Secondary butterflies removed or TRE - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider
 
ikaika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Honokai Hale, HI
Posts: 524
Posting Frequency
 
Secondary butterflies removed or TRE

I just wanted to see what the consensus was on this topic. I want more low end grunt from my 08 ZX10R without having to change the gearing. I was looking at the most cost effective way to do this. Will removing the Secondary Butterflies (which is free and free is good) do this for me or should I get a TRE or better yet, should I do both!? Thanks for the help and advice again.
ikaika is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Champion Rider
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: illinois
Posts: 346
Posting Frequency
 
I havent done the secondaries yet, but from what has been said here secondaries is probably your best bet! there is a few threads about this topic that will give you more info. search'em up.

There's no such thing as horsepower overload or a bike that carries its front wheel too often.
j1000 is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 PM
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyrum, JawGa
Posts: 3,645
Posting Frequency
       
I would think that a TRE on the 08 will disable your Gear Indicator by making it read the same gear all the time. If your cool with that......

I don't know, maybe I just got a special one. Mine doesn't need any extra low end grunt. I put 90 miles on mine today and that f#cker just flat out flys.

Even out on the freeway I found it difficult to get past 8000 RPM's without going ballistic.

I entered onto the freeway down a sloping entrance and gave it full throttle in 1st gear and thought it was going to flip over.

Good Luck in your search for low end grunt!!!

JJ
JimmyJam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Champion Rider
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: illinois
Posts: 346
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
I would think that a TRE on the 08 will disable your Gear Indicator by making it read the same gear all the time. If your cool with that......

I don't know, maybe I just got a special one. Mine doesn't need any extra low end grunt. I put 90 miles on mine today and that f#cker just flat out flys.

Even out on the freeway I found it difficult to get past 8000 RPM's without going ballistic.

I entered onto the freeway down a sloping entrance and gave it full throttle in 1st gear and thought it was going to flip over.

Good Luck in your search for low end grunt!!!

JJ
I agree, before i really rode the bike i said i was doing secondaries and all that, but after doing some real riding on it, i dont see the low end being weak at all, this bike scares the shit out of me every time i ride it and i dont see the need to do anything right now. love it!

There's no such thing as horsepower overload or a bike that carries its front wheel too often.
j1000 is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 PM
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyrum, JawGa
Posts: 3,645
Posting Frequency
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1000 View Post
I agree, before i really rode the bike i said i was doing secondaries and all that, but after doing some real riding on it, i dont see the low end being weak at all, this bike scares the shit out of me every time i ride it and i dont see the need to do anything right now. love it!


I couldn't agree more. I had 35 easy miles on mine before going out today. Yes I have had the bike several months but it has been brutally cold or raining. Today was perfect. I rode an easy 10 miles over to the interstate, filled up with gas, crossed over the bridge, made a left onto the entrance ramp, going down hill and nailed it in 1st gear and I swear it would have flipped over. That scared the sh!t out of me.

I had a hard time out on the freeway getting much above 8000 RPM's as you are now going go to jail speeds.

I dropped down into 3rd gear at about 70 MPH, thinking then I could wack it and see what she will do, but the [email protected] thing wanted to power wheely like crazy and I had to back off.

This 08 far exceeds my 06 by a bunch. I just LOVE IT!!!

I have 130 miles on it now and changed the oil and filter after I got home and put in some Valvoline conventional oil. I will run that to about 600 miles then in goes the synthetic.

Gesus H Krist that bike hauls @ss. I was thinking about keeping my 06 until after today.

I can't beleive they can legally sell this sh!t.

JJ
JimmyJam is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 AM
GP Rider
 
spikespiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 1,274
Posting Frequency
Images: 8
    
Send a message via AIM to spikespiegel Send a message via Yahoo to spikespiegel
lol exactly, i was going downhill in a straightway before the turns got real twisty, so i decided to try and keep her pinned in 3rd (cause i haven't been able to in first and second in the top) and lo and behold, the front came up on me, IN 3rD! Going downhill!!!

Down low, it does have the grunt if you feed it a bit of revs, i still think other liters may have the edge, but its certainly not terribly slow down low. I'm gonna TRY the secondary fly removal after i pass 1200 miles (right now at 700+)
spikespiegel is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM
GP Rider
 
spikespiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 1,274
Posting Frequency
Images: 8
    
Send a message via AIM to spikespiegel Send a message via Yahoo to spikespiegel
Initial impressions from doing secondary butterfly removal mod

Big thanks to Zxdave for helping me out with answering all my annoying questions regarding this mod.

I was wrenching on the MV earlier today putting on a ti rear subframe and thought i could probably do the 2ndary butterfly valve mod on the ZX while i'm in the mood. Now i know kawi's relatively well as i had a 07 6R and did also sorts of mods on it myself. THe 10R was a lot easier and better to work on.

In terms of easiness, I just took the airbox cover and the air-filter holder and the duct out, everything else remained intact. I just worked my way around the velo stacks and just used a #2 screwdriver and got the screws out one by one and then the valves. Simple enough, no heat , nothing.

Impressions: I'm at a 1000 miles now and know the powerband kind of well at this point. After this mod, it seems like there the little bit that the 08 lacked is taken care of with this mod. It DEF feels like the front will come up at 4-5k now or even earlier if you have the balls to keep it pinned lol. With almost 30 miles with this mod in the twisties I don't think the mod affects mid range or up top at all but I can definitely tell you that down low is way diff, more power for sure.

I was thinking about doing a front sprocket change but no need now, i'm VERY happy with the bike. Now it has the bitching low end that matches how insane the top is!

Oh and I also did some quick tests in going WOT in like 3rd or 4th gear, and there is no lag as I thought there might have been. Response is instaneous as before, there is no rough idling, theres no roughness at all anywhere. Just more power.

As I put more miles after this mod (stupid weather) I will have more detailed feedback. THis will be my fifth valve removal on the bike (counting the exhaust butterfly valve ) and I gotta say, I am LOVING these free mods! Any naysayers or doubters, do the mod, you will not regret it.
spikespiegel is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Bloo Moderator
 
bluedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SAC,CA
Posts: 23,742
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
Big thanks to Zxdave for helping me out with answering all my annoying questions regarding this mod.

I was wrenching on the MV earlier today putting on a ti rear subframe and thought i could probably do the 2ndary butterfly valve mod on the ZX while i'm in the mood. Now i know kawi's relatively well as i had a 07 6R and did also sorts of mods on it myself. THe 10R was a lot easier and better to work on.

In terms of easiness, I just took the airbox cover and the air-filter holder and the duct out, everything else remained intact. I just worked my way around the velo stacks and just used a #2 screwdriver and got the screws out one by one and then the valves. Simple enough, no heat , nothing.

Impressions: I'm at a 1000 miles now and know the powerband kind of well at this point. After this mod, it seems like there the little bit that the 08 lacked is taken care of with this mod. It DEF feels like the front will come up at 4-5k now or even earlier if you have the balls to keep it pinned lol. With almost 30 miles with this mod in the twisties I don't think the mod affects mid range or up top at all but I can definitely tell you that down low is way diff, more power for sure.

I was thinking about doing a front sprocket change but no need now, i'm VERY happy with the bike. Now it has the bitching low end that matches how insane the top is!

Oh and I also did some quick tests in going WOT in like 3rd or 4th gear, and there is no lag as I thought there might have been. Response is instaneous as before, there is no rough idling, theres no roughness at all anywhere. Just more power.

As I put more miles after this mod (stupid weather) I will have more detailed feedback. THis will be my fifth valve removal on the bike (counting the exhaust butterfly valve ) and I gotta say, I am LOVING these free mods! Any naysayers or doubters, do the mod, you will not regret it.

Why are you messing with the 08 10R it still doesn't come close to what you post in another thread to the MV:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
no way, the mv 312R is known for hitting 312kph which is i think 192mph and thats the "fastest" top speed on a prod bike. I believe the zx's are good for 185ish... and mine comes up in 3rd on power wihtout any sprocket mods...
or is one your track bike the other is
bluedevil is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 PM
GP Rider
 
spikespiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 1,274
Posting Frequency
Images: 8
    
Send a message via AIM to spikespiegel Send a message via Yahoo to spikespiegel
not sure what you mean?

I'm messin with the 10R cause i love messin with stuff in general. The MV F4 Senna in my garage is not the same as the MV312R which has a "theoretical" speed of 312kph (hence the name). But anyway, what does that have to do anything with this mod?
spikespiegel is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Bloo Moderator
 
bluedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SAC,CA
Posts: 23,742
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
not sure what you mean?

I'm messin with the 10R cause i love messin with stuff in general. The MV F4 Senna in my garage is not the same as the MV312R which has a "theoretical" speed of 312kph (hence the name). But anyway, what does that have to do anything with this mod?
Gotcha, you were bragging about how fast or Slow the 08 is in top speed to the MV model you don't have, but have a water down version that can lift up in 3rd gear no problem without Gearing, but the 08 can't but this MOD helps ......never mind maybe I'm just getting tired of reading the same reports in 10 different threads so thought I would be different. I guess next time or maybe all the time I will just merge them ALL!!!!!!!!

bloo
bluedevil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to remove secondary butterflies hesaves0211 Performance and Tech 790 09-28-2014 08:12 PM
how to remove secondary butterflies hesaves0211 How To... 1 03-26-2008 08:41 PM
secondary butterflies and actuator hongthaomurphy Performance and Tech 13 07-16-2006 07:09 AM
Secondary Butterflies miykl Performance and Tech 96 01-13-2005 09:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome