Gen 1: 2004-2005 Retrofit Bi-Xenon Projectors with installation - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Retrofit Bi-Xenon Projectors with installation

Sharing this little project I had done over the weekend.

I am by no means a professional and I had it all done within a saturday afternoon.

here are the improvements:

low beam stock:

high beam stock:

low beam retrofit:

high beam retrofit:

the difference is night and day! and i kept my stock adjusters so i can aim the projectors.

heres a list of the items i used in the retrofit:
morimotos H1 bixenon retrofit projectors
drill with 1" hole saw
55w HID slim digital AC ballasts
40A relay from ultrahid.com
soldering iron
18gauge wire from radioshack
patience

heres a pic of the projectors i used:

they fit into the stock housing without any modifications at all its a retrofit dream come true.

heres how to do it / i did it:
first step get the headlights off. remove all fairings (not explaining this except for one part)
this headless screw

needs to be unscrewed with a vice grip or other such tool. idk what kawasaki was thinking when they made that bolt... anywho after you get all the fairings removed (left and right upper and lowers and windscreen) remove the headlight.

you should have this... hopefully lol

once you have the headlight off the fun stuff begins.

first thing you need to do is to get into the headlight housing. to do this you need to place it in an oven. i placed it in my oven at 265F and let it bake for 6 minutes. once this is done you need to pry open the housing. there is a black silicone that should be pliable enough to seperate the housing. after that you should be left with this.

there are covers for the bulbs in the housing that control how much light is released. you need to remove these. to do so there are clips that these covers are held on by by the bulbs. pry these clips open and pull them out. your headlight housing should now look like this.

i decided i wanted to paint the reflectors and the projector shroud that came with the kit matte black

now we can begin installing the headlights. this step is surprisingly very easy. the kit comes with everything you'd need to install them. first take off the stock covers of the headlights that cover the bulb. then place the shrouds on the projectors. there are 4 screws that come with them and they line up with the holes on the projectors. i forgot to take a picture of this step but its pretty self explanatory.

next we will use the mounting hardware that came with the kit.

the install goes from left to right in the pic. the projector comes with the last piece (far right in the pic) installed already so remove that first. now you can place the white rubber washer onto the projector. then it is placed into the projector housing. there is a hole right next to the hole where the projector mounts in to, place the wiring for high beams from the projector through that hole. once the projector is through the hole, the h7 adapter plate is placed on top like so. will look like this from behind.

after the h7 adapter plate is on then you screw on the nut. screw this as tight as possible. this is what is holding your projector in place. then place the last mount with the 3 screws on. the last piece is what holds your bulb in place. there is a metal bracket that replaces the stock bulb bracket that i forgot to picture that is also included. you can place your bulb in now and put the metal bracket on. yours should look like this once all done.

heres a frontal view

now we can put the headlight housing back to one piece. put the whole housing back into the oven again 265F 6minutes. just mush them back together and make sure it clips back on together.

finished product:

now you need to drill holes in the stock bulb covers to allow the hid and highbeam wiring to go through it.

now comes the hardest part... the wiring.
for this im going to use the wiring diagram provided with the relay i purchased from ultrahid but i editted to what i actually received because it did not match the picture and it didnt work in its stock form.

heres what it says you receive:

heres what i received:

the projectors came with hid male plugs so i clipped off the male plug that was missing the ground and used the male plug that came with the projector. i then extended the ground wire that came with the relay so it could actually reach the battery and made a ground wire from the male plug i took from the retrofit package connecting to the ground wire that came with the relay. it looks something like this after i modified it:

heres what your wiring should look like once complete:

final step is tucking away the wires and your retrofit is completely installed!

i should add that the relay is so you do not fry your stock wiring harness. it bypasses the stock wiring and still allows the headlights to turn on only when the ignition is started

Last edited by adub; 07-03-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: relay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

some more pics

post #3 of 15 Old 07-03-2012, 01:26 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Good work! I left the reflectors in when doing my retrofit, but after seeing yours I wish I hadn't.

Ignorance is the enemy, let's set the record straight. If history must repeat itself, why worry while you wait?- Rodney Crowell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Very nice!
post #5 of 15 Old 07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

nice work
nothing like bixenon
heres my old setup before i went fighter

post #6 of 15 Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

damn the Gen 1 OEM lights are that bad?? Mine look like the upgraded version w/out the hids..

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..
post #7 of 15 Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blackpearl View Post
damn the gen 1 oem lights are that bad?? Mine look like the upgraded version w/out the hids..
sick ass frame where can i find moar pics
post #8 of 15 Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja10kid View Post
sick ass frame where can i find moar pics
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87343

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82063

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..
post #9 of 15 Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
great write up man. love the results both looks wise and functionality. im gonna do this myself so on the retrofit website you used this kit? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227 its the bi-xenon morimoto mini stage III kit (H1) right?? Also H7 adapter plate, which ballasts and bulbs did you use and which wiring harness? im guessing h7 harness?
post #10 of 15 Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmon012 View Post
great write up man. love the results both looks wise and functionality. im gonna do this myself so on the retrofit website you used this kit? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227 its the bi-xenon morimoto mini stage III kit (H1) right?? Also H7 adapter plate, which ballasts and bulbs did you use and which wiring harness? im guessing h7 harness?
i actually bought them off ebay its a lot cheaper (i got it for 105 shipped i believe) i also got my hid ballast off ebay (VVME Slim HID AC ballasts) and make sure to get h1 bulbs. as for the relay i got that from ultrahid.com because their relay requires power from stock headlight relay for the bulbs to get power (ie hid only powers on when bike is started) but i had to do some splicing to their harness to get it to work the way it was pictured. who knows maybe they just screwed up the harness they sent me idk. just make sure you get an h7 relay harness.

edit: im pretty sure all the harnesses are the same after looking at it actually lol just get the h7 to be sure

Last edited by adub; 07-31-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in