Performance Tuning - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2005, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Performance Tuning

I'm wondering how many of you out there have a custom map and did not get the throttle bodies synced? When you jet carbs you always sync the carbs, but people seem to neglect his aspect of Fi bikes, basically making your map be wrong when you do get the throttle bodies synced.
Am I correct in this? I know people use the cylinder trim to make up for the differences, but if you were to put them in sync there should be no need for the cylinder trim unless yo lean the middle two cylinders more that others.
Just figure we should put this out there and get a nice discussion going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2005, 08:51 AM

Posting Frequency

from the tuners i have talked to, the things i have read the carb should be sync'd once a year depending on the amount of miles you ride....they have to be done less than carbed bikes...
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2005, 09:17 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I don't know if it's as noticable on a I4 as it was on my TLS, but on the TLS I could feel when they needed sync'n. Idle would be rough and on/off throttle transitions would be not as smooth. In the 5 years I had the TLS, they were synced three times. The last time, no adjustments were needed. A mechanic friend told me a good rule of thumb was to check them when you change spark plugs. Mostly just because you're in there anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

The 10r, needs some special 90 degree screw driver...i will probably just have the shop do this at 16k miles when they do the plugs, as you said.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-11-2005, 09:37 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNninja
The 10r, needs some special 90 degree screw driver.
Really? I gotta check the manual. Oh, you mean to adjust them? I could see that. It's pretty tight around those throttle bodies. The mechanical sync for the butterflies is between the left and right banks in the middle and under everthing.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-11-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Yes, for the adjustment...i have the carbtune II, so there is no mercury and I could do it myself, I just hate doing it to be honest.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-12-2005, 06:31 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I've synchronized the throttle bodies on my 10R (w/the Carbtune II) right after I got it. I was surprised at how out of sync they were. The idle definitely improved, as well as on/off throttle changes.

I had the tools to do it, since I had bought them for my 954, so I just figured I'd check the new bike when I was installing the PCIII and had the top of the engine apart.

I'd suggest it to everyone as a worth-it effort, but it is a bitch to get to the adjusting screws. It can be done without special tools (other than the vacuum gauge), but isn't fun.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-12-2005, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Is it like most bikes where they put paint on the springs so the first couple turns are a mf'er? Maybe this is something I should be doing this winter, to make sure the bike is A-ok. I've got a clean filter, newer plugs since bike is new. Pipe and PCIII. I guess after the superbowl I will have no more weekend projects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in