Projector headlight conversion ALMOST complete...Need your HELP - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Projector headlight conversion ALMOST complete...Need your HELP

I have never been pleased with the headlight performance of my ZX10R. I seldom ride at night, but the times that I have, I was dissapointed at how poor the illumination was. As many of you have done as well, I adjusted the reflectors, and used brighter bulbs, all with no success. I have an HID kit, and it definitely puts out more light but the light dispersion is poor in comparison to the HID projectors on my Honda S2000.

For my project, I ended up using the projector lamps from an '05 Yamaha R1. It took some trimming but it fits beautifully in place of the reflector on the ZX10R. I even retained some adjustability via the stock adjusters. Even though these projectors were not HID specific, the lighting pattern, and intensity is incredible.

Anyhow, I will post pics and a brief step by step once I complete this project. However, I have one last problem that I need to solve and I hope someone might have an idea here.

The bulb mount on the R1 projector is a little longer than the ZX10R's and extends farther out the back of the headlight unit. As a result, I cannot use the stock screw on headlight caps to seal the unit. I could cut out a 2 3/8" hole in the cap, and it would fit perfectly. The problem is, the gaps will let in debris and water into the headlight unit housing and that is unacceptable.

Thanks guys! I have been staring at this for far too long, and figure someone with a fresh perspective might see something I am missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 02:22 PM

Posting Frequency

post #3 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I knew that was coming..... lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Jay
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I was thinking about this for the HID conversion kit where you need to drill the caps for the wires to come out.

Try finding a rubber electrical grommet. Carve the hole out a bit bigger to allow for the grommet.

Post pics dude so we can see how you did it, and what your situation is.
post #5 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 02:46 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Rspec,

Pics of how it is right now would help with our thought process.

But Jay is heading in the right direction. You might be able to find some type of rubber 'o' rings of grommet in the electrical or plumbing areas of a hardware store. Lowes or Home Depot might have something, but Ace usually has a better selection of oring and such.

"Any man who says he is an AMERICAN, but something else also, isn't an AMERICAN at all.
We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG .... We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH LANGUAGE...
And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the AMERICAN PEOPLE" TR
post #6 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 02:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

You know what might also work, depending on the size of the gap and if it is the same size all the way around. You might be able to use the rubber spilnes that hold screens on doors or pool enclosures, but the biggest I have ever seen that is 1/8" - 3/16" in diameter.

Just another thought.

"Any man who says he is an AMERICAN, but something else also, isn't an AMERICAN at all.
We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG .... We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH LANGUAGE...
And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the AMERICAN PEOPLE" TR
post #7 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Jay
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have used the ones from radio shack before in boating applications for wires.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
post #8 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 02:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Speaking of boating applications. I have seen on some boats large gromets used where cables or wires go thru the firewalls on the boats to protect the fiberglass.

Even if you could find 'U' shape small rubber channel in lengths, that might do the job.

post #9 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Jay
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecoast 10R
Speaking of boating applications. I have seen on some boats large gromets used where cables or wires go thru the firewalls on the boats to protect the fiberglass.

Even if you could find 'U' shape small rubber channel in lengths, that might do the job.
Exactly, coming from a boater myself also.

Definately, post some pics rspec, it would help ALOT.
post #10 of 45 Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I have two other ideas.

1. You might want to look at the various rubber weatherstripping for the automotive industry or even the various weatherstripping available for the homes.

2. This is the redneck engineering in me coming out. (If is was mykl it would be coonass , had to be said) but anyways. A quick and dirty way would be to try and split vacuum line or something as flexible as that and slide it over the edge of the cover just like a grommet.

Just some more thoughts. I've put more thought into this thread than I have work today. But this is more fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in