Pistons & Cams - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-27-2005, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Pistons & Cams

Looking for information on pistons and cams for 04 ZX10R, so if anyone has anything please let me know!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-27-2005, 10:55 AM
OG Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to stunnerific_harry
are you looking for stock or aftermarket?

Kip: Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
Pedro: Yes. I don't understand... they say you're not allowed to have pinatas that look like real people, but in Mexico, we do it all the time.
Pedro: Vote for me, and all your wildest dreams will come true.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-27-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Aftermarket. Looking into seeing how much I can get without turboing the bike (I still like to do standups :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Have a look at Ivan's Performance (one of the site sponsors). He made a thread about several incremental improvements to achieve about 170 hp and around 82 - 83 lb.ft of torque (but without changing camshafts or pistons).

I have a suspicion that it will be hard to do much more than that without major compromises in other areas and/or without spending HUGE money on it. The stock pistons are already short-skirt, quite light, rather high compression ratio. (Do you really want to be *stuck* with running race fuel only?) The stock cams already have rather long duration (have a look at the cam timing specifications in the shop manual).

The amount of torque that a normally-aspirated gasoline engine can produce is limited by the amount of air and fuel that it can breathe in. The 82 - 83 lb.ft per litre of displacement which Ivan got is at the outer boundaries of what's normally seen. MotoGP bikes are in this same range - they make their power by making that torque at higher revs, and that requires a lot more internal surgery in order to stay together at those higher revs. Even Formula 1 cars are only slightly higher than this.

If what you are starting with is pretty good, usually wild camshafts only move the torque peak to higher revs (but compromise low-end and mid-range). Is that what you really want ... ? ? ?

I'm not bashing the idea, I'm only trying to make sure you're aware of the issues and costs, and you know what you are getting into ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #5 of 18 Old 03-01-2005, 12:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburmeister
Looking for information on pistons and cams for 04 ZX10R, so if anyone has anything please let me know!!!!!
Pistons if avail. would be from JE or Weisco. Cams if avail from Yosh or WebCam. I believe Attack perf. may now have some 10r motor parts available. Another person who might help, is Kelley Robertson, in Texas. I have lost his ph #(ask for that phone number on the "help me beat pesky" thread) Kelley's conservative motor building philosophy has yielded great motors that don't break. His head work is consistently top notch. Happy motoring!
post #6 of 18 Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburmeister
Aftermarket. Looking into seeing how much I can get without turboing the bike (I still like to do standups :)
A normally aspirated motor will almost never have the hp potential of a turbo. Don't dispair, your 10r will respond very well to a good pipe, and properly tuned power commander. If in your area you have access to a dyno that has the auto tuning link (dyno jet only-I think) you can produce a map that not only takes into account your choice of pipe, but it will also compensate for production variables that your particular motor may have. Happy motoring.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-01-2005, 02:26 PM

Posting Frequency

good info....and nice posting
post #8 of 18 Old 03-05-2005, 04:00 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
You could also look at carpenter racing. They are doing a bunch of work with the 10 right now and could probably give you some good places to get em.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-07-2005, 07:11 AM

Posting Frequency

I Thought Carpenter Racing Was Previously Discussed And There Was A Lot Of Mixed Review On Their Quality....
post #10 of 18 Old 03-07-2005, 11:36 PM

Posting Frequency

Kawaski is releasing a "race kit" that will have engine parts available. I have talked with a few people about it and the stuff is almost all in the us. They are catalogging it right now and should be available some time next month. I know there are pistons, cams, as well as several other VERY trick pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in