race tech gold valve install ???'s - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

race tech gold valve install ???'s

ok, I just received my race tech gold valve and spring kit. I have a spare set of forks so I took 1 apart and Im a bit lost, it all makes sense but Im not exactly sure what goes where and could use some help. I checked the service manual and some diagrams but nothing seems to give a good rundown on what to do. I found a how to on another forum but obviously it was a different bike and wasnt the same style of fork either. If anyone has some expertise in this subject Id greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 07:10 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you just doing the comp valves or both? The comp valves are super easy change, provided you have the tools to get to the cartridge.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG76 View Post
Are you just doing the comp valves or both? The comp valves are super easy change, provided you have the tools to get to the cartridge.
I thought I was doing the compression but I just seen they sent me the rebound. Possibly where my confusion is coming from. I have no problem getting at the cartridge, theres just a lot of washers and such I dont want to put in the wrong spot.

Well it looks like I have to remove the compression valve to get at the rebound anyways so whats a good way to get the rebound valve out of there??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by flthy1 View Post
I thought I was doing the compression but I just seen they sent me the rebound. Possibly where my confusion is coming from. I have no problem getting at the cartridge, theres just a lot of washers and such I dont want to put in the wrong spot.

Well it looks like I have to remove the compression valve to get at the rebound anyways so whats a good way to get the rebound valve out of there??
I need to have a look at the manual.... But in general there are two ways, unscrew the top of the cartridge or remove the bottom out cone from the rebound rod then slide the whole works out the bottom. The first is best because you don't lose the bottom out and you don't run the risk of bending the rebound rod. You really need some tools like a vice with non maring jaws, lead works well for this. The pros have wrenches that fit the cutouts at the top of the cartridge, you will have to improvise this, use some heat too.
Next step is to remove the rebound valve. This one, unlike the compression valve is often has peening over the nut. I used a Dremel and a disk to shave the peening off, pretty simple from then on.
I have all the tools and I sent mine to GP Suspension lol!
post #5 of 6 Old 04-13-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG76 View Post
I need to have a look at the manual.... But in general there are two ways, unscrew the top of the cartridge or remove the bottom out cone from the rebound rod then slide the whole works out the bottom. The first is best because you don't lose the bottom out and you don't run the risk of bending the rebound rod. You really need some tools like a vice with non maring jaws, lead works well for this. The pros have wrenches that fit the cutouts at the top of the cartridge, you will have to improvise this, use some heat too.
Next step is to remove the rebound valve. This one, unlike the compression valve is often has peening over the nut. I used a Dremel and a disk to shave the peening off, pretty simple from then on.
I have all the tools and I sent mine to GP Suspension lol!
The manual wasnt much help. I did a bunch of searching on line and found some good info on a vfr forum.

What is a peening though? I read about that elsewhere but there were no pics to clarify. Once I got in there everything came apart just fine and it seems pretty straight forward. Just waiting on the compression valves to come in and I'll be ready to go!!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

More that likely your talking about the threads on the compression stack being peened so the nut won't come off. This is done by the factory. The compression stack threads are made out of aluminum. You just file the threads flat to the surface of the nut, to remove peening. Want you don't want to do is damage the aluminum threads when you take the nut off. So loosen nut 1/4 turn. Then lightly tighten the nut back up. Now file that last bit of penned thread off. Then loosen 1/2 turn and lightly tighten back up and file again.You get the idea. Do that a couple of times till the nut turns off easily. Bevel the edge of the threads after you get the nut off. They give you a new nut for reassembly.
Use some carb cleaner and a air hose to get the compression stack spotless before you reassemble with your new valving. Then use Loctite blue to keep the nut tight....Race tech usally gives you a dvd on how to do this with there kits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in