Ported Head and Cams? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Ported Head and Cams?

Found a cylinder head for pretty cheap and was considering picking it up and having it ported before I put my bike back together. Is anyone running a ported head on a stock bottom end?

Would running a ported head be worth the time/money spent considering the bottom end is stock? My bike sees alot of street time but plan on getting into drag racing pretty heavily next season.

Any input is appreciated. Also Camshaft suggestions would be nice to have

2006 Kawasaki ZX10R: Currently down for repairs after performing the "Rear End A Car Mod"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I came to find out whoever had mine before me had ported the head some. Bottom end is stock, in short kinda seems as if it had been setup for a bottle. At least the way it sits now even with a tune, its power seems off. Compared to other liter bikes on the same dyno. It makes good power down low then drops off some up top. Kinda as if the added flow is just to much. If it was ported with the bottle in mind, then putting one on again should make it happy. Hopefully find out when spring/summer come back around. Depending on mods and setup may not be worth the money. But as i said i just ended up discovering mine was ported.
post #3 of 108 Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
the 10rs come hand ported from the factory but its not the best "port" job really. its more of just a cleaned up sorta thing. The 10r does not need larger intake ports at all for the cams that we run in the bikes even with the little larger lift cams. Do a search on the forums here for high velocty head porting. I actually just got 2 06 heads that I'll be doing a small port epoxy head on for myself and probably offer it to someone on here.

cams your best bet will be some web camshafts.

if your going to do anything to the head a little better clean up job with matching intake port boots will be all thats needed you do not need to open these ports up at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 108 Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
the 10rs come hand ported from the factory but its not the best "port" job really. its more of just a cleaned up sorta thing. The 10r does not need larger intake ports at all for the cams that we run in the bikes even with the little larger lift cams. Do a search on the forums here for high velocty head porting. I actually just got 2 06 heads that I'll be doing a small port epoxy head on for myself and probably offer it to someone on here.

if your going to do anything to the head a little better clean up job with matching intake port boots will be all thats needed you do not need to open these ports up at all.
I'll take one of them heads when you're done

post #5 of 108 Old 11-23-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Well let me know when you finish up the head maybe I'll take it off your hands!

But on the subject, how much power gain is to be expected by modding the head/cams? Of course I already have full exhaust, pc3, sprockets, butterflies removed, ect. ect.

2006 Kawasaki ZX10R: Currently down for repairs after performing the "Rear End A Car Mod"
post #6 of 108 Old 11-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

I'll be able to tell everyone pretty soon what just an epoxy head can do, like I said I just got these 2 heads to play with so I'll be working on them this week.

it ill really depend on your current mods and cams and degree numbers but they love the small intake port.
post #7 of 108 Old 11-23-2009, 03:46 PM
jcw
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
the 10rs come hand ported from the factory but its not the best "port" job really.
Do they come hand ported or CNC ported, Garth?

I can't believe someone actually hand ports the thousands and thousands of 10r's that come from Kawasaki.
post #8 of 108 Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

I personally don't know, I know no 2 ports look the same and they apparently are just quickly cleaned up but yeah would be crazy if they were all hand "ported" I honestly don't know,, maybe someone can do some searching of what kawi says.
post #9 of 108 Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

From the looks of it whoever had it before me took it upon themselves to open it up more. Joys of buying things used i guess.
post #10 of 108 Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Im pretty sure that they are done by hand at the factory. Also looking at them i would say the valve seats are blended with a machine and the ports are done by hand.

Am i the only one that takes the time to hand blend the seats to the head? It probally does not help hp much but it makes be feel better.

High Velocity Cycles 2005 Ti ZX10R
Greeensboro NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in