Rear ride height - big deal? Other key adjustments? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Rear ride height - big deal? Other key adjustments?

I'm curious as to other peoples results with afttermarket shocks on the '08 ZX10, or those that have shimmed the rear as to what the results were. Did it help with transitions into corners or compromise stability on braking?

Have you done anything else to help the transitioning such as a gel battery etc.?

I'm just trying to shortcut my setting up time so I can spend my track time fine tuning instead of huge adjustments.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cocky Rooster; 07-11-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I set my Ohlins shock 2.5mm longer than stock, but only to acheive an average 12.5 degree swing arm angle. You don't want to raise the rear ride height and exceed 13 degrees of swing arm angle or you will cause the rear end to rise on excelleration. Check out OnTheTrottle.com and serch for the show on shock springs. Dave Moss talked about this on that show. I also have my forks raised in the triple clamps 3mm, but this is for the larger circuference tire.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

After 2 years of messing with the set-up i have not found the perfect set-up, however I have raised the rear 5mm and moved the rear axel back about another 5mm from the factory set point with sprocket swap. Quick side to side transitioning is a workout on the 3rd gen. I have issues with pushing on exit on long fast corners but like my set-up everywhere else. After having the suspension freshened up I set my sag front and rear around 30mm from around 25mm. I have yet to put in some laps since. I'm hoping a little more squat will help with pushing on exit. Good luck

GEN 4: Brembo HP calipers, Brembo HP T-Drive Rotors, Brembo RCS master cylinder, Fren Tubo SS lines, re-valved Ohlins damper, Ohlins TTX shock, Yoshimura case covers/frame sliders, Yoshimura 3/4 R77D Ti exhaust, BMC filter, Puig DB, Renthal Clip ons/sprockets, attack rearsets, Guhl flash, kawi kit throttle, Ballistic EVO2 8 cell, Annitori RL quick shifter, Dunlop rubber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

That's excellent and helpful info. Awesome.

Has anyone tried offset triple clamps with any success?

Last edited by Cocky Rooster; 07-09-2010 at 02:40 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

ZX10Racer adjusts and plays with his setup the most I think. He has a few threads on suspension and ride height. I'll try and find the links, if he doesnt post shoot him a PM. I never have riden with or seen him ride but he has a great understanding of how he rides and how he sets up his ride.

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89450

GEN 4: Brembo HP calipers, Brembo HP T-Drive Rotors, Brembo RCS master cylinder, Fren Tubo SS lines, re-valved Ohlins damper, Ohlins TTX shock, Yoshimura case covers/frame sliders, Yoshimura 3/4 R77D Ti exhaust, BMC filter, Puig DB, Renthal Clip ons/sprockets, attack rearsets, Guhl flash, kawi kit throttle, Ballistic EVO2 8 cell, Annitori RL quick shifter, Dunlop rubber.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a Ohlins shock and just learning about sag, free sag, etc...

I've been watching Dave Moss vids but I don't have a extra person to measure while I'm sitting on the bike. So how do you guys measure without another person around? It's why you state degrees? How do you measure degrees? Sorry if I'm hijacking Cocky Rooster but I'm kind of in the same boat. I want to know how to set my bike up!!! lol.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 03:59 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullinax95 View Post
I have a Ohlins shock and just learning about sag, free sag, etc...

I've been watching Dave Moss vids but I don't have a extra person to measure while I'm sitting on the bike. So how do you guys measure without another person around? It's why you state degrees? How do you measure degrees? Sorry if I'm hijacking Cocky Rooster but I'm kind of in the same boat. I want to know how to set my bike up!!! lol.
I dont measure, I have Moss do it ride height adjusted with shock removed and axel after gearing change. In other words go to a track day and get it set by a suspension vendor or buy your smartest friend a six pack and take him out to your garage and have him help you.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

rear ride height and geometry has a huge effect on the 10's stability. I'm no expert but I have found the best setup for my style, and I start with getting the front sorted decently for the way I ride and then dont touch it. I have the front forks flush with the top of the triples with almost no preload. I am using stock untouched forks and I weigh 160, so this gives me a good amount of sag. I stiffen it up with more compression and rebound damping.

I make most adjustments to the rear. for starters the rear axle is set to the center of the adjustment with a 40 tooth sprocket. for the shock, I have a bitubo xxf31 with ride height adjustability and best of all hydraulic preload. the cool thing with this is that you can get ride height in the ballpark with the height adjuster (instead of shims) and then fine tune the height further at the track with preload without taking a spanner wrench with you. the preload adjuster is just a twist knob. I add preload (raise rear) until it becomes somewhat unstable in a corner and then reduce preload a small amount (lower rear). it takes surprisingly little adjustment to make huge changes.

my next move will be to change springs and internals on the stock forks because compared to the shock, the front feels pretty numb. it works ok, but it doesnt give the best feel. with the rear rebound damping set low I can accelerate all day long sideways on the rear tire with very little squat and it will hold a line amazingly well. it is an unbelievable feeling with this shock and a 190/55, feels like you have acres of contact patch underneath. if you have the stock shock I highly recommend dumping it.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

What year bike do you have? I have an 04 and I lowered the front 4mm and swapped the rear shock linkage and dogbones with one from an 05 636 which made a huge difference for better!!

post #10 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDLYN13000 View Post
What year bike do you have? I have an 04 and I lowered the front 4mm and swapped the rear shock linkage and dogbones with one from an 05 636 which made a huge difference for better!!
2005 with stock linkage and dogbones. I have read about the linkage mod, I might change this but for now I'm happy with the rear setup! maybe after I change the front. for now, I love this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in