Gen 1: 2004-2005 rod knock? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

rod knock?

im debating what all i need to do to correct a knock i felt in 75-100% throttle between 3-8k from asking around a bit and my own impression i feel likes it probably rod knock or piston slap.

THIS IS NOT CHAIN NOISE i am familiar with how they are noisy bikes and sound like tractors, etc this is a lower heaver noise its been a while since i rode the bike but i think it was posibly even felt a little. kinda felt like going wot on my old zx9r at low rpms and it would "burble"

any one have this problem and resolve it? all advice welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Are you sure it's a mechanical noise from inside the engine, and not intake noise? These bikes have a fair bit of both.

If it really is a rod knock then there ought to be other signs. Drain the engine oil and inspect it. Take the oil filter off and cut it apart. Copper-coloured metallic shrapnel to the extent that the oil looks like metallic paint? You've got issues. All looks normal? No problem.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

IF its rod knock the only fix is a complete rebuild of the motor. If its a gen 1 bike it could very well be the generator bushings are gone causing a knock sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

its hard to say where its coming from since its under a load only. i dont see how it could be intake noise its way to heavy or solid of a noise to be air noise.
how do i cut an oil filter without making a bunch of metal dust which will defeat the purpose of looking for metal in the filter?
the oil came out cleanish certainly not black metal flake like a ranger bass boat.
ill be checking the generator bushings i guess. and probably tearing the crank out tomorrow.

what is a complete rebuild entail? cant i do rod and crank bearings, rering and be done or is a crank ,rod and piston replacement the only solution? if i am looking at that i dont even want to tear down cause i cant afford that. ill just ride it till it pukes.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

If a rebuild is in your mind, crank and block would definitly go to the machine shop, rods if you want depending how they look
post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm having a similar issue. Did you ever find out what it was? I've heard so many different maybes from different sources. I took it to a race bike shop and he initially thought it was the values. All the valves were in spec and he said the chain was tight so it's something internal. He said it's cheaper just to get another motor drop and swap other that a rebuild. My bike is stock other than a pc3. Road racing for the past year on it. I'm kind of reluctant to just spend $1k+ on a motor than try the cheaper things first. What do y'all think?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Mine GEN1 have this knock, specially in idle.
Seens come form clutch, but is not...
I already replaced the CAM chain tensioner for a manual and still knocking...
If was the generator bushing, can I exchange?
What is the PN for this bushing?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Did you get this badboy fixed??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in