Shifting issues - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-02-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Shifting issues

New member today. Just bought a 05zx10. 200mi Noticed a disturbing notchy shift between 3- 2nd gear(mainly) on the downshift. As I shift I feel somthing tap the clutch mechanism. It translates to a knock on the clutch lever which I can feel on my fingers(and the rear wheel once!!!) Has anyone experienced this strange glitch?
Its a rather notchy shifter in general, however I am in the break in period. It has the feeling of a bent shift fork, or a damaged drum. Hope it resolves. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Is it just as you are letting the clutch out? My first guess would be it's just the slipper clutch doing it's job, as I have had the same sort of feeling through the clutch lever when it does its job.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

All slipper clutches have a pulse through the clutch lever on
high rpm downshifts. It is just the inner hub moving uo the ramp like it is designed to do. Hydraulic clutches have more feedback at the lever on downshifts.
Make sure you have the right amount of freeplay in the clutch lever when the engine and clutch are hot. To much freeplay and downshifting will be harsh or difficult. To little freeplay and the clutch will slip and overheat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-02-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

That sounds logical, but the pulse I am getting is quite unnatural. .......Just went searching and it appears others have noticed this clicking lever too. And they also attribute this to the slipper clutch. It was my understanding that the 04/05 did not have a true slipper cluth like the 06. I know the new R1 has it also.
What is strange is that it is doing it at a cushy 4-5k breakin in rpm. What is gonna happen when I start to wind it up? Also the zx10 has a manual actuator and is not hydro. I hope it smooths out after the brake in.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-02-2006, 11:46 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i bang through the gears on downshifting and she stays pretty much in check, so whatever kind of slipper clutch you want to call it, it works for me. just rip the bitch open, its broken in enough

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #6 of 17 Old 04-02-2006, 11:57 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

You might want to check the shift linkage for proper adjustment, and check for binds. If thats all good it could be time to take your clutch apart for a closer inspection.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-03-2006, 12:24 AM

Posting Frequency

I had a thread about this the other day. My bike is doing the same thing. I can actually feel something click or vibrate the clutch lever. Mine seems to only do it when upshifting (just as I'm about to release the clutch lever). I am in the second half of the break in period now and was hoping it would quit but it did it once or twice again today.

Mine appears to do it only on upshifts, not downshifting. If I don't use the clutch at all for upshifting, it doesn't appears to ever do it. But, not using the clutch in street traffic is hard to shift smoothly.

I don't know what the problem is but I am having the same problem.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-03-2006, 12:37 AM

Posting Frequency

i dunno about what u guys are dealing with my my 04 would give me shifting problems when it was new. it felt like the clutches were sticking together. id release the clutch then a moment later get a bang and jerk like the clutch giving free.

i started leaning the bike over to soak the clutches before and often during rides as it would help for awhile. (similar to gladens soaking the clutches)

anyway my bike corrected itself and hasnt done it in forever.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Well, it is good to know someone else has this exact problem. I am going to contact dealers for input. It is also interesting that when I first bought the bike,
0 mi. the clutch let out right at the bar. And yes the clutch free play was perfect. It was actually walking a bit unless the cluth was tight against the bar. Now it is much better after 200mi. This is prob. normal.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-03-2006, 09:25 AM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKBOY1
Well, it is good to know someone else has this exact problem. I am going to contact dealers for input. It is also interesting that when I first bought the bike,
0 mi. the clutch let out right at the bar. And yes the clutch free play was perfect. It was actually walking a bit unless the cluth was tight against the bar. Now it is much better after 200mi. This is prob. normal.
Let me know what you find out. Since it doesn't happen every shift, I've been afraid to take it to a dealer because they'll ride it up the block and it won't do it and they'll say my bike is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in