it just picked up some air or something.
Ya thats what I really am hopin it was the only time I will see it too. I have been riding her every nite just tryin to set it off before the wknd, would rather if it is goin to come on be close to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Most likely an air pocket in the system from the oil change. IF it was just the red light. If you get an FI warning, the same light will flash in conjunction with the 'FI' label on the LCD to indicate a problem. If that happens, something triggered an alert for the fuel injection system.

If it was momentary (i.e.- reset when you turned the bike off and then on), I wouldn't worry about it too much. Go on your ride and not sweat it, but do keep your eye on it and be more diligent about watching for it. I'd also familiarize yourself with the procedure to pull the FI error code if it happens again and you notice the FI tag on the LCD. The code will tell you if there's an error and you can pull the code on the side of the road if it happens again and is not just the oil low warning light. But you can only pull the code while the light is flashing.

Ya I didnt notice if it was for the Fi or oil, I just assumed it was for the oil until I got lookin at the manual book. I will for sure watch if it does come back on if its for the oil or Fi.

Im really hopin it was an airpocket or something like that, cause of all the work I just had done, and hopefully its gone.

thanks for the comment guys, helps me decide about this wknd.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by logmaster View Post
I'd say no harm no foul.

If it happened in my wife's car I'd put a piece of tape over the red light just in case it did it again

If it was my car...no problem get the suck tape out!!....but not my girl, she is spoiled
post #7 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 02:55 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by red636girl View Post
If it was my car...no problem get the suck tape out!!....but not my girl, she is spoiled
Tell us more about this "suck tape"
post #8 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I always bump the starter button a couple times, without starting the bike, to remove air pockets after a oil change.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 05:02 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by COVY View Post
I always bump the starter button a couple times, without starting the bike, to remove air pockets after a oil change.
That actually won't do shit. The filter will still have a big air pocket and by thumbing the starter a few times, all you're doing is wearing out the starter and the starter clutch faster. There won't be enough volume of oil just momentarily hitting the starter to do anything. Until you start the motor and get the oil to pull up from the sump and circulate through the system, you're doing more damage than helping.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #10 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
That actually won't do shit. The filter will still have a big air pocket and by thumbing the starter a few times, all you're doing is wearing out the starter and the starter clutch faster. There won't be enough volume of oil just momentarily hitting the starter to do anything. Until you start the motor and get the oil to pull up from the sump and circulate through the system, you're doing more damage than helping.
Hmm, good to know. But it seems I remember a huge thread about this months ago, and alot of forum members posted that they do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in