Post crash oil light problem - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Post crash oil light problem

Hi all, I've had a look to see if this is covered but can't really find the information I'm looking for so maybe one of you can point me in the right direction.

I had a bit of a low speed high side on my 05 model 10R and the only headache it's giving me is the oil light now stays on if I start the engine. The motor ran for about 30 seconds when the bike was lying on its side (right hand side if that makes a difference) and didn't lose any oil.

When I start the engine it sounds fine, no clattering noises like the ones you get for 15 seconds when you fit a new oil filter and forget to prime it and no smoking as if oil found it's way past the rings when it was left on its side after the motor was switched off.

I'm thinking along the lines of it being either a damaged sensor (shocked by the bang when it landed) or an airlock in the pump but does anyone have a different idea?

The crash damage was cosmetic apart from the right hand rearset punching a hole into the swinging arm and I've got all the bits ready to rebuild it but I don't want to fit everything if I need to strip it down to sort out this problem.

Thanks in advance for any info given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I hope you haven't run it for very long like that!

The problem is most likely that the oil pump has lost its "prime". They don't like pumping air. It occasionally happens during oil changes, too. Loosen the oil filter a turn or two, enough so that the seal is a little bit clear of the block, put a drain pan underneath, and crank the engine over. The idea is to give the air somewhere to go without any back-pressure. Be ready to shut the engine down quickly, because the moment the oil pump starts pumping, it will squirt oil out through the gap. Re-tighten the oil filter and you are good to go.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Also try pulling the rubber boot around the sensor and clean it or use air to dry it clean. The only time my light ever stood on was the only time I washed it with a hose and water...air blasted the sensor and the light went away.

bloo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 06:34 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

You just lost the prime, as already stated. If I let my stunt bike run on it's side for more than a few seconds (particularly the right side) the oil light will stay on for about 20-30 seconds... sometimes longer.

2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R-Black
Clear Alternatives Tail Light
2005 Honda F4i-Red
Commuter stuff
2003 Yamaha Zuma-Fairy Silver
TPT 70cc Kit, Leo Vince ZX Exhaust, Malossi Delta Clutch, Scott's Damper Sticker
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Great info Same thing happened to me on my '08 and loosening the oil filter made my lite go off. Thanks guys

Mods..LOR painted black, Gutted cats, Bazazz ZFI + AFM Autotune, Pipercross Race Filter, Removed Secondaries, Block-off plates, Healtech X-TRE, Driven -1/+2 blk/blue, 1/5th throttle, Titax blue shorties, Galfer GP Series SS brake lines, CA Integrated Taillight, Bikelitez Fender Elim., Puig black Z-racing windscreen, Tapeworks black overlays, Headlight tint, Techspec prot., Driven D3 grips, Hotbodies Flushmounts, CRG mirror, Scorpio SR-i900, Kawi solo seat, 8k HIDs, LSL sliders
post #6 of 6 Old 03-28-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy08 View Post
Great info Same thing happened to me on my '08 and loosening the oil filter made my lite go off. Thanks guys
It's finally warmed up enough here in the UK for me to throw the bike back together and the trick worked perfectly. Thanks all.

All I need to do now is put the chain back on the bike and give it hell. It's been too long since I rode it and next weekend can't come soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in