PSA: 04 Kickstand Safety Switch Causing Cutout at 10,000 RPM - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-19-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
kz2zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 184
Posting Frequency
 
PSA: 04 Kickstand Safety Switch Causing Cutout at 10,000 RPM

I had an intermittent cutout at around 10,000 RPM when the air temp was under 90'.

Sucked while leaned over, and sucked while racing.

I removed the kickstand safety switch (kickstand was long removed), and crimped the wires together in a blind terminal.

No more issues.

If you have a strange miss/cutout at higher revs, this may be your culprit. Another place to check is the bar killswitch.

HTH,

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son

ASMA 47
WERA 147
kz2zx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Bloo Moderator
 
bluedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SAC,CA
Posts: 23,742
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz2zx View Post
I had an intermittent cutout at around 10,000 RPM when the air temp was under 90'.

Sucked while leaned over, and sucked while racing.

I removed the kickstand safety switch (kickstand was long removed), and crimped the wires together in a blind terminal.

No more issues.

If you have a strange miss/cutout at higher revs, this may be your culprit. Another place to check is the bar killswitch.

HTH,
yep, the kick stand is part of many safety measures....but only vibration can cause what you described and should have nothing to do with RPMs :headshake
bluedevil is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
kz2zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 184
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
only vibration can cause what you described and should have nothing to do with RPMs :headshake

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess you've never had a 'Signals and Systems' class in college, have you? I'll even guess that terms like 'frequency domain' and 'harmonic coupling' aren't ringing bells.

That switch is getting sampled at some frequency, obviously. At some frequency the buzz breaking the contact is aligning with the sample frequency or a harmonic of it.

It has everything to do with frequency.

I was on the bike, thanks.

The '05 636 I had had the same issue, too. Same fix, same frequency/RPM.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son

ASMA 47
WERA 147

Last edited by kz2zx; 04-19-2008 at 08:45 PM.
kz2zx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2008, 09:09 PM
GP Rider
 
McHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 1,420
Posting Frequency
       

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering"-Bruce Lee
McHaggis is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Starbucks Connoisseur
 
Static IP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Beverly Hills
Posts: 4,368
Posting Frequency
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz2zx View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess you've never had a 'Signals and Systems' class in college, have you? I'll even guess that terms like 'frequency domain' and 'harmonic coupling' aren't ringing bells.

That switch is getting sampled at some frequency, obviously. At some frequency the buzz breaking the contact is aligning with the sample frequency or a harmonic of it.

It has everything to do with frequency.

I was on the bike, thanks.

The '05 636 I had had the same issue, too. Same fix, same frequency/RPM.

Huh? What?
are you talking about a song?

09' Ice Blended Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino
10' Venti Mocha Latte spilled some of it, was too hot
11' Peppermint Mocha W/Extra Shot of Espresso
12' Eggnog Venti Latte
13' Bagel
14' Standard Drip (since a Venti latte went up 20 cents)


Static IP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to buy upper fairing with single light cutout? inginekilla Performance and Tech 1 02-22-2007 10:19 PM
The Zx-10r Is Causing Brain Damage Gurm 10 The Out House 11 03-29-2006 08:51 AM
Anyone remove their kickstand and switch? yehzx10r Performance and Tech 4 08-03-2005 07:02 AM
Brakes hanging, causing bad shimmies... JonnyQuest The ZX-10R 6 11-09-2004 01:14 PM
Coolant leak pics - what do you think is causing it? Ghost The ZX-10R 17 08-10-2004 07:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome