Quick Shifter by Power Commander - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quick Shifter by Power Commander

I'm looking for some input on the Quick Shifter accessory for the Power Commander. I understand it momentarily kills the spark so you can just shift into the next gear at full throttle. It unloads the gears like blipping the throttle but less brainwork. Am I correct on it's operation? I want to use this for the street and dragstrip, I'm not ready to install an air tank on the bike for an air shifter.
I wonder how close you can dial it in for smooth shifts without backfiring and how you like the product, where you got it and how much it cost?

Thanks for your help,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 06:33 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to crispin
I think mykel has one on his bike.

I don't know anything about it.

Sounds like a feature for drag racing.

ya ya ya...
post #3 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 06:47 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

The quick shifter works great. I had the Muzzy air shifter on my 12 and feel this works every bit as well. Only difference is you load the shifter with your foot. Hit the button and it slips right into gear. The ignition kill is adjustable for duration just like with an air shifter kit. The great thing is no cutting into the wiring harness. I've reduced the kill duration to 55ms and have no backfires and shifts are completed smoothly w/ no missed shifts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 07:24 AM

Posting Frequency

Quick shifter

MPSracng.com makes something very similar to this product. I've used it first hand as well as many air shifter systems. It works the same way as the power commander but without the button. Just shift the bike and it has a switch that senses you shifting and kills the bike a micro-second and unloads the motor.
Works great and has adj. kill time also! Pretty simple set-up. Talk to Dale Walker at MPSracing.com and he will give you the 411. Good luck! Recon
post #5 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

i have the version that goes onto your shift rod. i love it. i had to remove it because i bought some rear sets. i do not have the thevcorrect linkage to put it back on. with this version there is no button just shift. i may have to get rid of it if i can not get it to work with my rear sets. let me know if you want to buy it. i had it for 1 month.
post #6 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 09:24 AM
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsup
i have the version that goes onto your shift rod. i love it. i had to remove it because i bought some rear sets. i do not have the thevcorrect linkage to put it back on. with this version there is no button just shift. i may have to get rid of it if i can not get it to work with my rear sets. let me know if you want to buy it. i had it for 1 month.
I'm thinking of getting the same system. I have Sato rearsets. The way my rearsets are positioned. It looks like it will only work with GP shift pattern

post #7 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 11:04 AM

Posting Frequency

The setup works incredibly well. It can be made to work with any rearsets by using the different shift rod combinations that are available. If you are using any kind of rearsets, the best option is to order the complete kits and then play with different combos to make it work. Best of luck.
post #8 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 12:27 PM

Posting Frequency

Can you down shift with this?
I had an older electric shift that I could never tune to work properly...so I ditched it for $30.
post #9 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by miykl
The quick shifter works great. I had the Muzzy air shifter on my 12 and feel this works every bit as well. Only difference is you load the shifter with your foot. Hit the button and it slips right into gear. The ignition kill is adjustable for duration just like with an air shifter kit. The great thing is no cutting into the wiring harness. I've reduced the kill duration to 55ms and have no backfires and shifts are completed smoothly w/ no missed shifts.
miykl,
Thanks for the info. I have Gilles rear sets, I would have to check for compatibility. I didn't know you had to hit a button, I thought you could simply just "arm" it and shift at will.

Mike
post #10 of 43 Old 01-03-2005, 12:31 PM

Posting Frequency

Down shifting is exactly the same as stock. All this does is interrupt the fuel and ignition for a prespecified amount of time so that it unloads the transmission gears enough to allow them to slide in to the next gear. It is exactly the same as backing off the throttle, but works much faster and also eliminates upsetting the chassis with abrupt throttle changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in