Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Post crash oil light problem

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Andy B 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've had a look to see if this is covered but can't really find the information I'm looking for so maybe one of you can point me in the right direction.

I had a bit of a low speed high side on my 05 model 10R and the only headache it's giving me is the oil light now stays on if I start the engine. The motor ran for about 30 seconds when the bike was lying on its side (right hand side if that makes a difference) and didn't lose any oil.

When I start the engine it sounds fine, no clattering noises like the ones you get for 15 seconds when you fit a new oil filter and forget to prime it and no smoking as if oil found it's way past the rings when it was left on its side after the motor was switched off.

I'm thinking along the lines of it being either a damaged sensor (shocked by the bang when it landed) or an airlock in the pump but does anyone have a different idea?

The crash damage was cosmetic apart from the right hand rearset punching a hole into the swinging arm and I've got all the bits ready to rebuild it but I don't want to fit everything if I need to strip it down to sort out this problem.

Thanks in advance for any info given.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hope you haven't run it for very long like that!

The problem is most likely that the oil pump has lost its "prime". They don't like pumping air. It occasionally happens during oil changes, too. Loosen the oil filter a turn or two, enough so that the seal is a little bit clear of the block, put a drain pan underneath, and crank the engine over. The idea is to give the air somewhere to go without any back-pressure. Be ready to shut the engine down quickly, because the moment the oil pump starts pumping, it will squirt oil out through the gap. Re-tighten the oil filter and you are good to go.

#3 ·
Also try pulling the rubber boot around the sensor and clean it or use air to dry it clean. The only time my light ever stood on was the only time I washed it with a hose and water...air blasted the sensor and the light went away.

bloo

#4 ·
You just lost the prime, as already stated. If I let my stunt bike run on it's side for more than a few seconds (particularly the right side) the oil light will stay on for about 20-30 seconds... sometimes longer.

#5 ·
Great info :thumbsup: Same thing happened to me on my '08 and loosening the oil filter made my lite go off. Thanks guys :helmet:

#6 ·
It's finally warmed up enough here in the UK for me to throw the bike back together and the trick worked perfectly. Thanks all.

All I need to do now is put the chain back on the bike and give it hell. It's been too long since I rode it and next weekend can't come soon enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.