Running Rich? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
10R
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Running Rich?

I modified the stock exhaust and removed the secondary butterflies. I removed the stock muffler and midpipe, and I'm just using an exhaust tip made from the midpipe, so the exhaust exit is right behind my heel and ending right before the swingarm. After doing the exhaust and butterfly removal mod my bike seems to still run rich. I expected it to be lean, as it was said removing the secondary butterflies would cause that. Any ideas as to why it would run rich after all this?

post #2 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10R View Post
I modified the stock exhaust and removed the secondary butterflies. I removed the stock muffler and midpipe, and I'm just using an exhaust tip made from the midpipe, so the exhaust exit is right behind my heel and ending right before the swingarm. After doing the exhaust and butterfly removal mod my bike seems to still run rich. I expected it to be lean, as it was said removing the secondary butterflies would cause that. Any ideas as to why it would run rich after all this?
post #3 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
10R
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Well, thats the thing... I haven't ridden it in this condition yet or had it on a dyno or anything. I don't have a power commander yet, getting one this week, so i didn't want to ride it if I am wrong and it is actually running lean. What led me to believe it was rich though is that when running, the exhaust reaks of gas. Also, if you rev the engine a bit it will blow flames. I don't mean to sound like an idiot, and I'm sure many would say my exhaust mod was a moronic decision, but I like the look and sound. I don't wanna take a chance on running the bike in a foul condition and damaging the engine though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Well, thats the thing... I haven't ridden it in this condition yet or had it on a dyno or anything. I don't have a power commander yet, getting one this week, so i didn't want to ride it if I am wrong and it is actually running lean. What led me to believe it was rich though is that when running, the exhaust reaks of gas. Also, if you rev the engine a bit it will blow flames. I don't mean to sound like an idiot, and I'm sure many would say my exhaust mod was a moronic decision, but I like the look and sound. I don't wanna take a chance on running the bike in a foul condition and damaging the engine though.
im not expect but ya i would wait til you get the pc3 and get it sorted before you ride it, imho you may like the ehaust now, but after a while i bet your gonna get annoyed by it, as do most boz brothers exhaust owners, which is pretty much what you have now. if it doesnt then more power to you and watch out for cops
post #5 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
10R
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Ya, thanks man. I painted the pipe black and I think it looks pretty cool. We'll see if it gets on my nerves after a while though. I just can't imagine it smelling so bad and blowing flames if it was too lean? It's got me confused, but we'll see what the chart says after i get it mapped I guess.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Ya, thanks man. I painted the pipe black and I think it looks pretty cool. We'll see if it gets on my nerves after a while though. I just can't imagine it smelling so bad and blowing flames if it was too lean? It's got me confused, but we'll see what the chart says after i get it mapped I guess.
post up some pics
post #7 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
10R
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I will after I put the lower fairing back on. The paint is drying.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Could be your smog device allowing fresh air into your exhaust. Try this mod, http://youtube.com/watch?v=RIqSvXDb8GA. It worked great after I installed my Area P exhaust I had the same problem, did this mod and it stopped it.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
post #10 of 18 Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

You arent getting any reversion in the pipe anymore and with the cam overlap angles you have on a ZX10R you will lose power by losing fuel to exhaust.

Re Map to allow for the missing back pressure.

Last edited by FAF; 04-02-2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: modified to correct terminology
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in