rear shock spring questions - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-11-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

rear shock spring questions

first question: Are ohlin springs compatible with penske shocks? (i believe they are but wanna confirm this)
second question: How do i figure out what number to look for if i need a spring for 160lb rider? (i have a spring on my shock but dont know what weight its sprung for as i have looked all over the spring and couldnt find it anywhere including the very bottom.) Ive been looking at other springs and they have 8.0 and stuff like that but its greek to me.

Marchesini Magnesiums,Nassert beet,kawi cam,.45 headgasket,DJ PC/Ig.M/QS,velocity stacks,bmc race,gipro,sato rearsets,helibars,throttlemeisters,pazzo shorties,speedohealer,520 renthal sprockets,penske 8393 double clicker,traxxion dynamic springs,scotts stabilizer,lsl frame sliders,cox radiator guard,powerbronze hugger,puig DB,solo seat cover,Valentine1,dual low beam projectors,55w.hids, brembo superbike rotors,Goodridge superbike lines,nissin calipers and rizoma mirrors,mda123 battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
The 8.0 you mention will be the spring rate, in kilgorams per mm ; that is, for each 8kg of force applied, the spring will compress by 1 mm.this equates to around 448 pounds per inch. The conversion rate is a.56 ; that is, kg permm times 56 = pounds per inch.

Cheers,
Brian

Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading.
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow.
Just piss off and leave me alone.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks for the info brian.

Marchesini Magnesiums,Nassert beet,kawi cam,.45 headgasket,DJ PC/Ig.M/QS,velocity stacks,bmc race,gipro,sato rearsets,helibars,throttlemeisters,pazzo shorties,speedohealer,520 renthal sprockets,penske 8393 double clicker,traxxion dynamic springs,scotts stabilizer,lsl frame sliders,cox radiator guard,powerbronze hugger,puig DB,solo seat cover,Valentine1,dual low beam projectors,55w.hids, brembo superbike rotors,Goodridge superbike lines,nissin calipers and rizoma mirrors,mda123 battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
No worries mate, sorry I can't help on the compatibility. Spring weight is heavily dependent on your own weight, but also on intended use ; as an example, I weigh around around 215 pounds at the moment (fat bastard !) and use a 9.5 kg/mm on the track. I'm told that may not be heavy enough, but as i prefer a sift spring it seems to work well for me.

All the best,
Brian

post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman43 View Post
No worries mate, sorry I can't help on the compatibility. Spring weight is heavily dependent on your own weight, but also on intended use ; as an example, I weigh around around 215 pounds at the moment (fat bastard !) and use a 9.5 kg/mm on the track. I'm told that may not be heavy enough, but as i prefer a sift spring it seems to work well for me.

All the best,
Brian
I found what i was looking for brian. I was looking for a spring calculator and found it here.http://www.racetech.com/evalving/Spr...pringType=Fork

post #6 of 6 Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt ninja View Post
I found what i was looking for brian. I was looking for a spring calculator and found it here.http://www.racetech.com/evalving/Spr...pringType=Fork
Great thanks, I knew I'd seen one somewhere previously :)

Cheers,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in