Possible chronic fork lower problem, Help! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-12-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Possible chronic fork lower problem, Help!

I exchanged my stock 2004 forks plus money to get a set of stock 2005 forks with Traxxion Dynamics kit installed and when they work, they are great.

My problem is this. Shortly after installing them last February they began leaking badly (both of them) I took them to GP suspension here in the Portland OR area and they said the lower section where the fork tubes go in were loose and did not have enough (locktite I think they said) from the factory; they were not leaking from the seals. They fixed them and they have been fine until a couple of weeks ago.

Well they are puking oil again, yes both of them, and I think its way too soon. To head off all you arm chair philosophers, I do not wheelie or do other kinds of riding which would/should cause abnormal shock/wear to the forks. As a matter of fact I am unable to ride as much as I did when I first got the bike in Feb 2005 and rode it with no maintenance issues until this issue.

Since the fix, I have attended 5 track days at PIR: very flat, no bumps and done some back road twisty riding in the area I live on any Saturday the weather allows. I am not a commuter, only a fair weather rider as I only enjoy wicking it up a bit in the twisties, so if I can't do that, I don't ride. In other words, not a ton of time on the forks and all on flat surface, no wheelies except the occasional power wheelie out of a turn resulting in very soft under power front tire return to the ground. The most severe work the forks have to do with me on the bike is deep braking compression and trail braking.

I am going to take my forks back to GP to see if they will warranty the work, but I didn't get a "warm fuzzy" after talking with them on the phone about it. I have decided to learn to work on my own suspension, buy the tools to do it, etc., but I was hoping to pick the brains of any of you ZX10 experts who may have experienced this and can give me any information on what tools to buy and how to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Too soon old, too late smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-12-2007, 04:50 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

is it leaking out of the bottom where the valve bolt holds all the innerds in or is it the section of tube that has the friction coating where it mounts to the bottom that holds the breaks on? sounds weird if it is leaking out of the break mounting portion. where did the 05 forks come from? were they used, ebay, or bought new?

Is this where you wanna be when Jesus comes back?
Flags and handlebars should never touch the ground.
GOD made Police so Firemen would have HEROES

MODS: Homemade 1/5 throttle, -1+2 gearing, R1 Master Cyl, Galfer S/B Brake lines, 954 Handlebars, GSXR stock damper, ZX14 mirrors, gutted/shortened/ceramic coated stock exhaust, Hotbodies D/B, Ramair tube brackets, Speedohealer, flush front signals, Fake Sato rearsets, FZ1 Brembo rear master cylinder, Fender eliminated...
post #3 of 3 Old 08-12-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It appears to be leaking from the area where the lower end of the the slider fits into the bottom piece. I bought them fro a Guy on Kawi forums who claims they came off a 2005 Attack Kawasaki race bike which was raced for one season as they always upgrade to the next year model each racing season.

Too soon old, too late smart.

Last edited by eezzrideher; 08-12-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in