Piston ring hone finish. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Piston ring hone finish.

Hello; Mike here. I am helping a friend with a Gen 3 whose engine uses a lot of oil past the rings. He also has a lot of blowby past the rings. We are going to tear the engine down, and re-ring and bearing it. Does anybody know what type of hone finish needs to be on the cylinder for stock rings? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 11:49 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The cylinders are nikasil coated if you need that re coating there's only a few places that can do it because the 10R cylinders are machined into the upper case you just cant remove the liners or block. millennium technologies or US chrome as far as i know are the only folks in the US that can do it to the 10R. I was cocked around by millennium technologies so try US chrome.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 11:55 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

This is it when i got it back its the physical size that causes problems & the risk of damaging the bearing mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	500.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	303873  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 12:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 880turbo View Post
Hello; Mike here. I am helping a friend with a Gen 3 whose engine uses a lot of oil past the rings. He also has a lot of blowby past the rings. We are going to tear the engine down, and re-ring and bearing it. Does anybody know what type of hone finish needs to be on the cylinder for stock rings? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike.
Could u define that "lot of oil past the rings"???

Gen3 : Arata full exhaust , KN air filter , 520 DID Renthal , oem Ecu converted to Race Kawasaki Ecu , milled ported head , Kent camshafts , lowered , Pk shifter , 14k rev limiter . Ecu tuned by TRE ( mr Balogiannis)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsF4A1k_ew
post #5 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The engine uses a lot of oil, and if it is run hard, it blows a lot of oil up into the airbox. I pulled most of the engine apart today, and I cannot see any crosshatch left on the cylinder walls. First time I have seen that with one of these engines. I will for sure have to hone it for the new rings. The engine is not supposed to have that many miles on it, but maybe it does, or maybe someone got it real hot at one time. I just need to know what grit honing stones to use. Thanks. Mike.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2015, 11:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
The engine uses a lot of oil, and if it is run hard, it blows a lot of oil up into the airbox. I pulled most of the engine apart today, and I cannot see any crosshatch left on the cylinder walls. First time I have seen that with one of these engines. I will for sure have to hone it for the new rings. The engine is not supposed to have that many miles on it, but maybe it does, or maybe someone got it real hot at one time. I just need to know what grit honing stones to use. Thanks. Mike.
I just ask u because when i have the crankcase breather hose into the airbox i saw a little film of oil in the back yard ...lol..
So i decided to put a catch tank oil with a breather....When i change oil every 2500km i inspect the catch tank and is has inside 20-30ml but when i saw that into the airbox it makes me scary that something wrong goes with th motor

Gen3 : Arata full exhaust , KN air filter , 520 DID Renthal , oem Ecu converted to Race Kawasaki Ecu , milled ported head , Kent camshafts , lowered , Pk shifter , 14k rev limiter . Ecu tuned by TRE ( mr Balogiannis)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsF4A1k_ew
post #7 of 9 Old 01-12-2015, 06:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Google "Brush Research". Call them, they can tell you what type and grit flex hone you need to buy. They are the makers of the Flex hone, aka Dingleberry Hone, or ball hone.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Talking Cylinders

I think the cylinders on the engine have a coating of Nikasil or nikisil or something like that. That thing are put on the wall to help longivity. So I don'tn know if the honing will destroy thiscoating ?

One question here:

I'm tearing down a gen one engine and I need to pull out the clutch to have access to the bolt under it or near who maintain in place the crankcsae (all the other one are accessible and easy) my question are : How I can unscrew the inner basket of the clutch (need to put out the middle nut), do I need the special tool to maintain in place the famous basket or theirs another way ?

When I will screw the nut again and torque it I need to apply a certain amount of torque with a torque wrench so the famous basket need to stay in place.

Any advice will be welcome.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_12r2000 View Post
I think the cylinders on the engine have a coating of Nikasil or nikisil or something like that. That thing are put on the wall to help longivity. So I don'tn know if the honing will destroy thiscoating ?

One question here:

I'm tearing down a gen one engine and I need to pull out the clutch to have access to the bolt under it or near who maintain in place the crankcsae (all the other one are accessible and easy) my question are : How I can unscrew the inner basket of the clutch (need to put out the middle nut), do I need the special tool to maintain in place the famous basket or theirs another way ?

When I will screw the nut again and torque it I need to apply a certain amount of torque with a torque wrench so the famous basket need to stay in place.

Any advice will be welcome.
Just hold it with something and hit it with an impact it should come right out....

Bear Jew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in