Gen 2: 2006-2007 Recomendations for Cylinder Prep/Repair - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 06-15-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Recomendations for Cylinder Prep/Repair

Ok folks, need some first hand advice or reviews if you have them. I want to repair a couple motors (2nd gen) I have laying around for some fresh turbo pistons, but they have a little damage (oh, how the boost gods sneer at our hubris with every adjustment of the boost controller). Who has had any experience with a block repair/re-plating place? A little googling pops up with US Chrome and Millennium Technologies as the top hits.... anyone had good results & service with either one of those places? Hit me with your stories! :)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I dealt with both of those Millenium i wont deal with again,not just a bad service 5 weeks over the claimed 2 but the coating was crap and only lasted a dyno session, they claimed i haven't cleaned the cylinders properly and won't re-coat them. US chrome at wisconsin iv used 3 times, first time dealing with a Guy called Ryan, first class real good coating and the pistons fitted superbly, the 2 other times they went well over there claimed turnaround by 3 & 5 weeks but the work has always been spot on. Millennium technologies in Canada are supposed to be better and im gonna try them next.
SpazOnaZX likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I always got great service from US Chrome. At least 1/2 th etiem, I had my cylinders back before their promise date. When I was riding my dirt bike, every weekend, I had actually memorized their address because of how many different cylinders I sent to them. The finish was always an upgrade, too.

When you have cylinders coated, keep in mind this finish is not a "chrome" finish like you would use on a car bumper. Its not unusual to see tiny imperfections, or odd colors, in the finish. I hate to even use the work, "imperfection" , its really not that, its just that its often times not a pretty finish.

Yours will probably look perfect, but dont freak out if its not.
SpazOnaZX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-16-2018, 10:28 AM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

better off buying a good set of used cases from my experience with millenium. last one i had repaired/replated had dropped a valve and dinged one cyl wall. no overbore, cost over $500 when they were done plus the wait time was too long. never could get a price quote, finally just a you're done and owe us this. wont do that again.
SpazOnaZX likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-16-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I thought I'd heard some Millennium horror stories before.... good to know I wasn't losing my mind.

I thought about getting some used cases, but I've never liked the idea of dropping in new pistons without honing to to proper PTW clearances.... I am hoping that US chrome can do that if they have pistons in hand with the block.

post #6 of 19 Old 06-20-2018, 04:56 AM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

When I was working to rebuild the BigCat, I called Millennium and they quoted me the same price to repair the cylinder as it would've been to bore out a new set.
SpazOnaZX and gaz like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
in reference to the man card issue, let me clarify it for everyone, " If a man builds a 1000 bridges and sucks one cock, that doesnt make him a bridge builder, it makes him a cock sucker..."
My bike is the fattest and slowest of all the G2s
post #7 of 19 Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 AM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

i just got a cyl back from carolina cycle who handled boring and plating a +3mm busa cylinder thru millenium. sent new cp pistons with exact measurements and specified .002 cyl/wall clereance. gen 2 +5 stroker engine at 1560 cc. piston wall clereance was .003, the industry safe standard on these motors. doesnt do any good to specify a certain clereance with millenium, you will get what u get.
SpazOnaZX and michael4012 like this.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Wassup BigCat! Long time, no see. :)

I love this place.... I remember hearing some not so good stuff about millenium, and ya'll likely saved me quite a bit of headache. I did call US Chrome, and they sound like decent peoples; I'm going to give them a try. Their pricing is pretty transparent, and they said they'll give AMA member and 'Sanctioned Racer' discounts, so that's a plus.

Now I just need to find a set of low compression turbo pistons for 04-10 bike.... no one is showing any in stock! :(

post #9 of 19 Old 06-20-2018, 01:46 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Hit me up if you need 2nd gen cases, and i got some pistons, they're in my 1st gen cases unfortunately.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-20-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

What sort of pistons? I don't want you to break up your first gen motor if that's the one you already had running, though.

I really want to have a fresh, to-tolerance hone this time around. When I did 'Drop In' MTC pistons on the last motor without a replate & hone they were noisy little bastards... piston slap on start up had me thinking I fucked up on the rod bearing colors. :( I know it's not a huge deal, but every bit is starting to count... and not having it in the back of my mind in 5th gear is worth the extra money.
michael4012 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in