Gen 1: 2004-2005 please help no power - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-13-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

please help no power

One morning I got on my bike, it starts right up then lost all power. I checked all the fuses, went through it with a volt meter, the only thing getting power is the connector right actress the positive terminal of the battery. I took a wire ran it from the pos terminal straight to the bottom of the ignition everything comes back on and I can start the bike, but that wire gets red hot almost instantly after I start the bike. So then I decided to take it to the local motorcycle shop they put a new ignition on it charged me 300 and gave it back still not working. I hand no idea what to do next, please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Correct me if I'm wrong: the key is in the "on" position and the instrument cluster does not light up, the fuel pump does not run, the lights/signals/horn do not work.

When you say "bottom of ignition", what do you mean exactly? You hooked it up directly to the starter?

Are you sure you checked all the fuses (including the main fuse)?

First thing would be to take it back to the shop, show them that it still doesn't work, and get the money back.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yea no panel, fuel pump, no lights, its like it has a dead battery but I bought a new one took it to the shop when they had it and they installed it. I'm not sure what you mean by main fuse but I did check that relay that controls the ignition. I talked to the shop they said the ignition might have been bad and caused whatever the problem is, they can't return electrical parts so if I didn't pay them they weren't going to give my bike back. The bottom of my old ignition switch was broken off exposing the wires, that's how I did that but now with the new one I just stick the wire into the connector where the ignition connects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiet View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by main fuse but I did check that relay that controls the ignition.
I mean this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiet View Post
I talked to the shop they said the ignition might have been bad and caused whatever the problem is, they can't return electrical parts so if I didn't pay them they weren't going to give my bike back.
Their business issues are none of your concern. You pay for getting your bike fixed, not for them to install random parts in it. I recommend that you don't do go there again.

Get the service manual (it's in one of the sticky threads in this section) if you don't have it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in