Positive Neutral Finder cause shift issues? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-27-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Positive Neutral Finder cause shift issues?

Hey guys,

So many Kawasaki's have a positive neutral finder. I believe that the gen 4 is one of them. Can the positive neutral finder cause shift issues? I have been told that it can, and removing it can make shifting smoother. I missed a few shifts in my last race, and it didnt make me happy. Anybody on hear have any experience with this? I know the positive neutral system is removable, so if it will make my shifting smoother, I will pull it.

Any info will be great.

Thank you

TurboR1: "General rule for making parts for Italian bikes is using the same amount of material (or less) as that for Japanese bikes then charging 2-3 times as much for it... It works on the same principle as women's haircuts/clothing/shoes."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-27-2014, 03:13 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The PNF is nothing more than 3 ball bearings spaced 120* apart in the output shaft. As the shaft spins, the bearings are flung apart and the gears are allowed to move freely on the shaft. When the shaft stops spinning, at least 1 of the bearings falls down and prevents the gears from going past the neutral point.

Unless one or more of the bearings are sticking due to oil sludge or a damaged transmission, they won't cause any difference in the quickness or feeling of the transmission. Removing them would require you to split the crankcase apart, remove the transmission output shaft, disassemble all the gears on the shaft, and remove the bearings. It's a painful job for no benefit other than making it hard to find neutral all the time.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 18 Old 10-27-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Ah, ok, yea, that sounds like a huge PITA. Thanks for the info.

TurboR1: "General rule for making parts for Italian bikes is using the same amount of material (or less) as that for Japanese bikes then charging 2-3 times as much for it... It works on the same principle as women's haircuts/clothing/shoes."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Positive Neutral Finder cause shift issues?

I just like being able to shift into neutral after 1st while rolling down to a stop at a light, like with my R1. With my Kawi, I gotta wait till I come to a complete stop, then shift, or risk it going into 2nd while rolling. Just an inconvenience for me. Never had an issue "finding" neutral though Lol

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-27-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Really, I was just hoping to blame my blown shifts on something other than myself, guess thats out the window.

post #6 of 18 Old 10-27-2014, 09:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackClu View Post
Really, I was just hoping to blame my blown shifts on something other than myself, guess thats out the window.

My Dynojet QS has taught me to shift pretty deliberately. Quite a few times I've just tapped it and it stuck in the same gear instead of up shifting, at WOT. That'll make your ass pucker for a second

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

The only shift this can possibly ever have an effect on is 1st to 2nd. The mechanism has no effect whatsoever on anything else ... not even 2nd to 1st.

Unless you are having some sort of sludge build-up inside the engine which is causing the balls to stick, I can't see how it would cause a problem.

I've never had an issue with finding neutral while rolling ... it's the same as any other bike as soon as you are rolling along.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #8 of 18 Old 10-27-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Well damn, my excuse is officially invalid!

post #9 of 18 Old 10-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackClu View Post
Well damn, my excuse is officially invalid!
I remember in the earlier years of my bike(new) same thing happened to me from time to time then switched to a different oil and things got better almost never happened again....just a suggestion change the Oil type your using now.

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-28-2014, 12:12 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

A bad gear shifter always blames his oil! haha! Just kidding Blu!

I have no issue finding neutral from 1st while rolling, you just need to be gentle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in