3Likes
  • 2 Post By michael4012
  • 1 Post By Nfamous60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-25-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Race fuel selection

Wanted to get some feedback on race fuel to run in my zx10. Because my competitor uses THIS forum i believe going to keep some spec hidden lol. But compression is going to be set to 13.8 to 14.0 :1. Cams headwork gasket exhaust and tuning on woolich. Not spraying nitrous but thinking bout tuning for C16 Q16 or MRX01 and thoughts or experience?. Racing would be 1mile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-26-2018, 08:17 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Q16 supersedes C16 I believe, in terms of being able to make more power. It's a very popular drag racing fuel. It's safe to let sit in your tank too. Only con is it's almost only good when boosting/spraying. For non-stray applications your MRX01/02 might be your best bet. It's heavier on the pockets but if you can't make any power on the Q then what's the point, right? The Q16/C16 fuels have a really high octane so it's probably harder on the engine if your tune is off I'd imagine. I wouldn't neglect MR12 either... it's pretty easy on the engine. It just gums the hell outta the injectors and pump if you don't flush it before the bike sits. You could also tune for E85... just another fuel you don't want to leave in the system though, it does slowwwly deteriorate the pump.

Try out the MRX first I'd say.. Probably better to wait to hear from someone who actually drags though vs someone like me who just has friends that do..

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 10-26-2018 at 08:23 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
Q16 supersedes C16 I believe, in terms of being able to make more power. It's a very popular drag racing fuel. It's safe to let sit in your tank too. Only con is it's almost only good when boosting/spraying. For non-stray applications your MRX01/02 might be your best bet. It's heavier on the pockets but if you can't make any power on the Q then what's the point, right? The Q16/C16 fuels have a really high octane so it's probably harder on the engine if your tune is off I'd imagine. I wouldn't neglect MR12 either... it's pretty easy on the engine. It just gums the hell outta the injectors and pump if you don't flush it before the bike sits. You could also tune for E85... just another fuel you don't want to leave in the system though, it does slowwwly deteriorate the pump.

Try out the MRX first I'd say.. Probably better to wait to hear from someone who actually drags though vs someone like me who just has friends that do..
Thanks appreciate it, was told due to MR12 low octane and my compression to kinda stay away from MR12 i use to run it before. I agree with the Q16 comment not sure I'd be able to get full potential of that. MY L map is already set for E85. MY F map is pump with timing pulled incase i just want to ride around town a bit. My M map is what im focusing on for race map think MRX02 has lower octane than MRX01 not to sure but def good point of view thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2018, 10:32 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I've got problems running E85, mines set to the M mode. Is there any particular dash settings you gotta set to run it? I'm getting RPM cutout at like 10K... not sure if it's a power-mode/ECU thing or what.

When in doubt... send it!
post #5 of 10 Old 10-26-2018, 01:16 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

C16 would be a no-go... that's something you want to use with boost/high IAT's. Great octane, but needs a lot of cylinder pressure to make it work well. Q16 is oxygenated and will likely give an increased when tuned, but it is also something that would be better for higher cylinder pressures (boost). All that said, people report back that it works well across the board for just about any application. That probably has a lot to do with it being oxygenated more than anything else.

If you don't want to try MR12, MRX02 is pretty good stuff. Look at U4.4 too... the performance of that fuel is damn good, super close to the MRX stuff, but it costs a lot less. It has a touch more octane, but is still in that oxygenated/leaded category. It really depends on how much octane you need for your set-up.... and how much timing you're willing to throw at it. People get away with MR12 (87 MON) on 13.5:1 set-ups, so 103 MON of U4.4 may be a bit much for a 14:1 build... I think MRX is in the 100 MON range. Regardless, it's all in the tuning/timing/dynamic compression. you may not be able to run as much advance with something like MR12, but it's oxygen content and the way it burns can make up the difference, and then some if you're fortunate.

Smart thing to do would be to get a pail of each and tune it out on the dyno... see which one does it for you. :)

EDIT: MS109 is in that crew too, but I don't know much about that one. It lists as unleaded though, which is a bonus for O2 sensor life. :)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 10-26-2018 at 01:23 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-26-2018, 04:26 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I run mr12 at the track with head cam package never had problem. Good stuff!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-27-2018, 12:58 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Im not sure why people think traditional race fuel MR12 is gonna be a problem with high compression, its designed for "race engines" a typical tune on MR12 requires 0 ignition advance.
theatiss and gaz like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-27-2018, 10:40 AM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
I ran MR12 in my built R6 636cc motor...no issues, the high levels of oxygenation make up for the lower octane rating.

Personally I use VP Racing U4.4, its $90 per can and is the best of both worlds in my opinion. Decent levels of oxygenation and 105 octane. I use about 7-8 gallons in a typical trackday, so yes it's expensive but for my racebike, I don't want to use cheap pump gas. My Gen5 is putting out over 200hp at the wheel with a full Hindle, MWR filter and a tune. Can't ask for more!

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"There’s a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #9 of 10 Old 10-27-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
I've got problems running E85, mines set to the M mode. Is there any particular dash settings you gotta set to run it? I'm getting RPM cutout at like 10K... not sure if it's a power-mode/ECU thing or what.
Are you tuned for e85?
post #10 of 10 Old 10-27-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
C16 would be a no-go... that's something you want to use with boost/high IAT's. Great octane, but needs a lot of cylinder pressure to make it work well. Q16 is oxygenated and will likely give an increased when tuned, but it is also something that would be better for higher cylinder pressures (boost). All that said, people report back that it works well across the board for just about any application. That probably has a lot to do with it being oxygenated more than anything else.

If you don't want to try MR12, MRX02 is pretty good stuff. Look at U4.4 too... the performance of that fuel is damn good, super close to the MRX stuff, but it costs a lot less. It has a touch more octane, but is still in that oxygenated/leaded category. It really depends on how much octane you need for your set-up.... and how much timing you're willing to throw at it. People get away with MR12 (87 MON) on 13.5:1 set-ups, so 103 MON of U4.4 may be a bit much for a 14:1 build... I think MRX is in the 100 MON range. Regardless, it's all in the tuning/timing/dynamic compression. you may not be able to run as much advance with something like MR12, but it's oxygen content and the way it burns can make up the difference, and then some if you're fortunate.

Smart thing to do would be to get a pail of each and tune it out on the dyno... see which one does it for you. 🙂

EDIT: MS109 is in that crew too, but I don't know much about that one. It lists as unleaded though, which is a bonus for O2 sensor life. :)
your right thank you so much found a vp dealer here who sells by gallon Judy going to tune the diff ones expensive for dyno time but atleawon't have pails of fuel i won't usest
SpazOnaZX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in