Is Power Commander Necessary with add on? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Is Power Commander Necessary with add on?

Just got a new 2014 ABS 10r, and Yoshi pipe, want to reflash the ECU, but am wondering if it is really necessary to spend more money to get a Power Commander too?

One flash street use, not racing, so no need to monkey with it once it is flashed.

Thanks,

Ninja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2015, 04:06 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

No, the ECU flash will take care of anything a Power Commander would offer you. Plus, the Power Commander is an additional point of failure on the bike. Also, unless you have some idea about tuning an engine, you probably will waste time fiddling with it and not really getting any benefit.

I'm not really trying to talk you out of it. I knew the disadvantages and I still bought a Power Commander with an Autotune module. The one major benefit my setup has is it give me control over the fuel system, so I can do things like fix my loud backfire pop on deceleration myself without any hassles.

One big advantage to the Power Commander are the modules you can install, such as the Autotune, the LCD data screen, quick shifter, ignition module. etc... but it can get expensive.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-19-2015, 04:32 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Doesn't matter who flashes the ECU, you should have the bike ran on the dyno with AFR monitoring. All bikes are different and need to be treated as such. With my send in flashing I used to do, there were a few times where I had to take back in ECUs and lean them out because they naturally ran more rich from the factory. That instance was the exception rather than the rule... Still, that extra $50-75 to run it up and see where the AFR sits can save you a lot of heartache in the long run should the bike not be running in an optimal state.

Here is an example; two 2012, bought the same day from the same dealer fitted with the exact same mods by the exact same owner. Both had identical flashes and then were fine tuned on the same dyno on the same day, one after the other... here is the difference in their fuel maps after tuning. Both bikes ended up putting down the same power FYI.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ddddd.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	333754

So a tune that works for one (or multiple) bike(s) isn't going to be ideal for all of them. Same thing with the downloadable PCV maps; they're tuned rich as a safety measure and are a good starting point but far from ideal for every single bike out there. Same thing with ECU flashes... you can be told that you'll be fine, but unless you put the bike on the dyno to test it, you'll never know. And if it's off, well then you're either 1) on your own and the send in service won't touch up the fuel 2) you get to play back and forth sending the ECU and dyno runs trying to dial in the fueling remotely or 3) you spend another $300 for a PCV and another $300 for dyno tuning to dial it in.

Another option is to just buy the Woolich Racing box (either the USB or the Log Box with autotune/datalogging) and let me set up the ECU for you remotely. Then you have the box in hand, can make new changes when new software changes become available and can retune if you ever change the mods on the bike. No down time or extra shipping costs sending back into the individual who flashed your ECU if there is a bug with a software release, new features are enabled in the flash or if you need a touch up on the tune...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-19-2015, 04:36 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by antaren View Post
you probably will waste time fiddling with it and not really getting any benefit.
Not entirely true... any send in ECU flash service can benefit from additional tuning. It is nearly impossible to get a send in ECU flash to be spot on fueling in all areas (not just WOT throttle runs) on all bikes.

Here is a before/after of an ECU flash that had a flash with slip on fuel mapping done and then after the bike was fine tuned on a dyno...
Click image for larger version

Name:	10754944_10203229903413346_871204935_n.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	333762

That's a pretty healthy gain across the entire rev range...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in