Question when setting Sag - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 168
Posting Frequency
 
Question when setting Sag

Do I turn out (softest) both compression and rebound?

Or just leave factory settings?

Thank you
taxsux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Track Day Rider
 
zx10forme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 175
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
  
When setting sag just adjust the spring preload
zx10forme is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 168
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10forme View Post
When setting sag just adjust the spring preload
I know that dude. Lol

But when I get the measurements like the rider and static sag, do I turn out all the rebound and compression to softest.
taxsux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Track Day Rider
 
zx10forme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 175
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
  
Hey guy, sorry I goofed lol . The other settings are something you should adjust by tiny amounts,then ride,adjust,ride. First remove all weight from the forks.Take measurement. sit on bike ,take measurement.adjust for approx 25- 30 mm of movement.
zx10forme is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 AM
WSB Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 609
Posting Frequency
  
Sag is not impacted by rebound or compression settings. You do need to "bounce" the bike a little to make sure you are getting an accurate reading and some believe softening the settings help get a better reading, but it is not needed. It's not going to hurt either way.
TN10R is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 AM
GP Rider
 
fireman69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,606
Posting Frequency
    
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN10R View Post
Sag is not impacted by rebound or compression settings. You do need to "bounce" the bike a little to make sure you are getting an accurate reading and some believe softening the settings help get a better reading, but it is not needed. It's not going to hurt either way.
Very true. Do not worry about your Comp or Rebound settings, worry only about your preload adjustment. You will probably notice while setting up your bike that you will not get "perfect" static sag #'s AND rider sag #'s. you will be able to get one or the other. Don't sweat it, just get it as close as you can and ride it.

good luck
fireman69 is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 168
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10forme View Post
Hey guy, sorry I goofed lol . The other settings are something you should adjust by tiny amounts,then ride,adjust,ride. First remove all weight from the forks.Take measurement. sit on bike ,take measurement.adjust for approx 25- 30 mm of movement.
Hahaha cheers man.


Ok guys, thanks. The stock 2005 rear shock is very stiff for my weight.. Time to invest on some Penske's I think.
taxsux is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 02:00 PM
WSB Rider
 
Bigprfed22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 781
Posting Frequency
Images: 93
  
Another thing you can do which i do is dynamic average, measure initial travel(wheel extended) then sit on it with your gear.

Have someone hold you straight and one person taking the measurement. The person measuring should compress the shock and slowly let it up then measure.

Then the person measuring should lift the subframe extending the the shock then letting it down slowly, all this with you still on the bike.

Average the compressed measurement and the lifted measurement and subtract from the initial travel measurement.


"Bs stops when the green flag drops"
Bigprfed22 is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 PM
GP Rider
 
fireman69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,606
Posting Frequency
    
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22 View Post
Another thing you can do which i do is dynamic average, measure initial travel(wheel extended) then sit on it with your gear.

Have someone hold you straight and one person taking the measurement. The person measuring should compress the shock and slowly let it up then measure.

Then the person measuring should lift the subframe extending the the shock then letting it down slowly, all this with you still on the bike.

Average the compressed measurement and the lifted measurement and subtract from the initial travel measurement.
Your talking about measureing the stiction within the suspension. This is a great idea, but if your looking for a basic sag setup for street riding or the occasional track day, you will be very close without it.

Max Mcallister from traxxion dynamics preaches this type of setup BTW
fireman69 is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
WSB Rider
 
Bigprfed22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 781
Posting Frequency
Images: 93
  
I thought stiction but i wasn't sure, touche.


"Bs stops when the green flag drops"
Bigprfed22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear set setting question Bigprfed22 Performance and Tech 2 07-02-2008 01:29 PM
Setting up new ZX-14 AK10R ZX-14 Discussion 31 06-18-2007 11:44 AM
suspension setting question S.ga.rider The ZX-10R 6 06-01-2006 11:56 AM
Another suspension setting question! Please help!!! Chaz The ZX-10R 2 04-13-2005 07:54 PM
Setting Sag TLR2ZX10 The ZX-10R 5 07-28-2004 02:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome