the quest for new braking power on a gen1- advice welcome! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

the quest for new braking power on a gen1- advice welcome!

Hey all. I've exhausted the search button on this topic, and read through nearly 3 or 4 pages of threads on every related topic i could find. just wanted to share what's going on with my bike and see if anybody could offer some insight/advice on problems i may face, or other options i may have not considered at this point.

I've slowly been turning my 05 ten into a track monster with as much top end stuff as i can afford over time. I've gone through the standard run of the mill power mods (full system, custom maps for the PC3,TRE,blah blah blah), then i was on to suspension (GMD and ohlins are my new favorite people), and the bike has become so powerful now on the track that during my last race i finally experienced more brake fade than i was comfortable with, and it seriously messed up all my braking markers and reference points in the middle of the track weekend...needless to say, i missed a few and was introduced to the gravel traps again (and one oh sh*& experience coming off a banked straight in 5th and holding on for dear life on the grass, thank the lord for there being over 90 yards of runoff area and somehow helping me keep it up when i swore on everything i was going down).

so this has been my braking setup until now:

Stock 05 calipers
stock 05 rotors
goodridge SS lines (04/05)
silkolene fluid
DP HH+ pads
05/06 636 radial master cyl.

I also noticed that i managed to warp my left rotor somehow, so i took it as a sign that it was definitely time to pull out the check book for new brakes.

I went ahead and ordered:

-Braketech Axis Iron front rotors
-ferodo carbon/ceramic pads (will get the part # tomm., they were the ones reccomended by braketech today on the phone for the track and these rotors)
-motul RBF600 fluid

here is my dilemma. Since JDgun beat me to the punch on those brembo HP's i was lusting after (fair and square. hope you're enjoyin 'em), i am considering several different budget options for the front now, which are:

-ZX14 (or 07 zx7) calipers
-R1 monobloc's
-rebuild of my stock tokico's with fresh seals

i am leaning more towards the ZX14 calipers, as they seem to offer the best bang for the buck, so to speak, and should have no problem accepting my gen 1 SS lines hooked up to my 636 radial master cyl., but the R1 monoblocs are considerably cheaper and seem to have a fair number of true believers as well (however, they may pose a problem and require a new set of lines).

so let's hear what the experienced gentlemen out here have to say...

afterthought: does anyone know if the pads intended for stock gen1 10 calipers will work with zx14 calipers >? i don't think so, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by TR-10; 02-26-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 01:55 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Sounds like your in need of some hardware my good man..

Yes the Nissin zx14 & 07 zx6r calipers are exactly the same and from the members here that have made this switch have had nothing but positive feedback and comments no matter what MC they had, ie OEM 05, OEM 05 zx6r or 06,7 zx10 radial and naturally any aftermarket Brembo radial.

The OEM pads from the Tokicos/ 04,5 will not fit the newer Nissins on the zx6r or zx14.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 02:02 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

ZX14 (or 07 zx7) calipers ftw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks for clearing that pad question up, BD.

i may end up having to keep the pads NIB to return them for a set for the ZX-14 (it's looking more and more like this will be the chosen path).

on the ZX-14, what size were the rotors ? i believe the gen1 10's were a 300mm. i went with an oversize 310mm kit from braketech, which basically includes a spacer set to accomodate the new larger size, so i'm curious to know if 14 calipers will be a direct mock-up and accept the spacer kit (assuming they used 300mm rotors. i would also go ahead and assume that if for some reason the 14 brought 310mm rotors, that the spacers wouldn't be necessary and the calipers would line up perfectly with the new braketech 310mm's. confusing enough ? lol.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 02:19 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

if I was poor like you, I buy the ZX14 calipers.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 03:42 AM
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?

Posting Frequency

since its look like you got the funds, why not go brembo all the way ?
post #7 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to jdgun_13
DUDE the 14/6r NISSINS are very good indeed that is what i pulled off the 10r (since i got the brembo hp's ) i highly recommend them.
Since you are going to bigger rotors, you will need them spacers as the 14 has thicker mounting portions on the fork leg, (NOT THE CALIPER).
the Nissins on my 10 were from a 14 & the Nissins on my 05 6r were from a 6R and they are exactly the same caliper.

for now the nissins are the hot ticket, until peope start wrecking the new 10R's and cbr1k, as they have monoblock tokico's on them.
Also Brembo will be coming out with a 108mm Monoblock like the 1098 within the next month or so, if you can beleive them being on time.

And for the record the Yamaha calipers are not true monoblocks
post #8 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky10R View Post
since its look like you got the funds, why not go brembo all the way ?
i wish i had the funds...everything that has been done to my bike has been done over the course of 2 years at a very slow pace. literally meaning that i had to scrape every penny by not eating out as much, and telling the g/f that we couldn't go out on weekends because i needed to save money for "bills" the money i had recently just went to the rotors and pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgun_13 View Post
DUDE the 14/6r NISSINS are very good indeed that is what i pulled off the 10r (since i got the brembo hp's ) i highly recommend them.
Since you are going to bigger rotors, you will need them spacers as the 14 has thicker mounting portions on the fork leg, (NOT THE CALIPER).
the Nissins on my 10 were from a 14 & the Nissins on my 05 6r were from a 6R and they are exactly the same caliper.

for now the nissins are the hot ticket, until peope start wrecking the new 10R's and cbr1k, as they have monoblock tokico's on them.
Also Brembo will be coming out with a 108mm Monoblock like the 1098 within the next month or so, if you can beleive them being on time.

And for the record the Yamaha calipers are not true monoblocks

great info, jd, thanks

i wold love to be able to afford a set of 108mm brembo monoblocks, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards for me. wanna sell me your 14/6 calipers, since you're the high roller on brembo's now (it's worth askin, lol)

another thing i noticed....i know the brembo monobloc's and HP's are their two upper level calipers. does anybody have any information on the brembo GP wideband 4 piston 2 pad setup ? i've seen it in various catalogs, but i've searched relentlessly on the forum and the net, to no avail.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 12:33 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Just give the Berringer and Descatari (spelling) calipers a look, they are similar to the Brembos as far as quality goes and a little cheaper in price. ISR also makes a 108mm 6 piston radial caliper for aroung 1.5k
post #10 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to jdgun_13
when i say monoblock, i am talking what is supposed to be priced at under $800 a set.

Before ducati starting bitching the 100mm spaced CAST monoblocks (1098) were going for $500 a set brand new. now brand new are right around $900
9r to 10r, could easiy use these by just changing the ohlins fork brackets out...just a though being ebay for the monoblocks are around $500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in