Power Commander Question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Power Commander Question

Well I put my PC into my new bike and I think the custom map is running extremely lean. The RPMS at idle are fine but if I bump the throttle it bogs then picks up RPM then seems all fine and dandy. Something is def. not right. I figured that because my 05 was really rich when I had it tuned. Now I am waiting on the little cable with the battery connecter because I lost mine. My tuner told me my firmware needed to be updated when I had the chance. I am wondering if the Fuel firmware and Ignition firmware are all that needed to be updated? I am new to this tuning thing myself usually I just get it tuned, but funds are tight. I know the map is too much and I just want to put where I can ride it. Thanks guys for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Sorry little history, owned a 05 had it custom tuned...friend wrecked it picked up an 04 and thats why the PC has moved between bikes
post #3 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

You have a couple of options. You can download a map of Power Commander's website, but you already know those are extremely basic maps, (sticky) "PC map postings" or unplug the PC (so it runs better) and just wait til you have the funds for a dyno run. I'm sure your tuner already told you... you should always allow for your bike to get up to running temperature.

If you are only running your PC III usb and no other units i.e. Ign mod or multi hub, then don't worry about updating the firmware.

Question for ya? How do you know its running lean?

06 ZX14
06 ZX10

"If your actions inspire others to dream more,learn more,do more and become more, you are a leader". John Quincy Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I am only guessing the lean, My old bike was running extremely rich and I know the map was leaned out a good bit. I could be wrong but I was just making an assumption. I know that at low RPMs it falls out and runs like ass. Almost like a fouled plug. I just changed the plugs not two ago so I don't feel like doing that mess. Just going to mess with the power commander first then do the bastard plugs if stuff is still screwy.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Post a pic of the plugs so we can have some idea whether it's running lean or rich. If not, we are shooting into the dark.

Post your map or email it to me.

06 ZX14
06 ZX10

"If your actions inspire others to dream more,learn more,do more and become more, you are a leader". John Quincy Adams
post #6 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I will as soon as I home. I just swapped everything over from the old bike and changed the plugs and they are brand new I have only turned the bike on twice since its been running like crap. I'm going with what I can get to easier. I just don't feel like pulling my plugs again haha. I just picked up a usb to mini usb to plug my bike up into the computer so I will try and get all the info out.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

pull one that is easist to get to if there is one. White is lean, black specks on the porciline(sp) in the center is a sign of detonation.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #8 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
I will as soon as I home. I just swapped everything over from the old bike and changed the plugs and they are brand new I have only turned the bike on twice since its been running like crap. I'm going with what I can get to easier. I just don't feel like pulling my plugs again haha. I just picked up a usb to mini usb to plug my bike up into the computer so I will try and get all the info out.
Plug in and upload the existing map from the PC module to the computer, open it up in power commander software. Then compare the fuel map to ones you can find on this msg board as well as the maps from the Dynojet site. The software allows you to look at several maps simultaneously and it will highlight the areas where the maps differ, pay close attention to the areas of the RPM range where you feel like you are having problems. You might just download a basic Dynojet map to the bike straightaway and see if it will run decently, then tune it further later.

You should be able to isolate the problem with time through trial-and-error changes. It will take longer than a shop armed with the right equipment but if you dont have the funds then you have to go with what you have...your laptop, your butt dyno, and your time.

Key is small changes, and dont change too many things at the same time.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

This is what I am going to try and do tonight atleast get it to a base map from dyno jet just to see if it will run somewhat normal. I am ok with running a map like that for the winter because I might not get to ride too often. Spring I will have it back to the tuner but I really just need to get it rideable because at this point its not. The bike cranks awesome idles great, but as soon as you give it gas it bogs pretty good then pics up RPM and revs fine. Tonight I will see. I don't have a laptop so I am sure the ole lady is going to be thrilled with the bike in the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkt View Post
Plug in and upload the existing map from the PC module to the computer, open it up in power commander software. Then compare the fuel map to ones you can find on this msg board as well as the maps from the Dynojet site. The software allows you to look at several maps simultaneously and it will highlight the areas where the maps differ, pay close attention to the areas of the RPM range where you feel like you are having problems. You might just download a basic Dynojet map to the bike straightaway and see if it will run decently, then tune it further later.

You should be able to isolate the problem with time through trial-and-error changes. It will take longer than a shop armed with the right equipment but if you dont have the funds then you have to go with what you have...your laptop, your butt dyno, and your time.

Key is small changes, and dont change too many things at the same time.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I can pull my map that is on the bike and get to the ones I want to load. I turn the key on and it reads throttle position and then it says device not communicating by the time the fuel pump kicks off. I try to send the map and it is saying device error in sending maps. Am I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in