rear rotor bolts Marchesini- again :( - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
jcw
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

rear rotor bolts Marchesini- again :(

so what's the deal with the rear rotor bolts on the Marchesini wheels?

I searched and searched and found JJ and garth's posts re the front wheel fitment. Looks like a M8 (1.25) x 24 with a 10mm shoulder 5mm shoulder length works. Honda's rear rotor bolts will fit as will the rear set bolts. I'll be able to use the Ti bolts for Honda's rear.

But I think JJ said that he stripped one of the rear bolt holes cause the shoulder of the stock bolt is a little too long for the hole machined in the wheel.

My confidence in and impression of Marchesini just took a nose dive.
PVM's and Magtans only for me in the future.

Anyone have a source or specs for the rear rotor bolts???

Tastynuts.com has a list of rotor bolts that may help.
I called Yoyodyne and they weren't sure what to use in back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

I wound up using the shorter bolts out of the foot pegs and rear sets off the 2007 model for the rear rotor. Same bolt as rotor bolt but shorter.

Yoyo Titanium bolts had longer shoulder, not good. The foot-peg and rear set bolts off the 2008 model are longer than the rear footpeg rear set bolts off the 2006-2007 model. Not sure what length the 2004 has. You might try and see if the rear passenger pegs and your rear sets have the correct length of the 4 bolts you need. Then use the longer rotor bolts out of the stock wheel in their holes.

Be careful when tightening them up and make sure they are not bottomed out before tightening. I also put nylon locknuts on the 4 rear rotor bolts only. Mainly because I stripped one of the holes using the Yoyodyne TI bolts and was not being careful.

For GAWD SAKES, whatever you do, do not tighten those 4 rear rotor bolts until you are sure about it.

The reason you need shorter rotor bolts for the rear is the bolt length will hit the back side of the hub if you do not and will not tighten up

Post back if you need anything else. I may even have the 4 short stock bolts extra laying around. No Kawi dealer stocks them, though they can get them in a few days normally.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

I also have a 2007 (2008?) issue of Motorcyclist, called modding gone mad. They also complain about the rear Marchesini rear rotor bolts and the counterbores not really being deep enough on the rear wheel brake rotor mount. I can probably scan and post that section later tonight. I was pissed as that article came about 3 days after I stripped one of the holes in the rear rotor mount trying to use KAWASAKI spec titanium rotor bolts which actually had longer shoulders. I later bought another rotor mount, (only 46 dollars but took 9 weeks to get) but sold it as I was OK with the bolts having the nylon lock nuts on the back anyway and was planning on selling the bike with the wheels on it, which I did.

No more Marchesini and NO MORE BST wheels for me either. Damn BST to hell also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
jcw
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMavis View Post
I also have a 2007 (2008?) issue of Motorcyclist, called modding gone mad. They also complain about the rear Marchesini rear rotor bolts and the counterbores not really being deep enough on the rear wheel brake rotor mount. I can probably scan and post that section later tonight. I was pissed as that article came about 3 days after I stripped one of the holes in the rear rotor mount trying to use KAWASAKI spec titanium rotor bolts which actually had longer shoulders. I later bought another rotor mount, (only 46 dollars but took 9 weeks to get) but sold it as I was OK with the bolts having the nylon lock nuts on the back anyway and was planning on selling the bike with the wheels on it, which I did.

No more Marchesini and NO MORE BST wheels for me either. Damn BST to hell also.
What happened with BST??? I know garth's issues, but I hadn't heard about yours.

I have that Motorcyclist article. Thanks. What I can't figure out is that if the rearset bolts have the same shoulder length, how they would be ok???

Here's JJ's pic of the rearset bolt vs the rotor bolts...

Here's JJ's pic of Yoyodyne's bolt (can I assume this is the kawaski replacement rotor bolt from yoyodyne?)

Here's JJ's pic of the front bolt clearance issue

I'll dig through the spare bolts and look for the rearsets bolts today.

Thanks again. I cannot believe there isn't more traffic regarding this on the internet forums.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
jcw
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I found a set of bolts with the 10mm shoulder and the shorter thread length, but the head diameter is too small. Maybe the bolts for the 04-05 are different from the 06-. They would work fine for the front rotors, but the rear rotors are countersunk to also fit the head of the screw/bolt.

One thing is for sure, the shoulder length is still TOO long and doesn't hold the rotor to the wheel. Marchesini, you suck...

Last edited by jcw; 08-02-2010 at 05:51 PM.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 06:11 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw View Post
What happened with BST??? I know garth's issues, but I hadn't heard about yours.

I have that Motorcyclist article. Thanks. What I can't figure out is that if the rearset bolts have the same shoulder length, how they would be ok???

Here's JJ's pic of Yoyodyne's bolt (can I assume this is the kawaski replacement rotor bolt from yoyodyne?)

Thanks again. I cannot believe there isn't more traffic regarding this on the internet forums.
Yes, do tell indeed, you have been one of their biggest supporters. I still love mine,

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #7 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 06:50 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

subscribed

FULLY LOADED :)
post #8 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw View Post

As you can easily see from the pics you posted the Yoyodyne Titanium Kawasaki spec rotor bolt has a much longer shoulder than the stock Kawasaki rotor bolt. Thus it bottoms out in the Marche rear wheel rotor counterbore and caused me to strip one thread in the black rotor mount before I realized what I did. If used on a STOCK wheel the Yoyodyne Titanium bolt would have worked OK, no problem. Thats the fun of modding.

Those Kawasaki spec Yoyodyne Titanium bolts work OK with the stock wheels, just not Marches. I should have been more careful to be honest.

The stock rotor bolts shoulder seems OK, but the bolt itself is to long and bottoms out against the hub as one of the pics shows.

You need to cut the stock rotor bolts over all length shorter or get the shorter ones from the 2007 passenger pegs / rear sets.

Yes I agree, Marches suck, and BST suck. I will never own either again.

Gonna see if I can find me some JB Magtan, somewhere, Japan, eBay, Wera forums. Im on the hunt because I am missing good riding weather while my bikes sits with wheels I am too scared to ride on.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 07:16 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Here is a better explanation of the different bolts.

Bolt A is the shorter bolt that comes on the 2006-2007 ZX10R as used in the passenger pegs and holds the rearsets on. It is shorter than the brake rotor bolts, but otherwise the same bolt.

Bolt B is the longer bolt used on the passenger pegs and rearsets on the 2008+ model. Why it gets longer bolts I dont know, but they are also the same length as the stock brake rotor bolts, same bolts, but different part # because the brake rotor bolts come stock with loctitie on them. Thats why I guess they have a different part #.

Bolt C is the Yoyodyne Titanium bolt Kawasaki spec. You notice it has the longer shoulder that is a problem when used on Marchesini wheels, but not on stock wheels.

Bolt D is the same as Bolt B.

So you can get the shorter bolts (bolt A) or cut the stockers shorter.

I do not know if the 04-05 passenger pegs / rearset bolts are like the shorter bolt A or longer B. I don't know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-077F.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	133173   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-073F.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	133174  
post #10 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Just cut the bolt down, yeesh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in