Running gen 3 with gen 2 ecu? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 07-27-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Running gen 3 with gen 2 ecu?

Is this an easy thing to accomplish? From what I've been told it's as simple as swapping the ecu, cdi box, harness and TBs and that it but I'm really looking to find a thread. I'm asking about this because I'm trying to turbo and o ly use 4 I injectors I stead of 8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
No. Not easy. From what I know about the gen 3 vs gen 2 this would be a huge job. Requiring you to change the harness yes but I'm wondering if things like your crank pos sensor will interface properly even if you get everything wired up. It would basically require a modification/recalibration of nearly every single electrical component on the bike.

Would be easier to start with a gen 2.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-28-2019, 07:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

if you used a program like woolich, this lets you control the bias of injector balance....thus eliminate the top row.

This then gives you multilayering tuning also
SpazOnaZX likes this.

2004 ZX10R-few mods here and there......
and even made more Evil by Woolich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-29-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassjake View Post
if you used a program like woolich, this lets you control the bias of injector balance....thus eliminate the top row.

This then gives you multilayering tuning also
Can you give me more info about this "Woolich"?
post #5 of 23 Old 07-29-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasaki Brad View Post
No. Not easy. From what I know about the gen 3 vs gen 2 this would be a huge job. Requiring you to change the harness yes but I'm wondering if things like your crank pos sensor will interface properly even if you get everything wired up. It would basically require a modification/recalibration of nearly every single electrical component on the bike.

Would be easier to start with a gen 2.
You make it sound like changing 3 sensors over to the old ones from a gen 2 is hard lol. You also sound like a squid when it comes to modifications....working on a bike is super easy. You also used the term "but I'm wondering", meaning you dont know what you're talking about and kinds jist guessing with knowledge. That's not the type of I put I want. I want to hear from ppl who know what they're talking about from experience or knowledge. Thanks tho
post #6 of 23 Old 07-29-2019, 10:10 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeWayne View Post
You make it sound like changing 3 sensors over to the old ones from a gen 2 is hard lol. You also sound like a squid when it comes to modifications....working on a bike is super easy. You also used the term "but I'm wondering", meaning you dont know what you're talking about and kinds jist guessing with knowledge. That's not the type of I put I want. I want to hear from ppl who know what they're talking about from experience or knowledge. Thanks tho
Three sensors? Yeah, that's every electrical component. If it's so super easy why isn't it done already?

Squid? Like the guy asking the internet about how to do a downgrade ECU swap?

I've been riding since 1983, racing since 1989, and working the service department and parts counter at a dealership since 2008. But hey if that's not good enough for you then take that sanctimonious attitude and shove it up your tailpipe.
NinjaLife likes this.

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

BA Jake has the better solution there.... if you can use the Woolich software package to disable the upper injectors (or bias them all the way down to zero...), then you can use what you have. The thing is: you'll still need to tune the thing for boost.... how do you plan to do that? By the time you're done paying for third party software and piggy back hardware to get MAP reference fueling adjustments you will be in nearly as much money as a good stand alone.... never mind boost control hardware/software and proper datalogging.... and most stand alone systems come fully featured; no gotchya money upgrades for quick shifters, pit speed limiters, datalogging, etc.

The gen 3 is damn near the same bike to the gen 2. The crank, cam, stator, Reg/Rectifier, temp sensors are all the same. The relay box covers the same functions as well. IF (big if) you wanted to do an electronics swap from gen-to-gen the EASY way, you would need the Relay box, ECU, wiring harness, and throttle body(s) assembly, and there would likely be a bit of changing pigtail ends on random things at worst (such as the lights and fans and such). Someone who knows what they are doing could simply re-pin your existing harness to work with gen 2 ECU and throttle bodies, but I would consider that to be an advanced job for the average person, and requires a lot of thought. Sights like this one: https://www.corsa-technic.com/ sell most of the connector ends and pins for doing jobs like that. And after all that, you'd have to come up with the software and/or additional hardware to tune the new ECU set-up.

It's all easy to me at this point. AND it's still a huge job. Not a boast, just trying to give you the facts... it's easy to confuse complexity with difficulty. If you do half-ass/corner cutting/hokey adapting on a turbo conversion you are going to melt all sorts of stuff, over and over again, until you give up or end up doing it right.... ask me how I know. If that's the road you want to go down to learn, by all means do it; you'll never get any better knowledge than the hard earned type! :)
DeeWayne and gaz like this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 07-29-2019 at 11:44 AM.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-29-2019, 11:37 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeWayne View Post
Can you give me more info about this "Woolich"?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=woolich
thundercoupe9 and Boxtradamus like this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-29-2019, 11:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Switching to gen2 would be simple engine wise the only difference would be iat sensor and stator plug and your 3rd gen cluster will show fi light, you can get woolich, but it doesn't support boost so it would be useless on a turbo application. Like spaz said, the best bet would be to switch to a stand alone ecu, and you can keep your own harness/relay and have an ecu that can handle boost.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-30-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasaki Brad View Post
Three sensors? Yeah, that's every electrical component. If it's so super easy why isn't it done already?

Squid? Like the guy asking the internet about how to do a downgrade ECU swap?

I've been riding since 1983, racing since 1989, and working the service department and parts counter at a dealership since 2008. But hey if that's not good enough for you then take that sanctimonious attitude and shove it up your tailpipe.
Youd be swapping sensors, not whole electrical components and there are only a handful. And a Gen 2 ecu isnt a downgrade, it just uses less I injectors so it's easier to work it. You sound like an angry squid who's proving everything I said lol. Bye bye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in