Running Rich? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
10R
WSB Rider
 
10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 698
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
   
Running Rich?

I modified the stock exhaust and removed the secondary butterflies. I removed the stock muffler and midpipe, and I'm just using an exhaust tip made from the midpipe, so the exhaust exit is right behind my heel and ending right before the swingarm. After doing the exhaust and butterfly removal mod my bike seems to still run rich. I expected it to be lean, as it was said removing the secondary butterflies would cause that. Any ideas as to why it would run rich after all this?
__________________
10R is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
GP Star
 
silversv1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 2,524
Posting Frequency
Images: 44
          
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10R View Post
I modified the stock exhaust and removed the secondary butterflies. I removed the stock muffler and midpipe, and I'm just using an exhaust tip made from the midpipe, so the exhaust exit is right behind my heel and ending right before the swingarm. After doing the exhaust and butterfly removal mod my bike seems to still run rich. I expected it to be lean, as it was said removing the secondary butterflies would cause that. Any ideas as to why it would run rich after all this?
__________________
how are you determining that its running rich?
silversv1k is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
10R
WSB Rider
 
10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 698
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
   
Well, thats the thing... I haven't ridden it in this condition yet or had it on a dyno or anything. I don't have a power commander yet, getting one this week, so i didn't want to ride it if I am wrong and it is actually running lean. What led me to believe it was rich though is that when running, the exhaust reaks of gas. Also, if you rev the engine a bit it will blow flames. I don't mean to sound like an idiot, and I'm sure many would say my exhaust mod was a moronic decision, but I like the look and sound. I don't wanna take a chance on running the bike in a foul condition and damaging the engine though.
10R is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
GP Star
 
silversv1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 2,524
Posting Frequency
Images: 44
          
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10R View Post
Well, thats the thing... I haven't ridden it in this condition yet or had it on a dyno or anything. I don't have a power commander yet, getting one this week, so i didn't want to ride it if I am wrong and it is actually running lean. What led me to believe it was rich though is that when running, the exhaust reaks of gas. Also, if you rev the engine a bit it will blow flames. I don't mean to sound like an idiot, and I'm sure many would say my exhaust mod was a moronic decision, but I like the look and sound. I don't wanna take a chance on running the bike in a foul condition and damaging the engine though.
im not expect but ya i would wait til you get the pc3 and get it sorted before you ride it, imho you may like the ehaust now, but after a while i bet your gonna get annoyed by it, as do most boz brothers exhaust owners, which is pretty much what you have now. if it doesnt then more power to you and watch out for cops
silversv1k is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
10R
WSB Rider
 
10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 698
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
   
Ya, thanks man. I painted the pipe black and I think it looks pretty cool. We'll see if it gets on my nerves after a while though. I just can't imagine it smelling so bad and blowing flames if it was too lean? It's got me confused, but we'll see what the chart says after i get it mapped I guess.
10R is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
GP Star
 
silversv1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 2,524
Posting Frequency
Images: 44
          
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10R View Post
Ya, thanks man. I painted the pipe black and I think it looks pretty cool. We'll see if it gets on my nerves after a while though. I just can't imagine it smelling so bad and blowing flames if it was too lean? It's got me confused, but we'll see what the chart says after i get it mapped I guess.
post up some pics
silversv1k is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
10R
WSB Rider
 
10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 698
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
   
I will after I put the lower fairing back on. The paint is drying.
10R is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Chairman of the Board
 
or10r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 15,997
Posting Frequency
Images: 17
           
Garage
Could be your smog device allowing fresh air into your exhaust. Try this mod, http://youtube.com/watch?v=RIqSvXDb8GA. It worked great after I installed my Area P exhaust I had the same problem, did this mod and it stopped it.
or10r is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
10R is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
FAF
Rent this space
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,590
Posting Frequency
Images: 8
           
You arent getting any reversion in the pipe anymore and with the cam overlap angles you have on a ZX10R you will lose power by losing fuel to exhaust.

Re Map to allow for the missing back pressure.

Last edited by FAF; 04-02-2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: modified to correct terminology
FAF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike started running rich suddenly bugman53 Performance and Tech 12 11-02-2007 11:56 AM
running rich.. SOUN1 Performance and Tech 7 04-27-2007 01:24 PM
Thanx Rich!!!!!!!!!!!!! treyzx10r The ZX-10R 8 07-01-2006 12:01 PM
Running rich with nitrous 1killer1liter Performance and Tech 31 07-08-2005 05:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome